Sign in to follow this  
Wolverines Fan

The NFL Hall of Fame class of 2020

Per NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001100210/article/polamalu-atwater-james-lead-2020-hall-of-fame-class

» Troy Polamalu, S -- 2003-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers

» Edgerrin James, RB -- 1999-2005 Indianapolis Colts, 2006-08 Arizona Cardinals, 2009 Seattle Seahawks

» Steve Atwater, S -- 1989-1998 Denver Broncos, 1999 New York Jets

» Isaac Bruce, WR -- 1994-2007 Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams, 2008-09 San Francisco 49ers

» Steve Hutchinson, G -- 2001-05 Seattle Seahawks, 2006-2011 Minnesota Vikings, 2012 Tennessee Titans

Wow...don't think Edge is hall worthy honestly. 

1 hour ago, Def. said:

Wow...don't think Edge is hall worthy honestly. 

He's a close call, but I am surprised he got in quite honestly. This might set a precedent of really good players with no rings getting in.

23 hours ago, Shaft said:

He's a close call, but I am surprised he got in quite honestly. This might set a precedent of really good players with no rings getting in.

Shouldn't need a ring to get in, and rings shouldn't give people such an edge. Otherwise its the hall of good players that played on title winning teams.

Joe Thomas (former Browns LT) is expected to get in, he never sniffed a playoff game. 

4 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Shouldn't need a ring to get in, and rings shouldn't give people such an edge. Otherwise its the hall of good players that played on title winning teams.

Joe Thomas (former Browns LT) is expected to get in, he never sniffed a playoff game. 

I agree that you shouldn't need a ring to get in, but if he had a ring WITH his stats I could understand his induction. When I think of great running backs, ring or no ring, James does not come to mind. 

9 minutes ago, Shaft said:

I agree that you shouldn't need a ring to get in, but if he had a ring WITH his stats I could understand his induction. When I think of great running backs, ring or no ring, James does not come to mind. 

I agree, to me James is not a Hall of Famer. You can't let all "good" players in. In my opinion you have to be extra special to even sniff the HOF. The bar is way too low. James was a very nice back, that's it. 

Per colts.com

https://www.colts.com/news/edgerrin-james-hall-of-fame-selection-jim-irsay-peyton-manning

Edge currently ranks 13th in NFL history in rushing yards (12,246), 20th in career rushing touchdowns (80), 12th in rushing yards per game (82.7), 16th in yards from scrimmage (15,610) and ninth in touches (3,461).

Agree that he was a very good every down back.

Hall of Famer? Not quite.

49 minutes ago, Wolverines Fan said:

Per colts.com

https://www.colts.com/news/edgerrin-james-hall-of-fame-selection-jim-irsay-peyton-manning

Edge currently ranks 13th in NFL history in rushing yards (12,246), 20th in career rushing touchdowns (80), 12th in rushing yards per game (82.7), 16th in yards from scrimmage (15,610) and ninth in touches (3,461).

My bad. If those are the stats I stand corrected. I didn't think they were that good. Those are definitely HOF numbers. 

2 hours ago, Wolverines Fan said:

Per colts.com

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

My bad. If those are the stats I stand corrected. I didn't think they were that good. Those are definitely HOF numbers. 

I'm not against it, just questioning the standard. There was this big debate over if Terrell Davis should be in and he had a much more decorated career than James.

If this is the standard then Tiki Barber should be in. You know what, add Warrick Dunn too. 

10 minutes ago, Shaft said:

I'm not against it, just questioning the standard. There was this big debate over if Terrell Davis should be in and he had a much more decorated career than James.

If this is the standard then Tiki Barber should be in. You know what, add Warrick Dunn too. 

Even I have to admit that those numbers are pretty impressive. Much better than I presumed. How do guys like Tiki Barber, Warrick Dunn and Fred Taylor stack up? The eyeball test says no but stats don't lie. 

I will often use the Pro Football Reference site to look at stats, and they have a "Similar players" section at the end of the page. When I see the majority of the guys on the "career" line are in the HOF I feel that player should also get in. (Maybe I've brought this up before.) 

