[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Quarantines and Handcuffs

CowboysDiehard

Heard a bit from Bruce Arians today on Sirius.  He's considering keeping a third QB separate from the rest of the team in case the other two QBs test positive for COVID and have to sit out for a couple of weeks.  Of course, viewing this through the lenses of a fantasy owner, this made me think about handcuffing key positions on rosters.  

On a larger scale, this could be a real problem for an NFL team if several players test positive and have to miss a couple of weeks.  A few years ago, the new concussion protocols started costing players time unexpectedly.  This year could be a similar animal.  Players may have to sit unexpectedly if they test positive, and large numbers could be affected.

Until now, I haven't been a big proponent of IR in fantasy leagues.  This situation, however, may change my opinion.  Question to huddlers here....have you thought about this for your leagues and if so made any plans to account for COVID?

Edited by CowboysDiehard
  • Thanks 3

This season could be really, really wild if pockets of players get the 'Rona and some teams get decimated but others do not. I would be much more likely to draft backups this season than any other. We'll see what happens, but it's going to be a crazy season if teams start losing random players to the virus in any appreciable numbers. 

And it is not like you can try to avoid it. It isn't like skipping all known knuckleheads will help. Anyone could get it, anyone could infect a teammate.

I haven't seen any NFL guidelines yet, but I am sure they will have rules about testing and keeping infected players away,

8 hours ago, CowboysDiehard said:

Until now, I haven't been a big proponent of IR in fantasy leagues.  This situation, however, may change my opinion.  Question to huddlers here....have you thought about this for your leagues and if so made any plans to account for COVID?

We started talking about this yesterday. Some FFL sites (e.g. CBS) will only let you put players into the IR slot that are actually on IR, so check your platform to make sure it'll do what you want it to do.

As DMD suggests, we may need way more than 1 IR spot. The silver lining: these guys are young and generally healthy and there's a chance, like what's happening right now with the Texans, that COVID could burn through a team before the regular season starts. To be clear, I don't want that to happen for anyone's health but.....fantasy-wise it means they're all fine come week 1.

My main league is thinking about >1 IR spot. It's totally possible you could have 2, 3, or more players out for 1-2 weeks and the season will be no fun if you have to keep dropping good bench talent just to field a complete roster. Not sure how this would work exactly but we're thinking it through. Would be interested in any strokes of genius.

7 hours ago, DMD said:

And it is not like you can try to avoid it. It isn't like skipping all known knuckleheads will help. Anyone could get it, anyone could infect a teammate.

While I was kicking this around with some friends the other day. I was making a mental list of idiot players to avoid drafting and thought wait a minute, that isn't going to help. Like you said anyone can get it.

• Haha 1

I haven't paid MFL yet, still not sold their will be a season, not sure how they can have one with this many infected,  or if even 1 team has infected players.   Are they going to move to flag football and no contact? Let them all wheel those giant sumo wrestling suits, and start 6 on the field. 

Waiting and watching the college teams try and work out what they will be doing.  

Honestly it feels like we fell asleep at the finish line and let covid overcome us again. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LordOpie said:

Time to admit that corona isn't anywhere as deadly as first feared. 

NFL players should be more concerned about serious injury on field than getting seriously ill. Time to treat it like any other respiratory illness.

* This isn't true for any player who has immune compromised family members and they need to make a personal decision in that regard.I

Risk of covid from flying to the game is much higher than the locker room or playing.

It's time to get back to normal.

Still killing a 1000 a day in the states, (10 times that of cars, and just less then tobacco,  but typically tobacco takes decades,  not months ) .  Btw, this maybe the new normal till a cure is found.  I love Trump saying there is nothing to worry about,  but if you get Corona at my rallies I'm not responsible. 

Look at Florida and Texas, 2 of the 1st states to open up.  They are flying up the charts of infectious persons (and dead). Texas has nowhere near the density of New York,  new Jersey,  Illinois, but is 6th in cases.

Hopefully such a cavalier attitude to this virus doesn't kill one of my relatives or friends, I really don't care what consenting adults do,  as long as my family is safe from others stupidity. 

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, LordOpie said:

Time to admit that corona isn't anywhere as deadly as first feared. 

NFL players should be more concerned about serious injury on field than getting seriously ill. Time to treat it like any other respiratory illness.

* This isn't true for any player who has immune compromised family members and they need to make a personal decision in that regard.I

Risk of covid from flying to the game is much higher than the locker room or playing.

