League_Champion

Joe Burrow 'waiting to see before signing Bengals contract

I think it means that he wants his signing money when he signs and CIN isn't willing to commit to that

• Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 7:46 PM, LordOpie said:

I think it means that he wants his signing money when he signs and CIN isn't willing to commit to that

Are they allowed to withhold the money after he signs?

1 hour ago, michaelredd9 said:

Are they allowed to withhold the money after he signs?

Nope, that's all guaranteed 

There's no concern that any of the deals won't eventually get done, but as teams build their budgets with the potential for lost stadium and TV revenue in mind, it's possible some would want to hold on to signing bonus money a little bit longer than they would in a normal year. Burrow's signing bonus as the No. 1 overall pick will be close to $24 million -- a number high enough to impact any team's short-term cash flow

• Like 2

If I'm Burrows I want that money in my account ASAP. Especially with what's going on now. Let that money marinate. 

It might not be his choice

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

It might not be his choice

Then I'd say sign me or trade me. That's why you'll always be the Bengals. 

7 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Nope, that's all guaranteed 

No it's not.  It's pre-determined, i.e. the CBA dictates the amount, but not the structure.  Thank the dumbass Panthers for giving Cam Newton 100% of the money guaranteed on the first year of the new CBA for the trend, but it's not part of the CBA.

Does anybody have a source like NFL CBA or something else that explains the terms of when a team has to pay the signing bonus? I cannot find a source that shows that and everything I've read (even business and salary cap type stories) mention it being a signing bonus "paid when you sign the contract" or "paid upfront". I know the salary cap hit can be spread out, but the payment is guaranteed and if they had years to pay it, the player could be owed money when they are released while under contract.