[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

All-Decade Teams

Gopher

I follow the Vikings on FB, which prompted me to vote on the 2010-2019 all decade team.  A few observations (# of votes per position in parentheses)....

QB - I guess it's Cousins by default?  Other options were Keenum, Ponder, Bradford, and Teddy.  Yikes.  On the other hand, it could be worse, I suppose.  

RB (2) - Hard to beat Peterson and Cook.  That said, the rest of the list leaves something to be desired.... Gerhart, Asiata, Murray, McKinnon.  Then again, compared to some of the other positions, this might be one of the "deeper" ones.  

WR (3) - Boy, other than the guys we have now, it's been a pretty rough decade.  Thielen, Diggs, Harvin, Jarius Wright, Greg Jennings, and Patterson.  Harvin was my third choice, but it honestly feels like he hasn't played for the Vikes in about 15 years.  :lol:

TE (1) - Other than Rudolph, they've had nothing of note.  Next best option is probably Visanthe Shiancoe.  :unsure:

DE 2) - Hard to believe that either Griffin or Hunter gets left off the list.  I went with Jared Allen and Griffin, only because Hunter is just now reaching his prime.

LB (3) - Kendricks, Barr, Greenway.  Only other guys worth considering would be EJ Henderson or Jasper Brinkley, I guess?

DB (4) - Can I just vote for Harrison Smith and Antoine Winfield twice each??  The rest of the list is pretty rough.

KR (1) - I actually considered Patterson as my #3 WR until I realized I could vote for him here.  

I'm not even going to list the O-Line, or the rest of the special teams.  Put it this way, our best PK of the decade is a guy who is known for being a Packer (Longwell).  :doh:

17 hours ago, Gopher said:

I follow the Vikings on FB, which prompted me to vote on the 2010-2019 all decade team.  A few observations (# of votes per position in parentheses)....

QB - I guess it's Cousins by default?  Other options were Keenum, Ponder, Bradford, and Teddy.  Yikes.  On the other hand, it could be worse, I suppose.  

RB (2) - Hard to beat Peterson and Cook.  That said, the rest of the list leaves something to be desired.... Gerhart, Asiata, Murray, McKinnon.  Then again, compared to some of the other positions, this might be one of the "deeper" ones.  

WR (3) - Boy, other than the guys we have now, it's been a pretty rough decade.  Thielen, Diggs, Harvin, Jarius Wright, Greg Jennings, and Patterson.  Harvin was my third choice, but it honestly feels like he hasn't played for the Vikes in about 15 years.  :lol:

TE (1) - Other than Rudolph, they've had nothing of note.  Next best option is probably Visanthe Shiancoe.  :unsure:

DE 2) - Hard to believe that either Griffin or Hunter gets left off the list.  I went with Jared Allen and Griffin, only because Hunter is just now reaching his prime.

LB (3) - Kendricks, Barr, Greenway.  Only other guys worth considering would be EJ Henderson or Jasper Brinkley, I guess?

DB (4) - Can I just vote for Harrison Smith and Antoine Winfield twice each??  The rest of the list is pretty rough.

KR (1) - I actually considered Patterson as my #3 WR until I realized I could vote for him here.  

I'm not even going to list the O-Line, or the rest of the special teams.  Put it this way, our best PK of the decade is a guy who is known for being a Packer (Longwell).  :doh:

Lots of guys here most Huddlers won't know or only barely remember.  I agree with the large majority of it. For DB I would say Rhodes because overall he was very good if not excellent, the drop off has been severe and recent.  Anthony Harris is close to the best safety in football right now but his success has been recent.  I would still take Hunter over Allen but I'll concede Allen had a pretty amazing 2011 season so hard to argue with that.  

Edited by purplemonster

37 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

Lots of guys here most Huddlers won't know or only barely remember. 

Wow, that just goes to show how much this place has changed. Most old school Huddlers could name off every single offensive player for every single team. We're only talking about 10 years too. I certainly know every player Gopher listed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Wow, that just goes to show how much this place has changed. Most old school Huddlers could name off every single offensive player for every single team. We're only talking about 10 years too. I certainly know every player Gopher listed.

yep

26 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

I guess I am not sure what you mean.  You think old school Huddlers could name the Vikings RG?  I mean we are talking about all decade guys so a lot more name recognition but he was mentioning guys like Jasper Brinkley, Visanthe Shiancoe, and EJ Henderson, most Vikings fans can barely remember those guys, let alone non fans.

Edited by purplemonster

1 hour ago, purplemonster said:

I guess I am not sure what you mean.  You think old school Huddlers could name the Vikings RG?  I mean we are talking about all decade guys so a lot more name recognition but he was mentioning guys like Jasper Brinkley, Visanthe Shiancoe, and EJ Henderson, most Vikings fans can barely remember those guys, let alone non fans.

