[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Nfl to allow players to opt out

millworkguy

3 hours ago, Riffraff said:

Should edit that large font to say:

Doctor Laurent Duvernay-Tardif is opting out of the NFL season as the Chiefs RG so he can continue working with patients.

He's a little different too because he has a well paying career waiting in the wings for him.  He can afford to let 2.5 million expire.  Most of these guys have one chance to make the $$. I am not saying he doesn't have other principles in mind but that's what jumps out to me. 

17 hours ago, Riffraff said:

Should edit that large font to say:

Doctor Laurent Duvernay-Tardif is opting out of the NFL season as the Chiefs RG so he can continue working with patients.

And just to clarify, he graduated medical school, but still needs to do a residency.  He was working as an orderly in the hospital.  He somehow accomplished 4 years of medical school while playing NFL football, I assume by doing classes and rotations in the offseason and I think Reid gave him some accommodations, and Reid's mother was a physician as well so Reid encouraged it.  Regardless, LDT has to finish his 2-7 year residency still, whatever he chooses to do it in, but that's not possible playing NFL football, given there are up to 80 hr weeks.  I think LDT has a contract for 20 million guaranteed so 2.5 taken off is no big deal.  Also, he knows about CTE on not just a superficial level but a pathological one and may already have doubts about how long he wants to play given he's 29 and taken a lot of hits.  

List is up to 6 guys already.  I wonder if what happened in baseball has turned some guys heads on this.  This is going to be a long week for us dynasty/redrafted already team owners to see if any guys we have opt out.  Of course we could be worried for nothing if there is no season.

So far no big names have opted out of note for fantasy purposes.

Wonder if they figured out how 14 Marlins were infected. Canceling a game is a nightmare scenario. However the MLB goes, so will the NFL since there are even more players and staff on a football team. No matter what, this is going to be a very memorable year.

3 minutes ago, DMD said:

Wonder if they figured out how 14 Marlins were infected. Canceling a game is a nightmare scenario. However the MLB goes, so will the NFL since there are even more players and staff on a football team. No matter what, this is going to be a very memorable year.

14+ Marlins Player, The Marlins - Orioles and the Phillies - Yankees series have been cancelled. MLB is on the verge of a possible season ending shutdown by players who don't want to play. This will certainly effect and trickle down to other sports as well. This is not good for the big 4. 

1 hour ago, DMD said:

I don't think MLB is in a bubble.   It went the opposite direction of the NBA and NHL

I'm also shocked that MLB allowed the Sunday Marlins game to be played after 4 tests came.vack positive.   My wife's hospital considers 2 cases (acquired within the Hospital) be an outbreak. Yet 4 cases on the same team, didn't cause them to postpone anything. 

On 7/25/2020 at 12:31 PM, Henry Muto said:

I am sure many of you are in the same boat as me especially having a lot of dynasty teams and also those who have done some redraft (I have done 26 high stakes redraft already).

This will be a nerve racking next 10 or so days until the opt out time period ends.

You should know by now that nobody is like you, I doubt anybody else here already had 20+ drafts, let alone all high stakes leagues. Sucks to be in your position.

I'm glad we have our draft as late as possible and already approached my co-commish to start thinking about if we want to make any changes, and he's of the "everything will go as planned" mindset. 

On 7/27/2020 at 7:39 PM, DMD said:

NFL has an additional issue that MLB does not, many days without games, many nights to head out to bars and clubs, or indoor dining, or large family gatherings. From what I heard NFL players are strictly forbidden from those activities and there will be fines if they are caught doing it. I'd hope players can convince each other how important this is, how one player getting the virus could screw things up for the whole team, or even the league as a whole. But far too many are young and foolish, and probably also a group in the "virus is a hoax" camp. 

I heard the Marlins players got it when a bunch of them went out to party in Atlanta when there about a week ago for their exhibition games. Teams that are in or visit hot spots really need to be careful. Also from what I've heard MLB did not allow the Marlins with players testing positive to play the Phillies that night, the Marlins took a vote and decided to play. Sounds like neither the Phillies nor MLB HQ was notified, and the geniuses running the Marlins are responsible for much of the mess, along with MLB. These teams need a league official in charge of testing, not the team itself and their doctors that will lie, similar to the use of the independent neurologist for concussions. 

On 7/30/2020 at 8:48 AM, Shaft said:

All of the QBs need to opt out with all the licking of their fingers/hands before the play. That ball has been EVERYWHERE!!!

I saw an NBA player do that last night as he was dribbling.  EWWWW!!

Think of linemen standing across from each other all game, breathing in and out, grabbing on and doing the shoving match stuff. May as well be slow dancing with the guy.