[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Washington Redskins name change: 'Warriors' leading contender

League_Champion

1 minute ago, Big John said:

Still controversial.  The NBA has Golden State Warriors.  But Marquette University changed their team name from the Warriors.

Depending on the logo, it really doesn't signify 1 group or another.   While other sport franchises may have a problem with the name, hard for any one group to say they are the warriors depicted by the name and as such offended by it.

15 minutes ago, Big John said:

Still controversial.  The NBA has Golden State Warriors.  But Marquette University changed their team name from the Warriors.

I just looked up some Marquette logos because I couldn't  remember.  Looks like some of the older stuff was very possible offensive.  The newest did not seem to be.  Glad my daughter chose Loyola over Marquette.....got to see a Final Four run!!!   

• Like 1

Sounds like they'll end up there, but too bad they couldn't pick a name that wasn't already used in the NBA. Why not pick the Yankees or Crimson Tide for that matter?

4 hours ago, Finn5033 said:

Putting anything offensive or not aside, I don’t get it. Changing the name is a big deal, choose something unique. Why would you want to retread something like warriors?

I agree.  Seems like a generic name that's already been used.  Red Tails seems good, I don't know the history on that much.  I did like The Swamp.  D.C. Comics, Washington Warrens after brave Native American leader Elizabeth Warren (not a political statement by me fyi). 

Hail to the Redskins will never carry the same steam .

this wasn’t as much the power of protest as it was an absolute sabotage by the sponsors. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, whomper said:

Hail to the Redskins will never carry the same steam .

this wasn’t as much the power of protest as it was an absolute sabotage by the sponsors. 

Well, the sponsors used their leverage because the protests pushed them to do so. It's all related I think. 

15 minutes ago, stethant said:

Well, the sponsors used their leverage because the protests pushed them to do so. It's all related I think. 

The skins fell victim to cancel culture. The same people that defaced an actual Frederick Douglass statue were part of the skins getting cancelled . It’s a slippery slope to me but what do I know 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SNOWBOUND33 said:

I heard Fanduel was taking odds on Washington's new name but I can't find anything on their site.  Anyone have some info?

Couldn't find anything on Fanduel, but the current odds are on Redtails, which I kinda like.

Redtails (+200) 
Presidents (+300)

Memorials (+500)

Veterans (+800)

Monuments (+1000)

RedHawks (+1200)

Hogs (+5000)

Red Wolves (No Odds)

Warriors (No Odds)

Sentinels (No Odds)

18 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Couldn't find anything on Fanduel, but the current odds are on Redtails, which I kinda like.

Redtails (+200) 
Presidents (+300)

Memorials (+500)

Veterans (+800)

Monuments (+1000)

RedHawks (+1200)

Hogs (+5000)

Red Wolves (No Odds)

Warriors (No Odds)

Sentinels (No Odds)

I thought RedTails made most sense but I'd be there are no odds on Warriors for a reason.  I think that might be the leader at this point, followed by RedTails.

6 minutes ago, darin3 said:

I thought RedTails made most sense but I'd be there are no odds on Warriors for a reason.  I think that might be the leader at this point, followed by RedTails.

Warriors has such a Pop Warner sound to it for me, My favorites in order are:

Redtails

Sentinels

Red Wolves

Monuments

Veterans

Warriors

RedHawks

Presidents

Memorials

Hogs

On 7/13/2020 at 6:44 PM, rajncajn said:

Warriors has such a Pop Warner sound to it for me, My favorites in order are:

Redtails

Sentinels

Red Wolves

Monuments

Veterans

Warriors

RedHawks

Presidents

Memorials

Hogs

Agree I don't like Warriors for the name - for me it's too vanilla. 

Redtails is the best but Sentinels ain't bad either. RedHawks is reasonable but does that have anything to do with the DC area or is it just an East Coast foil for the Seahawks?