[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Superbowl: 49ers @ KCC

Bier Meister

1 hour ago, Gourdeau said:

As I mentioned in my breakdown. People seemed to forget the monumental collapse that Shanahan had vs the Patriots. He's now part of the 2 worst Superbowl chokes of all time. 

He was the offensive coordinator in Atlanta, he didn't give up 31 unanswered points. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

He called the plays and they didn't score. Run the ball twice inside the 20 and it's. Game over. 

I would blame the HC and defensive coordinator 100× more than I would blame Shanahan. He's a very good young coach and I hope he gets more opportunities on the big stage.

2 hours ago, Shaft said:

He was the offensive coordinator in Atlanta, he didn't give up 31 unanswered points. 

This

And why is it that people always have to declare that one team choked, blew it, collapsed and that's how the other team won. Instead of acknowledging that the winning team had a big comeback. The Chiefs held the 49ers in check, while moving the ball easily. But sure, Shanahan and the 49ers collapsed (20-10 is a bit different from 28-3). 

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

This

And why is it that people always have to declare that one team choked, blew it, collapsed and that's how the other team won. Instead of acknowledging that the winning team had a big comeback. The Chiefs held the 49ers in check, while moving the ball easily. But sure, Shanahan and the 49ers collapsed (20-10 is a bit different from 28-3). 

Call it what you want but Shanahan gift wrapped that game for The Walrus. There's no way around it.

1 hour ago, Gourdeau said:

If you could only bet one with a gun to your head what is more likely. Mahomes wins 1 ring or Mahomes wins 4

I'd say four as well. Even considering how hard it is to reach the Super Bowl, hard to believe he only gets one when his two seasons resulted in an overtime loss in the AFC Championship and then winning the Super Bowl. And the Chiefs improved their defense too. Use the NFL draft to find another Kareem Hunt type and keep mining for O-line and have to believe this team and that offense has legs.

41 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

Does patty need to win 6 to be the goat. I don't think so but he does need to get to 4 imo. 

He's certainly young enough. But if he has 4 Superbowls and holds every NFL passing record when he retires, probably. I'd put him over but he's got a long way to go. Health and longevity will be the key. 

31 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

He's certainly young enough. But if he has 4 Superbowls and holds every NFL passing record when he retires, probably. I'd put him over but he's got a long way to go. Health and longevity will be the key. 

I'm with you. So many things had to go right for NE for Tom Tom get 6 rings. It'll never happen again and I don't think that should be the measuring stick for many reasons I wont bring into this because they've been debated at nauseum.

Only 2 other athletes in all of sports have had a better career start in their 2 years. Jim Brown ( MVP x2 and championship) and the other is Kareem Abdul Jabar ( MVP And Finals MVP). He's certainly on his way 

On 2/3/2020 at 2:56 AM, Bobby Brown said:

:thinking:

I have rewatched the game.  The only coaching issue I had was at the end of the 2nd Q.  He discussed his rationale for not calling the TO with 1:45 on the clock, but I still think he/they should have called it.  

In the 4th Q, I did not have many problems with his play selections for down and distance.  There were a couple of well played batted balls on pass plays, but potential completions make them look like fine calls.  Jimmy missed sanders on a 3rd and 10... sanders only had a step or two and it would have needed to be an excellent pass.

As for jimmy.. I believe he started the game 18/20 or 21 and made some very accurate passes. KCC did an nice job blitzing in the 4th and got enough pressure to alter the game.  Jimmy also made some questionable choices with his reads.  Missed several opportunities with higher risk attempts with wrs open in the 4th. I would love for them to hold onto as many players as possible and look forward to next year. Goingt o be a rough schedule.

Edited by Bier Meister
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bier Meister said:

I have rewatched the game.  The only coaching issue I had was at the end of the 2nd Q.  He discussed his rationale for not calling the TO with 1:45 on the clock, but I still think he/they should have called it.  

In the 4th Q, I did not have many problems with his play selections for down and distance.  There were a couple of well played batted balls on pass plays, but potential completions make them look like fine calls.  Jimmy missed sanders on a 3rd and 10... sanders only had a step or two and it would have needed to be an excellent pass.

As for jimmy.. I believe he started the game 18/20 or 21 and made some very accurate passes. KCC did an nice job blitzing in the 4th and got enough pressure to alter the game.  Jimmy also made some questionable choices with his reads.  Missed several opportunities with higher risk attempts with wrs open in the 4th. I would love for them to hold onto as many players as possible and look forward to next year. Goingt o be a rough schedule.

Yea, it was pretty strange how the lead vanished so quickly though.  Especially after that last Mahomes INT. 

It was a bit odd to go so conservative at the end of the first half.  As one could argue they should have ran the ball more in the 2nd half instead of putting some plays on Jimmy G's shoulders. 

6 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

Yea, it was pretty strange how the lead vanished so quickly though.  Especially after that last Mahomes INT. 

It was a bit odd to go so conservative at the end of the first half.  As one could argue they should have ran the ball more in the 2nd half instead of putting some plays on Jimmy G's shoulders. 

not scoring any points in the 4th was hugh.

I have a breakdown of the 4th Q play selection that I will share at the end of the day if I can find it again.  Much had to do with 8 men in the box.... but even unsuccessful runs work the clock.

Play calling

Kyle Shanahan abandoned the run when the 49ers had the Kansas City Chiefs on the ropes.

If he had just stayed with the ground game, the 49ers would have run out the clock, demoralized the Chiefs and the 49ers would own their sixth Lombardi Trophy.

Instead, he enabled Kansas City to rally from a 10-point deficit for a 31-20 victory in Super Bowl LIV on Sunday night at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, Fla.

Everybody is looking for aspects of the 49ers’ loss to second-guess and find blame. It comes with the territory. And for a team that made it to the Super Bowl on the power and deception of its running game, it only stands to reason that is where people would first look.

