[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

RIP Kobe

irish

I know it's not football but damn this is some sad news!!  I feel awful for his kids. 

7 minutes ago, Big John said:

Reports said 5 dead and his daughters were on thr helicopter with him.

Christ, even worse!  

Just horrible news.  Horrible.  Horrible. Horrible. Flashbacks to how I felt when Thurmon Munson crashed and even worse Stevie Ray Vaughn passed.

mods: merge with Irish's thread.  did not see it.

Edited by Dcat

There is a report from TMZ that his 13 year old was onboard. 

10 minutes ago, ABearWithFurniture said:

Might as well be from the onion...or Rush Limbaugh

ESPN just confirmed that his 13 year old daughter was in fact on board. 

Edited by irish

Sources: Kobe Bryant was on his way to a travel basketball game with his daughter Gianna when the helicopter crashed. Those aboard the helicopter also included another player and parent.

I think Kobe was coaching his daughter's team.  May God bless both of these families. 

32 minutes ago, ABearWithFurniture said:

Might as well be from the onion...or Rush Limbaugh

TMZ may not have high ethics, but fhey actually have a good track record on accuracy.  

Odd side note, Kobe visited my old AAU basketball teammate 2 weeks ago in rural central WA.  Guy's daughter is a highly ranked senior recruit and trained under Kobe in the summer.  Kobe flew in with his daughter on his private jet to watch a girl's HS basketball game.  Same daughter ln the helicopter apparently.  :(

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

TMZ may not have high ethics, but fhey actually have a good track record on accuracy.  

Odd side note, Kobe visited my old AAU basketball teammate 2 weeks ago in rural central WA.  Guy's daughter is a highly ranked senior recruit and trained under Kobe in the summer.  Kobe flew in with his daughter on his private jet to watch a girl's HS basketball game.  Same daughter ln the helicopter apparently.  :(

I agree I have actually found TMZ to be fairly accurate.  Rip Kobe

• Like 1

9 hours ago, purplemonster said:

I agree I have actually found TMZ to be fairly accurate.  Rip Kobe

I mentioned lack of ethics.  I see reports of police criticizing TMZ reporting the story before family could be notified.

Edited by Bobby Brown

26 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

I mentioned lack of ethics.  I see reports of police criticizing TMZ reporting the story before family could be notified.

Would they have criticized LA Times or ESPN if they reported it based on the same information and with the same timing? 

I am wrecked on so many levels.  I wasn't a huge Kobe fan at first, but the guy grew on me... more so after his playing career ended. He was a fixture 'round these parts, even going to my wife's Starbucks on many occasions.  As a dad with a daughter, Laker fan and someone who appreciates greatness when it's apparent, I am just heartbroken.  

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 3:34 PM, Dcat said:

Just horrible news.  Horrible.  Horrible. Horrible. Flashbacks to how I felt when Thurmon Munson crashed and even worse Stevie Ray Vaughn passed.

mods: merge with Irish's thread.  did not see it.

I thought of Stevie Ray too when I heard the news . I loved that guy . Kobe was a ferocious competitor . That's why people that aren't even Lakers fans gave him respect on top of his obvious talent . He seemed like a doting father and an all around good man . Horribly sad situation , especially with his daughter onboard . I feel terrible for the other families and passengers as well. I saw there was a Father and mother with their daughter who passed as well, and of course others . Just sickening