[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Eli Manning retiring...

irish

4 hours ago, Shaft said:

He won 2 superbowls in a big market beating the best football dynasty, he's a lock. The Manning name and his mellow personality is also going to help big time.

Good for him.

I agree he's a lock, especially coming out of that market and being a media sweetheart. But his overall numbers aren't all that impressive.

"But there's one glaring stat—outside of his 228 career interceptions, which is tied for the 15th most all-time—that's the most important stat: wins and losses. His win-loss record is currently 111-103, which is just barely above .500 (.519)".Mar 8, 2018 EliteSportsNY

2 hours ago, League_Champion said:

I agree he's a lock, especially coming out of that market and being a media sweetheart. But his overall numbers aren't all that impressive.

"But there's one glaring stat—outside of his 228 career interceptions, which is tied for the 15th most all-time—that's the most important stat: wins and losses. His win-loss record is currently 111-103, which is just barely above .500 (.519)".Mar 8, 2018 EliteSportsNY

He's 117-117. But if we look at Warren Moon, he's under .500 with no superbowls..

A two-time Super Bowl MVP alone is a golden ticket to Canton. Plus a 16-year career. Plus holds all NYG passing records. Plus most passing yards in a single postseason (1,219 - 2011). Tied record (8) for most game-winning drives in a season (2011).  4 Pro bowls.  Third all-time for consecutive starts by a QB.

7 hours ago, Shaft said:

He won 2 superbowls in a big market beating the best football dynasty, he's a lock. The Manning name and his mellow personality is also going to help big time.

Good for him.

I gotta be honest and can't believe I'd be in the minority, I'd hate seeing Eli in the HoF.  He is not a HoF caliber player, even with the 2 SBs.  He was average at best. 

I think it's an interesting conversation, for sure.  There was never a point in time where Eli would have been considered the best QB in the game.  Probably not even top 3-4.  So, the criteria of "was he one of the best in the game for a sustained period of time" doesn't really apply.  That said, I do think multiple championships means something, not to mention multiple SB MVP's.  Right or wrong, that carries a LOT of weight in the discussion.  And, there is also something to be said for longevity... He's got all of the NYG career passing records, and is top 5-ish in many categories league-wide.  

Don't really care what his record was.  There are plenty of NFL HOF'ers who played on perennial losing teams.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gopher said:

I think it's an interesting conversation, for sure.  There was never a point in time where Eli would have been considered the best QB in the game.  Probably not even top 3-4.  So, the criteria of "was he one of the best in the game for a sustained period of time" doesn't really apply.  That said, I do think multiple championships means something, not to mention multiple SB MVP's.  Right or wrong, that carries a LOT of weight in the discussion.  And, there is also something to be said for longevity... He's got all of the NYG career passing records, and is top 5-ish in many categories league-wide.  

Don't really care what his record was.  There are plenty of NFL HOF'ers who played on perennial losing teams.  

HOF is for the history and the story of Pro Football. Can you tell that story of without Eli Manning ? I don't think so. 1 superbowl has been done by many. 2 superbowls is another level. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

HOF is for the history and the story of Pro Football. Can you tell that story of without Eli Manning ? I don't think so. 1 superbowl has been done by many. 2 superbowls is another level. 

I agree.  

16 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

Meh...I think you can honestly.  Moon, Namath, even Griese tell more of a story IMO. 

31 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

I tell the story without him in it all the time. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, irish said:

I gotta be honest and can't believe I'd be in the minority, I'd hate seeing Eli in the HoF.  He is not a HoF caliber player, even with the 2 SBs.  He was average at best. 

I don't think you're in the minority; there are a lot of people who feel this way. I look at it like this, you have Manning vs Rivers.....Rivers is a better QB without question, BUT Eli's few accomplishments are just so massive that it can't be ignored. 

4 hours ago, DMD said:

A two-time Super Bowl MVP alone is a golden ticket to Canton. Plus a 16-year career. Plus holds all NYG passing records. Plus most passing yards in a single postseason (1,219 - 2011). Tied record (8) for most game-winning drives in a season (2011).  4 Pro bowls.  Third all-time for consecutive starts by a QB.

4 hours ago, irish said:

Hmm who knows more about football?  

I am pretty ambivalent myself.  He's never been that scary of a QB.  But the fact of the matter is he won 2 SB's and not only did he win them, he was the MVP in both.  Players play their careers trying to get there and he did it when he needed to.  The rest of his career is pretty meh.  It wouldn't tear my heart open to see him not get in though because I am not sure he brought consistent excellence for much of his career. 

12 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Hmm who knows more about football?  

It's obvious. 

1 hour ago, Shaft said:

Spoken like a Cowboy.

So true, the pain i felt when the Giants beat the pats. I was in complete disbelief and it was then i knew the game was fixed and super glue had been used. 

• Haha 1