Edgerrin James - HOF=Thurman Thomas, Dickerson, Emmitt, Barry, LT, OJ, likely HOF=AP, not HOF=Roger Craig, Ricky Watters, Ahman Green

Tiki Barber - HOF=Dickerson, Leroy Kelly, OJ, Edge, Thurman Thomas, likely HOF=AP, not HOF=Watters, Ahman Green, Roger Craig, Larry Brown

bolded the ones that are different 

When one guy's list includes 2 of the greatest every, maybe 3 if you count LT, it seems kind of simple. 

27 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I will often use the Pro Football Reference site to look at stats, and they have a "Similar players" section at the end of the page. When I see the majority of the guys on the "career" line are in the HOF I feel that player should also get in. (Maybe I've brought this up before.) 

Edgerrin James - HOF=Thurman Thomas, Dickerson, Emmitt, Barry, LT, OJ, likely HOF=AP, not HOF=Roger Craig, Ricky Watters, Ahman Green

Tiki Barber - HOF=Dickerson, Leroy Kelly, OJ, Edge, Thurman Thomas, likely HOF=AP, not HOF=Watters, Ahman Green, Roger Craig, Larry Brown

bolded the ones that are different 

When one guy's list includes 2 of the greatest every, maybe 3 if you count LT, it seems kind of simple. 

Wow, that "similar players" HOF list for Edge is complete crap.  You want me to argue it I will, but if anyone thinks Edge is similar to anybody on that list bolded above its hard to believe there will be much discussion. 

23 hours ago, Def. said:

Wow, that "similar players" HOF list for Edge is complete crap.  You want me to argue it I will, but if anyone thinks Edge is similar to anybody on that list bolded above its hard to believe there will be much discussion. 

No need to argue, it is an opinion, people are entitled to have different opinions. 

Is Tiki similar to the HOFers on his list?

Seems to me people don't think much of Edge, I suspect that is because Colts didn't win a SB with him, and he had Peyton as QB to make him look better.

On 2/4/2020 at 2:27 PM, Def. said:

I thought that to but wouldn't you say those are HOF numbers? They certainly look it to me. I don't think anyone is saying he's Jim Brown but he's definitely worth serious consideration, no? 

11 hours ago, stevegrab said:

No need to argue, it is an opinion, people are entitled to have different opinions. 

Is Tiki similar to the HOFers on his list?

Seems to me people don't think much of Edge, I suspect that is because Colts didn't win a SB with him, and he had Peyton as QB to make him look better.

I think most of it relies on eye test.  I am not sure he passes the eye test for most of us, but I didn't watch him that closely.  Statistically he is in the ballpark.  Although a 4.0 career avg for a guy who essentially stopped getting many carries around age 29 is not overly impressive. I looked at the HOF list and Curtis Martin is equal at 4.0, and the only guys lower were Riggins and Bettis at 3.9.  Bettis doesn't really count because he was used as a short distance hammer.  Riggins played longer than Edge as well and was getting 300+ carries age 34 and 35.  I think ultimately you can probably make an argument either way.  His yards from scrimmage in particular is up there.  

•  
Edited by purplemonster

12 hours ago, purplemonster said:

I think most of it relies on eye test.  I am not sure he passes the eye test for most of us, but I didn't watch him that closely.  Statistically he is in the ballpark.  Although a 4.0 career avg for a guy who essentially stopped getting many carries around age 29 is not overly impressive. I looked at the HOF list and Curtis Martin is equal at 4.0, and the only guys lower were Riggins and Bettis at 3.9.  Bettis doesn't really count because he was used as a short distance hammer.  Riggins played longer than Edge as well and was getting 300+ carries age 34 and 35.  I think ultimately you can probably make an argument either way.  His yards from scrimmage in particular is up there.  

•  

Holy crap I didn't realize Riggins was used that much so late in his career, I thought maybe the 300 was a typo and went to check his stats. He averaged about 200 per season, having some lower ones (180 or less) while putting up career numbers in mid 30s (375 & 327).