It's time to get back to normal.

This is pure garbage. Stick to facts or don't post.

It's still at least 10x as deadly as the flu. Have you been paying attention to the news - this is nothing like "any other respiratory illness." There is zero data to support that flying is more risky than close personal contact.

When someone you care about catches this, come back and tell me how you feel.

• Thanks 4

On 6/12/2020 at 4:32 PM, DMD said:

You got that right.  Just saw that Zeke had it....oh wait....

The other thing that we should think about it what do you do with the season if it gets cut short? Meaning the season starts but then gets shut down for a massive COVID spike. 

Do you roll the money over to next year or do partial payouts assuming some minimum # of games gets played?

Would be good to have contingency planning that hopefully that never gets used.  

8 hours ago, millworkguy said:

I'd roll it forward to next season.  I believe MFL is free if they play less then 7 games, so I'd likely not charge any fees for year 2021 (maybe MFL charges only) and play out the (21) year for what's left of 2020 dues. 

They probably can't afford to do that  unless they keep all the MFL10 money 

1 hour ago, Zooty said:

They probably can't afford to do that  unless they keep all the MFL10 money 

FROM MFL

- you purchase your MFL league and the NFL cancels the 2020 season completely, then your league payment will be automatically carried over to the 2021 season.

-If the NFL plays at least 7 weeks of the season (whether it is a continuous 7 weeks or broken up into several periods), then we will consider it to be a full season, and your MFL purchase will be considered as payment for the 2020 fantasy season as usual.

-If the NFL plays at least 1 week, but less than 7 weeks, then we will consider it to be a partial season, and your league payment will be carried over to the 2021 season.

Edited by millworkguy

While we are experiencing a second, anticipated bump, the mortality rate will likely decline.  But it is still in the 1-2% range of symptomatic individuals.  The problem we have is we're testing asymptomatics.  We have no comparable data for that -- we don't test asymptomatics for the flu.  So we don't know what an asymptomatic positive means.  In reality, they are probably having mild unrecognized sx such as fatigue, muscle aches, reduced stamina but don't appreciate it.

The virus will likely follow the path of prior coronaviruses and fade out over the course of the year.  The best way to control it is to test everybody and quarantine the positives until it dies out.  The real issue is that it's a CDC reportable disease. So, if you test positive you have to quarantine.  The fix for that in people with little to no symptoms is don't test.  For business owners, and other true essentials (who need to work to keep their business afloat) it's in their best interest to avoid that swab.  This goes for athletes as well.  From a social moral standpoint they should test.  But from a business standpoint, it's not in their best interest.  My guess is they'll avoid testing unless someone has severe sx and if they do test, they'll try to keep it quiet and claim injury.

To go back to the OP, in our dynasty league I'm not adding additional IR spots.  I don't expect to lose many players, if any, to the virus.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, 1fastdoc said:

While we are experiencing a second, anticipated bump,

When did the 1st wave end?  I dont recall seeing the numbers below 20,000 new cases a day since the beginning of March. All that it looks like is its moved from high density area to the lower density parts of the US, and to those area who opened up early

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, millworkguy said:

When did the 1st wave end?  I dont recall seeing the numbers below 20,000 new cases a day since the beginning of March. All that it looks like is its moved from high density area to the lower density parts of the US, and to those area opened up early

Overall if graphed it will behave like a smooth wave. But regionally it will have two or three bumps.  Most metro areas were declining, hence opening up businesses.  Now they're seeing an uptick in cases. 

31 minutes ago, millworkguy said:

And just because your asymptomatic,  doesn't mean you passing it on to someone else will lead them to be asymptomatic as well.  You could very well cause the death of your parents or partner.

Correct.  Social responsibility dictates we all get tested.  But think about the impact on a society if the asymptomatic rate truly is 80% (which none of us believe) and you take 80% of your health care workers out of their clinics, hospitals, OR's for 2 weeks.  Despite frequent exposure, how many MD's and RN's do you think are getting tested?  Food for thought, every one I know that has tested in the last 3 months has been negative.  Those health care workers that did get the virus, confirmed by testing, (all in March) were severely symptomatic and hospitalized.

