[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Packers vs Niners

League_Champion

15 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Yet he's still statistically better than the vast majority of quarterbacks in the league. Top ten in yards per game, #1 in completion percentage and top 3 QBR. The idea that a guy like Brees or Rodgers (notice you didn't say Brady) can't be a Superbowl caliber player is just completely ridiculous. 

BTW, Brees' QBR remained the same for passes over 20 yds and was actually higher for those over 30 yds and his parents rating was higher for each. Not throwing the ball deep has just as much to do with not having a viable player who can stretch the field as it did having the arm strength to get it there. Brees had never had the arm strength to chunk it 70 yds downfield, but here's still one of the most accurate beyond 20 to ever play the game. 

I think statistically he is certainly good enough, but on the makeup of the teams I am not seeing it.  I included Brady somewhere else, he can be included too.  Although the Patriots are a bit of a unique case, I would much rather have Brees than Brady.   Are the Saints going to be better next year?  Is Brees going to be better in the season he turns 42?  Rodgers team could improve in adding weapons but he's no spring chicken either.  My point is more a function of their ages and their teams than it is that they simply aren't good enough.  This is not a knock on the QB's themselves, they have been studs their entire careers.  

I think both brees/NOS, and rodgers/GBP are both still in great positions to make runs (and still have the skills to do it)... great #1 wrs, excellent rb options, better defenses than then have had in a while (and good defenses). both could use another wr.

NFC is a battleground now with Min, Seattle, now SF is in the game, rams have a load of talent... 

• Thanks 2

NO has has had some pretty nice opportunities for a SB run that have slipped away each of the last 3 seasons.  Kind of wonder if that ship has sailed.  

I don't know enough about Green Bay's situation but a 2 or 3 window for Rodgers maybe?  Every year that goes by for each of these teams, the more solid the all around squad has to be.

FWIW, I think the Vikings are in a worse position than either Saints or Packers.  We have major holes at interior D line, CB, OL, and no cap space, and they will likely extend Cousins, who is good but not great.  But that's why you play the games, you never know.  If those teams can add some weapons at key spots than I can definitely be wrong.  

Edited by purplemonster

Cap space is a big problem for MIN.  Other than that, they need to address the O-Line first and foremost.  Then address the O-Line.  Then maybe draft a CB.  Then look at more O-Line depth.  See a pattern?  :lol:

24 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Then look at the QB 

Meh.  Cousins is what he is.  A very accurate passer when given the time to throw.  He doesn't handle pressure well.  There are two ways to fix that... Either protect him more, or replace him with a better QB.  I'd argue that the first option is much easier than the second.  Neither are "easy," but the Vikings have failed to put adequate resources towards upgrading their O-Line for years.  It was a problem 3-4 years ago with Bradford and Hill at QB.  It was a problem with Keenum, and it's a problem now.  Trying to "find" a better QB than a guy who is, at worst, average in terms of starting NFL QB's, is not easy to do.  Half of the league is looking to find a better QB than what they have.  And, most of THOSE teams would take Cousins in a heartbeat.  Maybe not at the salary that he's being paid, but strictly in terms of talent.

Cousins isn't one of the best QB's in the league, but he's certainly not one of the worst, either.  And, frankly, he won more games for the Vikings than he lost.  When you look at their losses (GBx2, CHIx2, SEA, SF in the playoffs), Cousins wasn't the primary issue in any of them.  O-Line was a huge problem in most, if not all, of those games.  Defense was a problem as well, at least at times.  Play-calling was suspect on a few occasions (although I'd argue that some of that can also be attributed to what they were working with, offensive line wise).  But, pass protection (or lack thereof) is the one true trend.  And, I'm not talking lack of "great" pass protection.  I'm talking give your QB more than 1-2 seconds to make a decision.  

I was on the fence about the Cousins signing when it happened.  But he certainly is an upgrade over Keenum.  Both QB's suffered embarassing playoff losses against teams with dominant pass rush defenses.  The Vikings' potential is limited to "good but not great" until they improve the O-Line.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Meh.  Cousins is what he is.  A very accurate passer when given the time to throw.  He doesn't handle pressure well.  There are two ways to fix that... Either protect him more, or replace him with a better QB.  I'd argue that the first option is much easier than the second.  Neither are "easy," but the Vikings have failed to put adequate resources towards upgrading their O-Line for years.  It was a problem 3-4 years ago with Bradford and Hill at QB.  It was a problem with Keenum, and it's a problem now.  Trying to "find" a better QB than a guy who is, at worst, average in terms of starting NFL QB's, is not easy to do.  Half of the league is looking to find a better QB than what they have.  And, most of THOSE teams would take Cousins in a heartbeat.  Maybe not at the salary that he's being paid, but strictly in terms of talent.

