[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL Work Stoppage?

League_Champion

I applaud them for working out on this now. In the past, I always figured since lawyers were involved, they had no incentive to come to terms until the last minute.  I am no fan of an extra week and whatever that means for player health, safety and fantasy football implications. But it would be nice to get a new CBA and not potentially see any work stoppage.

I think its a bit early to start predicting a work stoppage, when the agreement runs thru the end of the coming season. They've been working on this for some time already, and the owners quickly approved a deal negotiated by both sides. Now the players are balking, namely a few very highly paid and prominent players. At least the NFLPA representatives did agree to let the members vote, instead of just panning the agreement based on a few prominent guys. Not sure how likely the prominent players will sway rank and file members to vote against it. It will depend what issues they are concerned with and if it applies to most/all players or only the top 5% of salaries. 

This has me wondering, are those in the NFLPA doing the negotiating disconnected from the player reps and rank and file members? Because it seemed like there was not much positive from any players about the deal being offered. The owners group who negotiated the new deal certainly was in tune with the owners' desires, as they quickly approved it. 

There is still no word on when the players will vote. The sooner the better, so if they don't approve it there is time to negotiate and consider offers during the off season. As we go thru March-April-May that needs to be done, further into summer and training camp takes over there may be no more serious work on a new deal.