So hold on a second while we find the specific examples of where Shanahan repeatedly called pass play after pass play when it was obvious he should have kept grinding out running plays.

Hold on just one second as we get that information for you.

OK, here we go ...

The 49ers led by 10 points with 11:57 after Tarvarius Moore’s interception of Patrick Mahomes at the 13-yard line. Raheem Mostert picked up 6 yards on first down. The 49ers should have run the ball again on second down.

But Jimmy Garoppolo hit George Kittle with a 12-yard pass on second down, so Shanahan can be forgiven for that play call.

On first-and-10, Mostert picked up just 1 yard. OK, Shanahan was justified in calling a pass on second and 9. An incompletion and a false start led to a third-and-14 situation.

That drive was not a good example of Shanahan abandoning the run, so let’s move on to the next series.

When the 49ers took over again with 6:13 remaining, Kansas City had cut the lead to 20-17. The 49ers’ first offensive play was from their own 20-yard line.

Mostert gained 5 yards on first down, setting up a second-and-5. It was wide open for Shanahan to run or pass. The Chiefs had eight defenders in the box. At this stage of the game, Garoppolo had completed 18 of his 22 pass attempts.

Garoppolo faked an inside handoff to Mostert, who if he had been handed the ball would have run into the teeth of the Kansas City defense to the left. Kittle, lined up in the right slot, was wide open for what would have been at least a 10-yard gain in the middle of the field.

But defensive tackle Chris Jones made a play that could rank as the Kansas City’s most important defensive play of the game. He lined up over left guard Laken Tomlinson. Then at the snap, he slid across center Ben Garland and toward right guard Mike Person. Jones was able to get only 2 yards of penetration but he got his hands up in time to bat down the pass at the line of scrimmage.

That set up a third-and-5 play, and it should not be a surprise to anyone that the 49ers tried to throw the ball in that situation. Garoppolo’s pass intended for Kendrick Bourne was incomplete and the 49ers were forced to punt.

The next time the 49ers touched the ball, they were trailing 24-20 with 2:39 remaining. They had to go 85 yards for the go-ahead points.

Mostert gained 17 yards on first down. After a false start, the 49ers passed on first-and-15. That was reasonable. Garoppolo hit Kittle for 8 yards. Then, Bourne made a 16-yard catch to pick up a first down.

On first-and-10 from the 49 with 1:49 remaining, the 49ers were set up to run or pass. Again, Garoppolo had an open receiver -- this time, Deebo Samuel -- and, again, Jones batted the ball down at the line of scrimmage.

Second-and-10, incomplete. Third and 10, incomplete with an overthrow on a deep pass intended for Emmanuel Sanders. Sack on fourth down. Game over.

Up until the fourth-down sack, the 49ers averaged 7.8 yards every time Garoppolo attempted a pass. The 49ers averaged 6.4 yards running the ball.

To look at the raw numbers is one thing. The 49ers attempted 22 run plays compared to 32 passes for the entire game, including the fourth-down sack of Garoppolo that wrapped up the Kansas City victory.

[RELATEDWhy 49ers' stunning 2019 season will be nearly impossible to replicate]

There were a lot of reasons why the 49ers squandered a 10-point lead in the fourth quarter. The pass rush was a step behind Patrick Mahomes. The 49ers had coverage issues on the back end. The offense missed at least one chance for a big play.

It might be easy to find fault with the 49ers’ run-pass ratio. But it is more difficult to find specific instances when Shanahan was just plain wrong to choose pass over run.

But everyone is judged on the results.

Shanahan’s two questionable fourth-quarter decisions of pass over run looked to be good play calls – until the moment they were batted down at the line of scrimmage.

And, ultimately, how those plays turned out is all that will be remembered.

2 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

Yeah, I think Shanahan played this about as good as he could. There were a lot of things at play here, and the Mahomes factor is always in play.

At the end of the first half, you either choose the:

"I need to try and score as many points as I can to combat Mahomes"

or

"I need to make sure I don't give him back the ball here, especially since I get the ball the start of the 3rd quarter."

Both options are essentially correct. I do agree with you that option one should have been the play, mainly because your D was shutting us down, and even 3 points there PLUS the second half kickoff would have given him so many more options.

As far as the 4th quarter goes, Shanahan was in no-man's land there. His team scored enough to get the lead in the 3rd quarter, but didn't score enough to really put it out of reach for the Chiefs.

So really, in the 4th quarter he HAD to still mix it up as far as I was concerned. The Chiefs were selling out HARD to stop the run, and Shanahan knew that. Some of the passing situations were on Garoppolo, but how can you blame Shanahan for going to him - he had been incredibly efficient all game.

And to be honest, the Chiefs defense DID make some plays down the stretch. And made enough to give Mahomes an opening, which is all he needs. The other factor here is that the design of Reid's offense means pass rushers for the opposing D are rushing A LOT for three quarters, AND the speed of our wide-outs means those corners and safeties are chasing those guys around all day.

Those two factors helps to explain why the Chiefs offense has that ability to come back. They are literally built for this and also built for tiring out that defense for later in the game.

Shanahan and the niners almost played the perfect game. 

Edited by Chief Dick
  • Like 2

8 men in the box shouldn't be enough for the 49ers to stop running, IMO, especially because it kills clock.  The Niners have been gashing everyone for 5-10 yards a pop.  No reason to change.  I think Shanahan thought his D would hold out longer than it did and he went to a somewhat conservative game plan which I think bit him in the end.  Hindsight is 20/20 but I don't think playing it conservative is a good choice in all but a few select circumstances.  With an offense as potent as the Niners had, they didn't need to shy from anyone, or start getting away from their strengths, as few had stopped it before.