Cousins isn't one of the best QB's in the league, but he's certainly not one of the worst, either.  And, frankly, he won more games for the Vikings than he lost.  When you look at their losses (GBx2, CHIx2, SEA, SF in the playoffs), Cousins wasn't the primary issue in any of them.  O-Line was a huge problem in most, if not all, of those games.  Defense was a problem as well, at least at times.  Play-calling was suspect on a few occasions (although I'd argue that some of that can also be attributed to what they were working with, offensive line wise).  But, pass protection (or lack thereof) is the one true trend.  And, I'm not talking lack of "great" pass protection.  I'm talking give your QB more than 1-2 seconds to make a decision.  

I was on the fence about the Cousins signing when it happened.  But he certainly is an upgrade over Keenum.  Both QB's suffered embarassing playoff losses against teams with dominant pass rush defenses.  The Vikings' potential is limited to "good but not great" until they improve the O-Line.  

You've always been smart.  I don't think Cousins sucks. He can make the throws. I have been in conversations around here he doesn't have a pocket presence. I think to a degree that is true, But you gotta have a pocket too.  I think our o-line this year was improved over last year, at least to the point they added some guys they  improve the run game.  Seems some of that worked. still some work to do. We need a left tackle. period. Rieff will be gone, Rhodes will be gone. think that frees up like 10 mill in cap space. Go get a left tackle. I don;t think Waynes, Hughs, Alexander suck at CB.  Make Rhodes a safety/LB combo, he can tackle, he's big for a CB. Just seems like he makes more plays moving forward vs backwards

Edited by BillyBalata

28 minutes ago, Gopher said:

What you said is exactly right but I'm sorry, you can throw all the stats and circumstances at me you want I just don't see a winner when I look at Cousins. In my opinion he's not the guy who's going to lead a franchise anywhere. I hope I'm wrong because I really like Viking fans and the people of Minnesota. They were great to us when we were there for the Superbowl. Because of that I will always root for the Vikings, as long as they are not playing my beloved Birds. 

24 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

What you said is exactly right but I'm sorry, you can throw all the stats and circumstances at me you want I just don't see a winner when I look at Cousins. In my opinion he's not the guy who's going to lead a franchise anywhere. I hope I'm wrong because I really like Viking fans and the people of Minnesota. They were great to us when we were there for the Superbowl. Because of that I will always root for the Vikings, as long as they are not playing my beloved Birds. 

I don't know whether Cousins could win a SB with a better O-Line or not.  That said, I don't know that he couldn't, either.  What I do know is that nobody wins a SB with a terrible O-Line.  And, there have been below average QB's (much worse than Cousins) to win with good defense (and above average O-Lines).  

I'm not saying that they should never consider upgrading at QB, or that Cousins is the answer for the next 6-8 years.  But, until they improve the line, it doesn't really matter who they throw out there at QB.  And, on the list of things that need to be upgraded, QB isn't near the top of the list.  

4 minutes ago, Gopher said:

I don't know whether Cousins could win a SB with a better O-Line or not.  That said, I don't know that he couldn't, either.  What I do know is that nobody wins a SB with a terrible O-Line.  And, there have been below average QB's (much worse than Cousins) to win with good defense (and above average O-Lines).  

I'm not saying that they should never consider upgrading at QB, or that Cousins is the answer for the next 6-8 years.  But, until they improve the line, it doesn't really matter who they throw out there at QB.  And, on the list of things that need to be upgraded, QB isn't near the top of the list.  

If Nick Foles can win one Cousins can win one. 

3 hours ago, League_Champion said:

We are getting further and further from the point of this thread but I tend to agree with LC.  Cousins is a total statue.  That's a problem.  Sure he throws better than most of the league but good luck winning a SB with a guy like that.  He doesn't have a Tom Brady like brain or Aaron Rodgers like arm.  He's a good thrower with zero intangibles.  If your goal is to be average or better than average, he's your guy.  Winning a SB not so much.  I'd be in favor of not extending Cook or Cousins and start building an OL and defense again, but I understand why that may not be a popular option as the team will likely be worse in the short term. 

Edited by purplemonster

On 1/21/2020 at 1:38 PM, Gopher said:

Cap space is a big problem for MIN.  Other than that, they need to address the O-Line first and foremost.  Then address the O-Line.  Then maybe draft a CB.  Then look at more O-Line depth.  See a pattern?  :lol:

SO you're saying they need some better OL ;)   

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2020 at 9:38 AM, whomper said:

Lets hope Jimmy Dilfer is up to the task

Dilfer was 5-1 in the postseason and won a SB.  148 yard per game.  4 TDs and 4 INTS.

Jimmy G is 2-1 in the postseason and lost a SB.  142 yard per game.  2 TDs and 3 INTS.

5 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

Dilfer was 5-1 in the postseason and won a SB.  148 yard per game.  4 TDs and 4 INTS.

Jimmy G is 2-1 in the postseason and lost a SB.  142 yard per game.  2 TDs and 3 INTS.

That was a joke Bobby, get it? Calm down and stop being a little biatch today! We get it, you lost money. 

• DMD locked this topic