[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

RIP Kobe

irish

40 minutes ago, whomper said:

I thought of Stevie Ray too when I heard the news . I loved that guy . Kobe was a ferocious competitor . That's why people that aren't even Lakers fans gave him respect on top of his obvious talent . He seemed like a doting father and an all around good man . Horribly sad situation , especially with his daughter onboard . I feel terrible for the other families and passengers as well. I saw there was a Father and mother with their daughter who passed as well, and of course others . Just sickening

I am not a huge Kobe fan, even disliked some things about him early in his career. But I acknowledge his greatest as an athlete and being the face of the NBA and a champ for the Lakers. This tragedy didn't really shake me that hard, the last celebrity to die that really hit me hard was Robin Williams. This will impact people differently, I know some people that are heart broken and can barely function, others who it barely impacts. Having lost people in life already (including parents who were 80, a brother who was only 65 and some friends at 50 or less) I've had far more personal losses in life, so its rare to be that sad over losing somebody I didn't really know.

Most of the people that died left close loved ones behind

- Kobe & Gigi - Kobe's wife and 3 kids

- Coach John Altobelli, his wife Keri and daughter Alyssa - have 2 surviving children

- Christina Mauser (Kobe's assistant coach for travel team) - husband Matt and at least one child

- Sarah & Payton Chester (mother&daughter) - husband and 2 sons 

- pilot Aara Zobayan - no mention of a family from what I've read, but even a 55 year old single guy like myself has some family who care and will miss me

Edited by stevegrab

18 hours ago, Big John said:

The basketball HOF only requires 3 years of retirement, so Kobe was first nominated in 2019 for the 2020 class.

Good catch! They changed the rules in 2017. This will be an emotional ceremony.

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

- Coach John Altobelli, his wife Keri and daughter Alyssa - have 2 surviving children

- Christina Mauser (Kobe's assistant coach for travel team) - husband Matt and at least one child

- pilot Aara Zobayan - no mention of a family from what I've read, but even a 55 year old single guy like myself has some family who care and will miss me

Yes, let's not forget that there other Families suffering immensely tonight. We need to keep them in our prayers as well. 

16 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I am not a huge Kobe fan, even disliked some things about him early in his career. But I acknowledge his greatest as an athlete and being the face of the NBA and a champ for the Lakers. This tragedy didn't really shake me that hard, the last celebrity to die that really hit me hard was Robin Williams. This will impact people differently, I know some people that are heart broken and can barely function, others who it barely impacts. Having lost people in life already (including parents who were 80, a brother who was only 65 and some friends at 50 or less) I've had far more personal losses in life, so its rare to be that sad over losing somebody I didn't really know.

Stevie Ray Vaughan probably hit me the hardest as far as celeb deaths . I also took it hard when John Ritter died . Its like you said . It doesn't compare to the death of someone you were close to in real life . It does make you sad though. These people had an impact on you . I had so many great times cranking Stevie Ray and trying to learn his stuff on guitar . I remember in grammar school my friends and I would try and show off in front of the girls by acting like Jack tripper . Phil Hartman got me too . Its when it happens suddenly that it really hits home

• Like 1

Just now, Chief Dick said:

I'm sorry, but this just made me laugh out loud.

:lol:

That sexy Jack Tripper....

:lol: We would copy his physical comedy . Fall over the desks etc..

20 hours ago, stevegrab said:

We live next door to Mauser's best friend.  She's obviously devastated.

Mauser's husband is the frontman for a popular local rock cover band that plays festivals, etc.

This one hits home, man.  On all accounts.  I've been a mess since.

On 1/26/2020 at 1:44 PM, Bobby Brown said:

TMZ may not have high ethics, but fhey actually have a good track record on accuracy.  

Odd side note, Kobe visited my old AAU basketball teammate 2 weeks ago in rural central WA.  Guy's daughter is a highly ranked senior recruit and trained under Kobe in the summer.  Kobe flew in with his daughter on his private jet to watch a girl's HS basketball game.  Same daughter ln the helicopter apparently.  :(

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-01-30/gigi-kobe-bryant-teen-basketball-star-hailey-van-lith