Edited by 1fastdoc

2 hours ago, 1fastdoc said:

But regionally it will have two or three bumps.  Most metro areas were declining, hence opening up businesses 

Yes it will, I just disagree that it was declining in most metro area's.   I think a few large cities were declining,  and the rest just really hadnt seen it yet. If there was a dip in #'s it could also be that the state was looking at the wrong people.  Also as you wrote, people may not have wanted to be tested (and lose a paycheck).  The better # is hospitalized,  if your sick enough (with health care) you will go. 

Some (business) didnt have the patience to let science do its thing and get us through this.  In feb we were told the "15 cases will be 0  soon" we saw slow movement to some of the less populous area's,  and by the time we actually saw this thing actually spread things were already open in some area's (as they assumed they had already seen it go) 

Not sure I've seen anyone (in the scientific community) Express that we are in the 2nd wave, in fact Fauci recently spoke about being able to avoid a 2nd wave if we can be smart about things.

As our understanding of the virus expands it doesnt surprise me that fewer health care workers are getting in.  But in my urban area healthcare infections are about 25% of all cases.  

My wife is at the hospital that has 22% of our states hospitalized cases, and is responsible for almost 8% of all testing.  They have had 3 outbreaks,  they have a testing center open 12 hours a day, just for staff.  Anyone who spent 15 min or more on a floor that had an outbreak, or staff member who wakes up with a headache or cold, or any social worker (who maybe required to be in a full suit holding an iPad so family can say goodbye) can be tested.

And 80% of all health care staff wouldn't be out of the hospital,  (just those who test positive,  you assumed everyone was asymptomatic)

Edited by millworkguy

On 6/17/2020 at 12:06 PM, 1fastdoc said:

To go back to the OP, in our dynasty league I'm not adding additional IR spots.  I don't expect to lose many players, if any, to the virus.

Yeah we just voted the other way in my main redraft league - unlimited COVID IR spots. Who knows if it's the right call. 

On 6/17/2020 at 2:05 PM, millworkguy said:

Yes it will, I just disagree that it was declining in most metro area's.   I think a few large cities were declining,  and the rest just really hadnt seen it yet. If there was a dip in #'s it could also be that the state was looking at the wrong people...

Not sure I've seen anyone (in the scientific community) Express that we are in the 2nd wave, in fact Fauci recently spoke about being able to avoid a 2nd wave if we can be smart about things.

And 80% of all health care staff wouldn't be out of the hospital,  (just those who test positive,  you assumed everyone was asymptomatic)

Picking Seattle, they saw a decline in the number of new cases/day in mid April and then had a consistent increase to over 300 cases/day in the fourth week of May, which increased further to over 400 cases/day one week ago.  Seattle is riding an exponential second wave as we speak.

In included the last paragraph because I wasn't sure if you  were suggesting that I assumed people were asymptomatic.  I, along with my Infectious Disease colleagues don't put much credence into the notion of an asymptomatic infection.

54 minutes ago, 1fastdoc said:

In included the last paragraph because I wasn't sure if you  were suggesting that I assumed people were asymptomatic.  I, along with my Infectious Disease colleagues don't put much credence into the notion of an asymptomatic infection.

No, you argued that the asymptomatic rate of 80% would result in all medical professionals out of their workplace for 14 days, I disagreed as 100% of all medical staff haven't caught this. So an 80% asymptomatic rate wouldn't equal 80% of the workforce. 

So your argument is that Seattle is seeing its second wave, and not a dip in numbers from lower testing, (as you, a doctor previously recommended mild symptoms not ger tested) or from testing the wrong groups of people/ or those who had milder cases just stayed home and never got tested.  while Texas is still seeing its 1st wave (I wasnt thinking on such a micro level) 

Honestly,  122,000 dead, and a doctor recommends not being tested,  unless your really in bad shape.  Go run your small business,  go infect your staff, co-workers,  their parents,  dont you have an oath to save people?

I thought you where an otolaryngologist and not an infectious disease doctor. Most of the southern states numbers seem to be rising with their dis belief of this.  

Edited by millworkguy

My best guess is we're still in the first wave everywhere. My second definitely-not-a-guess is that testing should be free, plentiful and encouraged for anyone at almost any time. 

That is, if we're actually interested in containing this thing. I had high hopes for an NFL season and now it looks like we're going to crap the bed. Most of the country is on fire right now and around 6 weeks from now it'll cause an uptick in cases in places that are currently calming down, like the northeast. I don't see how anyone opens a training camp on time. I hope I'm wrong.