EJ Henderson was an IDP beast for a while, a tackle monster and Shiancoe may not have been a HoF candidate, but he was pretty good. As Huddlers go, you're talking about guys who used to score their fantasy teams from the USA Today on Monday mornings and who would clamor to buy every single FF and draft mag they could get their hands on as well as both Athlon and Lindy's and pour over every page. I can't count how many hours I spent building my own rankings and draft cheat sheets. I may not know all the offensive lines, but you bet I knew all the rest. 

2 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

EJ Henderson was an IDP beast for a while, a tackle monster and Shiancoe may not have been a HoF candidate, but he was pretty good. As Huddlers go, you're talking about guys who used to score their fantasy teams from the USA Today on Monday mornings and who would clamor to buy every single FF and draft mag they could get their hands on as well as both Athlon and Lindy's and pour over every page. I can't count how many hours I spent building my own rankings and draft cheat sheets. I may not know all the offensive lines, but you bet I knew all the rest. 

As did all of us in those days. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, purplemonster said:

I think skill players. QB, RB, WR & TE I could name. 

20 minutes ago, loaf said:

Agree, the general assertion that there are "lots here that many won't know or remember" would specificalyl relate to non skill positions. I don't play IDP like some do, but I'd recognize more than just your star defensive players like JJ Watt because I watch a ton of NFL (5-6 games every week, basically every game I get televised). I recognize several of the Vikings defenders listed (Allen, Greenway, Kendricks, Winfield

I'm sure the makeup of posters here has changed, and I know more fans are casually involved in the sport, they may fantasy football without watching many games at all, just watching highlights (I include Red Zone in that). 

1 hour ago, loaf said:
1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Agree, the general assertion that there are "lots here that many won't know or remember" would specificalyl relate to non skill positions. I don't play IDP like some do, but I'd recognize more than just your star defensive players like JJ Watt because I watch a ton of NFL (5-6 games every week, basically every game I get televised). I recognize several of the Vikings defenders listed (Allen, Greenway, Kendricks, Winfield

I'm sure the makeup of posters here has changed, and I know more fans are casually involved in the sport, they may fantasy football without watching many games at all, just watching highlights (I include Red Zone in that). 

I think we probably agree on this more than we disagree.  I think personally I could name almost all QB/RB/WR/TE of all teams.  Or get close.  There may be a few TEs I can't recall on a few teams.  I looked at all NFL teams and I am blanking on Jags and Skins TE's for instance.  Marcedes Lewis left and I can't recall who the replacement is.  Skins I don't know who backed up Reed off hand   Marginal questions like that I may not know but I think a lot of huddlers know the main guys for each team.  They may not know them as well as 10 years ago though.  

2 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

.  Skins I don't know who backed up Reed off hand   Marginal questions like that I may not know but I think a lot of huddlers know the main guys for each team.  They may not know them as well as 10 years ago though.  

Vernon Davis who was also injured last year,

• Like 1

I think it makes a big difference if you play IDP/dynasty or not, obviously.  Those of us who have played in those leagues for 10-15 years (or maybe longer :unsure: ) will recognize the backup middle linebacker from 10 years ago on most teams. If I only played in non-IDP leagues, however, my knowledge of players on the defensive side of the ball (in terms of teams outside of Minnesota) would be much more limited.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, rajncajn said:

I'm one of the new guys.  I wish I had gotten into FF sooner, not sure why I didn't.  I started 5 season ago and between Yahoo, Huddle and Rotowire, all the work is done for me.  Yet I still manage to spend many hours trying to figure out how to improve my dynasty team.  If I got into this before those sites were available I'd probably be divorced and homeless (but I'd still have a winning record).

19 hours ago, rajncajn said:

19 hours ago, skylive5 said:

As did all of us in those days. 

Amen... COUNTLESS hours of research and getting scores for fantasy matchups

• Like 1

Honestly I found Huddle because I was looking for a knowledgeable fantasy football forum to bounce things off people and vice versa.  And I felt like this was a place where most people knew generally what they were talking about and were helpful enough. I freely admit I probably don't have the knowledge that some of you guys do we've been doing this for many many years. I'm pretty recent within the last seven.  

I’ve probably told this story before, but the earliest I recall playing FF was 8th grade.  I’m 44 how, so that was basically 30 years ago.  No internet.  Not really much for sports radio.  My parents didn’t even have cable, so no ESPN.  

My #1 objective in life on Mondays was to get a copy of the sports page that had all of the box scores.  Either the USA Today or Mpls Star Tribune.  Sometimes I’d ask my dad to stop, on the way to school, so I could grab one from a gas station.  Other times, I would walk to the nearest paper stand/dispenser.  Worst case, I’d go to the school library and either take it with me,  or browse the scores/stats, all the while taking meticulous notes.  

Sometimes, both sports pages would already be gone.... in that case, I knew that one of my buddies had already gotten their hands on them, as there were probably only a handful of us, in the entire school of roughly 1000 students, who had any interest in stealing the sports page from the library.  😂

Then, on Tuesdays, I’d grab the paper again, to get the MNF box score.  Sometimes, if the game ended too late, there would just be a recap, and the stats would be in Wednesday’s paper.  

