[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DeAndre Hopkins says he's the NFL's best wide receiver

Just now, Bobby Brown said:

Godwin may be a stud for years to come, but it's not like he was in a bad situation last year.  Winston was tied for 1st in pass attempts.  TB had a below average D and running game. TB seemed to be in constant catch-up mode.  This is a desirable scenario for putting up stats.

Better QB's do not necessarily mean  better stats.  Marquise lee and Allen Hurns were fantasy relevant (not at Godwin's level last year) under Bortles for a season or two.  

You're right, Jameis does put up a ton of numbers. But I do think Godwin can be even better with a more accurate QB. I'm interested in seeing how he & Brady operate together. 

2 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

this was non-fantasy, correct?

Over 8 seasons AB averaged 103 rec, 1400 yds, 10 tds per season.

his last season was 104, 1300, 15

these came with decent skill positions around him:

mike Wallace, Heath Miller, Emmanuel sanders, placid burress, leveon bell, Martavis Bryant,Eli Rodgers, juju, Vance McDonald, Jesse James, James Conner 

a year where they had few options he posted 136 rec, 1800, 10.  

year before 129, 1700, 13

If your argument is that he's the best WR of the past decade, I'm right there with you.  But, I think the topic is CURRENT best WR.  Hard to argue that a guy who is a year removed from playing competitive football, not to mention has apparently completely lost his mind/is a complete headcase, still holds that status, regardless of what he did before.  I suppose anybody could argue that he has a spot in the top 10, top 5, or whatever.  But, as long as he's away (and not likely to play any time soon, given all of the factors involved), I almost think a better designation for him in this conversation is simply "not applicable."  

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1

Another way of looking at it... the designation of "NFL's best WR" implies that the player is going to play again (active/current).  I give him a less than 50% chance of ever taking another NFL snap, personally.  In fact, I'd say it's far more likely that he spends significant time behind bars than plays in the NFL again.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gopher said:

If your argument is that he's the best WR of the past decade, I'm right there with you.  But, I think the topic is CURRENT best WR.  Hard to argue that a guy who is a year removed from playing competitive football, not to mention has apparently completely lost his mind/is a complete headcase, still holds that status, regardless of what he did before.  I suppose anybody could argue that he has a spot in the top 10, top 5, or whatever.  But, as long as he's away (and not likely to play any time soon, given all of the factors involved), I almost think a better designation for him in this conversation is simply "not applicable."  

Again...remove his psychotic break, and I think he is in the conversation.  2018 he had a strong year sharing receptions with juju, conner, and mcdonald. His lone game last year with limited time with his qb he had 4/56/1td.  He wasn't done, he was koo koo for cocoa puffs.  

Just now, Bier Meister said:

Again...remove his psychotic break, and I think he is in the conversation.  2018 he had a strong year sharing receptions with juju, conner, and mcdonald. His lone game last year with limited time with his qb he had 4/56/1td.  He wasn't done, he was koo koo for cocoa puffs.  

Sure, if he hadn't lost his mind, he'd probably still be #1.  That's a big IF, though.  It wasn't just one event.  He destroyed his relationship with PIT, refused to play in OAK, and has since had numerous situations pop up that involve criminal charges.  

Luke Keuchly might still be one of the best LB's in the league.  But, if somebody asks me to make a list of my top 5 currently, I'm not putting him on it.  :shrug:

6 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Sure, if he hadn't lost his mind, he'd probably still be #1.  That's a big IF, though.  It wasn't just one event.  He destroyed his relationship with PIT, refused to play in OAK, and has since had numerous situations pop up that involve criminal charges.  

This is all I was talking about.  If we are discussing wr talent, he is right there...even at 31/32 yrs old

On 5/31/2020 at 12:48 PM, Bobby Brown said:

If anyone can overcome the first year adjustment period with a new QB, he's probably one of the few (although I thought the same thing about OBJ, who basically had career lows last year).  But, I probably pass as early picks are a good time to minimize risk. 

OBJ was never 100% last year, but he won't produce gawdy stats with the Browns, Landry is very good and they have a good running game. 

On 6/4/2020 at 6:04 PM, stevegrab said:

OBJ was never 100% last year, but he won't produce gawdy stats with the Browns, Landry is very good and they have a good running game. 

As a Browns fan do you think they'll try to trade Odell? I thought they should have done something prior to the draft. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, purplemonster said:

Evans and Allen are too high for me and Godwin too low.  Tyreek maybe a little high too.  I am a big believer in Godwin though.  This year will be revealing 

Agree, some of these lists are head scratching. I'm a huge Godwin Fan, if there's enough balls to go around in TB he'll have a huge year. 

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

Agree, some of these lists are head scratching. I'm a huge Godwin Fan, if there's enough balls to go around in TB he'll have a huge year. 

I would imagine so. Evans and Godwin are the primary guys and their RBs are pretty trash. Gronkowski sucking up some TDs.  For Godwin playing the slot with an accurate passer like Brady who loves the short passing game I think he's going to be having a really good season. 

Trash may be strong for the running backs but they're very mediocre  and not much threat to receptions

Edited by purplemonster