[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The right way to do Social Distancing

Dcat

How not to practice social distancing.  See Florida beaches yesterday.  Packed.  As if the Mayor of Amity told everyone in Florida: 

"But as you see it's a beautiful day, the beaches are open, and people are having a wonderful time. 'Amity', as you know, means _friendship._ " From 'Jaws' [1975]

A friend of mine in So. Fla said that one of the local Kayak/boat/jetski rental places sent out emails this morning with a special discount code for this week "Use Code Covid19".  I kid you not.

safe_image.jpg

Just now, League_Champion said:

Life goes on 

yeah well when some of the spring breakers return home from the beaches to infect mommy, daddy, grandma and grandpa, they are risking that there will be a hospital bed ready for their older loved ones so that life can go on.  If not, then life won't go on for them.  See Italy.  For the most part, this 18-29 year old generation doesn't give a sh!t about anything except their own pleasures.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Dcat said:

yeah well when some of the spring breakers return home from the beaches to infect mommy, daddy, grandma and grandpa, they are risking that there will be a hospital bed ready for their older loved ones so that life can go on.  If not, then life won't go on for them.  See Italy.  For the most part, this 18-29 year old generation doesn't give a sh!t about anything except their own pleasures.  

This is the key point and why a lot of colleges shut down. Those kids would've brought all of their stuff back to the campus and infected everyone.

38 minutes ago, Dcat said:

yeah well when some of the spring breakers return home from the beaches to infect mommy, daddy, grandma and grandpa, 

That's the real fear here.  Covid 19, isnt even 25% through its Coyle yet in the usa.  Juat because it's big in some areas, and has no presence in the middle, doesnt mean it's not coming.   These fools are putting everyone in jeopardy.   Expects also expect a rebound effect in China,  once things are opened up again.  And they quarantined 3 months ago, we are 2 months behind them in this

45 minutes ago, Dcat said:

In all fairness they are spaced properly. Better than a supermarket. And we still need to work, right? 

8 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

In all fairness they are spaced properly. Better than a supermarket. And we still need to work, right? 

18-29 year olds do not space properly, maybe in that picture! I've worked my whole life with this population and the last thing they care about is "proper spacing." Check out a bar in a college town and you'll know what I'm talking about.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Shaft said:

18-29 year olds do not space properly, maybe in that picture! I've worked my whole life with this population and the last thing they care about is "proper spacing." Check out a bar in a college town and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Agree. But in all seriousness is any of this nonesense worth crashing the economy for? A little common sense would go along way right now. Isolate the high risk and protect the elderlies. For 90+ percent of the population this is a common cold. Hell, 20,000+ died in the US from the flu last year and nobody blinked an eye. 

3 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Agree. But in all seriousness is any of this nonesense worth crashing the economy for? A little common sense would go along way right now. Isolate the high risk and protect the elderlies. For 90+ percent of the population this is a common cold. Hell, 20,000+ died in the US from the flu last year and nobody blinked an eye. 

All of these debates are circulating and I have to deal with them daily. There's a fine line between the physical consequences and fear mongering. 

15 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

False. Patently false.  It is about as severe for some people (not necessarily the elderly) as the WORST of influenza with repeated high fevers and incredible amounts of fluid in the lungs for everyone.  It's that the elderly can't manage it.  My friend's 42 year old son (an ex-athlete in the best of shape) is in recovery and he said it was the worst sickness he has ever experienced.  Thought his heart would burst from the extreme, non-stop coughing for days on end.  Although there are SOME with relatively mild symptoms, don't interpret that as only the elderly are at risk.  Lots of people below 60 are hospitalized in ICU with ventilators, including 2 young ER doctors from a certain hospital..  

Edited by Dcat
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

False. Patently false.  It is about as severe for some people (not necessarily the elderly) as the WORST of influenza with repeated high fevers and incredible amounts of fluid in the lungs for everyone.  It's that the elderly can't manage it.  My friend's 42 year old son (an ex-athlete in the best of shape) is in recovery and he said it was the worst sickness he has ever experienced.  Thought his heart would burst from the extreme, non-stop coughing for days on end.  Although there are SOME with relatively mild symptoms, don't interpret that as only the elderly are at risk.  Lots of people below 60 are hospitalized in ICU with ventilators, including 2 young ER doctors from a certain hospital..  

Stop, don't be that guy. Those numbers are grossly inflated. Most who are infected will never even know it. Calm down, still live your life and use cautious common sense. 

11 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Stop, don't be that guy. Those numbers are grossly inflated. Most who are infected will never even know it. Calm down, still live your life and use cautious common sense. 

dude, what you posted was PATENTLY false. Just the kind of thing the kids are saying and it's wrong.  Right now in France, Chile, and elsewhere,there are many younger patients experinceing terrible symptoms and it is partially being attributed to the use of ibuprofen.   so much that WHO now recommends avoiding any ibuprofens to alleviate symptoms.  

I'm not a panic monger.  These are facts.  Your statement was wrong and misinformative.  Iam following this extensively and looking at only the best possible sources. 

Edited by Dcat
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

2010 H1N1 - 700,000 died

1918-1920 Spanish influenza  50,000,000 died

This is spreading to 2-3 times more people then the flu does, and kills 90 times more people then the flu.  Trump said 30,000- 78,000 die of the flu each year.  Flu kills 00.1%, Corona is at 9% of those infected 

The problem will be like Ebola, how do your actually eradicate this in smaller countries, that don't have the reporting that larger nations do, furthermore, what if a country isolates the virus, then uses it again as a weapon.  look at whats its done, underestimating it has caused many issues already.

1 minute ago, millworkguy said:

2010 H1N1 - 700,000 died

This is spreading to 2-3 times more people then the flu does, and kills 90 times more people then the flu.  Trump said 30,000- 78,000 die of the flu each year.  Flu kills 00.1%, Corona is at 9% of those infected 

The real fatality % is likely to be lower due to the fact that there are so many untested people who are infected.   But I think people are missing the point that the fatality rate is going to skyrocket beyond fathomable limits when the hospitals are overwhelmed.  Timing is everything.  It's all about flattening that curve because the hospitals can only do so much to get ready and we will not have the needed number of beds, ventilators, gowns, masks etc.  The possibility that many healthcare workers will be infected and unavailable as well.  Social Distancing is the ONLY current plan that offers hope of keeping that fatality number down.

Just now, Dcat said:

The real fatality % is likely to be lower due to the fact that there are so many untested people who are infected.   But I think people are missing the point that the fatality rate is going to skyrocket beyond fathomable limits when the hospitals are overwhelmed.  Timing is everything.  It's all about flattening that curve because the hospitals can only do so much to get ready and we will not have the needed number of beds, ventilators, gowns, masks etc.  The possibility that many healthcare workers will be infected and unavailable as well.  Social Distancing is the ONLY current plan that offers hope of keeping that fatality number down.

That's the worst part about this. The healthcare system is already overloaded but it is what it is. All you can do is protect yourself, your family and help your neighbors when possible. Make sure the elderly have everything they need and keep them home if possible. Until there's a cure or vaccine practice common sense and good hygiene. If you have the ability to work from home do so. For those who have to go out and grind everyday just try to limit your exposure to others the best you can. 

28 minutes ago, millworkguy said:

2010 H1N1 - 700,000 died

How do you know 9% die when practically nobody has been tested? Millions probably have it right now. I don't know anybody whos dropped dead.