[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rams Release Todd Gurley

League_Champion

32 minutes ago, DMD said:

What a black eye for the Rams who I think eat $25M in dead money. Why sign a RB for more than 2 years?

From what I can see on spotrac.com its a little over $20M dead cap hit, but they are saving over $10M by releasing him now. it was a horrible contract in many ways, for example his 2021 roster bonus (5.5M) became guaranteed tomorrow, as did his $5M 2020 salary. It was an impossible contract to trade, in order to get some cap relief I think they needed to wait until after 2021, and continue paying him more. Even if he were still himself that would be hard to stomach, at his suddenly diminished ability it was a no brainer. 

Gordon turned down what $10 million a year from the Chargers ?  Now he can't get that kind of money I am guessing. 

What is going to happen when guys like McCaffrey, Barkley and Chubb are ready for their extensions ?

Zeke got that same kind of deal Gurley got.  The problem is the players are sitting out and not playing if you don't cave to their demands.

Hard when a guy is in the prime of his career like Gurley was (he still is only 25) and killing the league to tell him to take a walk and not give him what he wants.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Henry Muto said:

Zeke got that same kind of deal Gurley got.  The problem is the players are sitting out and not playing if you don't cave to their demands.

Hard when a guy is in the prime of his career like Gurley was (he still is only 25) and killing the league to tell him to take a walk and not give him what he wants.

Exactly. This is a part of the bigger discussion we're having on the board in reference to contracts. No one saw Gurley's knees giving out on him, hindsight is 20/20.

From what I've gathered, the market for Gordon is not what he was thinking last year when he held out. He may end up on a one or two year deal.

5 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Todd Gurley was the NFL's 2nd-highest paid RB in average per year ($14.375 million). New leaderboard, excluding slotted rookie deals: 1. Ezekiel Elliott $15M 2. Le'Veon Bell $13.125M 3. David Johnson $13M 4. Austin Ekeler $6.125M 5. Duke Johnson $5.2M 6. Giovani Bernard $5.15M

That's not an encouraging list for RB's.  Very few worth it.  Ekeler clearly is right now.  I personally would say Zeke isnt although some might.  Gio Bernard no, Duke probably

Edited by purplemonster