Pickups (waivers) were due by like 10 PM on Wednesdays, I think.  By phone.  No texting, no cell phones, etc.  We had two land line phones in the house.... One in my parents room, and the other in the kitchen.  I remember waiting for the opportune moment where nobody was around, then quickly calling my buddy to tell him I was picking up the likes of Sammie Smith for Johnny Hector, and hanging up before anybody in the house had the chance to ask me what I was doing.  

Needless to say, waivers moves were minimal, given that there really wasn’t much for news.  No Rotoworld, no daily updates, etc.  Heck, if somebody was a last-minute DNP for some reason, there was a good chance we wouldn’t even know it until Monday or later.  

Sounds terrible, but those were the days.  Simple.  No drama about the commish overruling a trade, bad trades, etc.  There were trades, certainly.  And some were probably terribly lopsided.  But we didn’t know any better.  It was part of the game.  And the lack of news was also just part of it.  We didn’t know any different, so it was draft your team, make a move/trade or two during the season, set your lineups (by calling them in to the commish), and hope for the best.  

I still play with a few of those same guys from 8th grade, and we go on a golf trip every summer.  The same golf trip that, for years, used to include our annual draft (we now do it online).  Not many can say that they do something like that, after 30 years.  Pretty cool.  

• Like 2

Back in the early days as commissioner I'd be entering the stats from Sunday games into my computer while watching MNF. Probably entered those stats as they occurred, or maybe from the paper Tuesday morning. Then my co-commish and I would compare our numbers (think it was just our fantasy game scores, not each player individually) and correct any mistakes. Thank God it was just TDs, FGs and maybe some bonus for big yardage games. Then came Fantasy Football League Manager software (who later became MyFantasyLeague)

OMG the FFLM home page still exists  

58 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

I was commish for a decent amount of time for my local that we started around 91 or 92.  On our honeymoon (95), I was hunting for a USA Today to run scoring.  

USA Today did have the best box scores.  Boss would send me out every Monday morning to run across the street to the grocery store to grab one so he could calculate our league's scoring. 

• Like 1

I started somewhere in the early 90's as well, though I can't remember what year. I remember my brother asking me if I wanted to go to a friend's party one day and wondering why I hadn't heard about the party before that. So we get there and it looks nothing like any party I've ever been to. It looks like everyone is going to school with notebooks and magazines... "And why is Greg's mom here?" That was my introduction and they were more than happy to let me draft for a guy that didn't show (and hadn't paid his dues). My first year wasn't horrible, but only because I started doing my homework right away, but I was hooked right off the bat.

Every Monday morning I'd stop on the way to work and get a USA Today. Sometimes it'd take multiple stops just to find one. My first order of business every Monday was to calculate my scores and those of my opponent. I remember getting FFLM as well for the league and putting it on a floppy so I could update it at work since I didn't have a computer at home. Then finding this place and it was like gold.

To be honest, I think the internet and easy access to info is part of what is killing the game. When the info was limited, guys like us had to really work at it to get a leg up. Now all you have to do is pull up sites like this or Google a player's name and get all the latest info. It's made it too easy for everyone and old diehards like us who relished in the research just as much as winning no longer find that challenge that drew us in the first place. It sucked back then losing to your friend's mom who picked their players because they liked the team or your buddy who based his draft off last year's stats that he printed out before heading to the draft, it sucks even more knowing those same type people have teams just as good as yours now with no more effort.

Edited by rajncajn

9 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

I started somewhere in the early 90's as well, though I can't remember what year. I remember my brother asking me if I wanted to go to a friend's party one day and wondering why I hadn't heard about the party before that. So we get there and it looks nothing like any party I've ever been to. It looks like everyone is going to school with notebooks and magazines... "And why is Greg's mom here?" That was my introduction and they were more than happy to let me draft for a guy that didn't show (and hadn't paid his dues). My first year wasn't horrible, but only because I started doing my homework right away, but I was hooked right off the bat.

Every Monday morning I'd stop on the way to work and get a USA Today. Sometimes it'd take multiple stops just to find one. My first order of business every Monday was to calculate my scores and those of my opponent. I remember getting FFLM as well for the league and putting it on a floppy so I could update it at work since I didn't have a computer at home. Then finding this place and it was like gold.

To be honest, I think the internet and easy access to info is part of what is killing the game. When the info was limited, guys like us had to really work at it to get a leg up. Now all you have to do is pull up sites like this or Google a player's name and get all the latest info. It's made it too easy for everyone and old diehards like us who relished in the research just as much as winning no longer find that challenge that drew us in the first place. It sucked back then losing to your friend's mom who picked their players because they liked the team or your buddy who based his draft off last year's stats that he printed out before heading to the draft, it sucks even more knowing those same type people have teams just as good as yours now with no more effort.

Marques Colston was your finest hour here at The Huddle.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

The party was a total sausage fest except for Greg's mom :thinking: