[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2020 season (or no season) - general talk

darin3

Hey guys.  Just wanted to start a general discussion about the 2020 season (or lack thereof).  

My initial thoughts... if there is no season, we shouldn't deduct a year from current contracts.  Basically the year will be a wash and we will start in 2021 with current contracts intact.  

Also, there could potentially be a supplemental draft if there is no college season.  I don't know what to think here.  I think there could be many conferences that hold their football seasons in spring 2021, in which case we could have a normal "rookie/devy" draft.  Either way, though, how are we going to determine draft order?  I don't think it'd be fair to have it in the same order as the draft we just wrapped up.  Doing it in the reverse order also isn't fair, IMO.   I think it may be a situation where we just do a dice roll and let fate determine the order.  Any other thoughts on supplemental or rookie draft assuming there is no 2020 NFL season to base draft order on?

Any other thoughts?

We could always have designation on the contract years like 10 players you pick can add an extra year. For draft i think random order and as a snake draft to even it up. Also everyteam but one has there 1st and everyone but one has there 2nd, not the same team, so i think a random order is pretty much the way to go

Edited by terminader55

19 minutes ago, terminader55 said:

We could always have designation on the contract years like 10 players you pick can add an extra year. For draft i think random order and as a snake draft to even it up. Also everyteam but one has there 1st and everyone but one has there 2nd, not the same team, so i think a random order is pretty much the way to go

Thanks for chiming in.  I gotta disagree with the adding a year to 10 players.  We have to consider a wash season a wash totally and not penalize anyone.

I didn't even check to see who has what in terms of draft picks... thanks for calling that out.  I think a random order would be the way to go.  Maybe we suspend trading of draft picks until we know what's up?

• darin3 pinned this topic
1 hour ago, darin3 said:

My initial thoughts... if there is no season, we shouldn't deduct a year from current contracts.  Basically the year will be a wash and we will start in 2021 with current contracts intact.  

My opinion on this is that the owner should have the option to decrement individual contracts or not.

At work right now so I'll think on this a bit and weigh in later.

1 hour ago, Tford said:

My opinion on this is that the owner should have the option to decrement individual contracts or not.

At work right now so I'll think on this a bit and weigh in later.

I could be on board with something like that.  I'm all about "owner's rights" so leaving it up to the individual owner could certainly be doable.

9 minutes ago, terminader55 said:

Another issue will be what to do for the players on teams that opt out for the season. I saw Hightower just opted out. Obviously put them on IR and would we do compensation like $5 to spend on a free agent or something per player

Yeah if there IS a season, and we're talking about players opting out, I would be open to offering compensation.  I think this could be done on a "sliding scale", like if the player was in the top-15 at his position in 2019, then you get $5.  If he was 16-40, you get $4, 41-75 you get $3.... something like that.

Good evening all.  Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe.  My thoughts on this are as follow:  I think a dice roll would be good and fair to all. I think that would allow everyone an equal chance at getting a high draft pick and opportunity to select a highly talented college player that is available.  I feel that would allow everyone to view college players that may opt out of the upcoming college football season if they have one.  On the topic of current contracts, I would be cool making 2020 a wash of a year.  What would everyone's opinion of allowing us to cut players that have existing contracts and not counting towards this year or next year?  Players that opt out of this year should be able to be placed on IR and not count towards this year.  Maybe we could expand the taxi squads in numbers because players may opt out.  Just my thoughts. 

Also we need to think worst case scenario is if season gets cancelled half way through like week 10 or something. Would we just call it a wash at that point and I guess air on the side of caution of making trades to win this year bc i don't think we would start reversing trades like if someone gave up a first for a veteran and then season gets cancelled

I am of the opinion that however the NFL handles it, that's how we should. If they scuttle the season and add a year to everyone's contract, fine by me. If they scuttle the year and take a year off everyone's contract fine by me. But I don't want to do the opposite of what the NFL does. Reason: that's is usually the best course of action and cuts across all teams fairly. I recall after 9-11 a lot of debate what leagues should do in the wake of the cancellations. The leagues that followed what the NFL did had no issues. :)   My .02

• 2 weeks later...

I believe it'll be easy because there's no way they are playing football in this environment.  Toll all contracts (owner option to have it reduce if they have an oldass guy or something) and make 2021 draft order the same as 2020.  This is how I'll be going about all the leagues I commish.

It does get ugly if they actually play, but it'll be something like:

Under 7 games = no season, all money rolls over to 2021, no dues

If season ends early = no championship, pay out any incidentals like division champs or high score payouts, pay the playoff teams however far they got (unlikely), and roll the rest over.  All contracts get reduced that didn't opt out (if their NFL contract ticks, so does the Fantasy contract).

If the season starts late we'll have more info but likely just do a shorter regular season and have playoffs same weeks and if they do pull it off we're golden and have normal payouts and result.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure we are really at on this issue but Dave laid out a pretty good plan in one of his other leagues that I think many are adopting (that are aware of it).  He has highlighted above but may be worthwhile reposting here Dave for league to consider before we get going.

As to Covid related opt outs (or mid year Covid infections)….my opinion is they go to IR and its treated like an injury.  We could vote now on each team being able to select a player(s) to roll the contract over into next year preserving the potential lost year (i.e. Rogers has $3, goes out mid season with Covid and doesn't return, 2 other players opt out)….at end of year manager can select which of those 3 players to bring back next year on same contact (i.e. Rogers comes back with $3 year contact).

Just a thought.

On 8/26/2020 at 2:34 PM, flemingd said:

I down for all that was laid out in the plan. The only nitpicking would be draft order if season ends before week 13 as champion would not be crowned if I read it correctly and no teams would be earning playoff money, I think draft order should be random and in snake order as to not punish a team with a great year and boom all of a sudden you aren't winning any money and now have a last pick draft or to still reward a bad team from the year before and gives them two years in a row with top draft pick. But other then that i think everything laid out is great and it's not like I would fight tooth and nail for this just my quick two cents

20 hours ago, terminader55 said:

I down for all that was laid out in the plan. The only nitpicking would be draft order if season ends before week 13 as champion would not be crowned if I read it correctly and no teams would be earning playoff money, I think draft order should be random and in snake order as to not punish a team with a great year and boom all of a sudden you aren't winning any money and now have a last pick draft or to still reward a bad team from the year before and gives them two years in a row with top draft pick. But other then that i think everything laid out is great and it's not like I would fight tooth and nail for this just my quick two cents

It would really suck to have the season go 10 games and have the 9-1 owner win the random draft order.  Early draft position isn't about rewarding the team that sucks, it's intended to be about getting the most help to the team that needs the most help.  I think by week 8 we're going to have a good idea who the "good" and "bad" teams are.  And in a devy league that's heavily depleted of the top talent draft order is even less important.

I guess my point was it would also suck if a team was 8-1 but season ended and you don't win any money but now you are stuck with a high draft pick with no money reward to show for it. But either way i think they will have a full season but still always good to hash out the worst case scenarios just in case lol

On 8/29/2020 at 12:47 PM, terminader55 said:

I guess my point was it would also suck if a team was 8-1 but season ended and you don't win any money but now you are stuck with a high draft pick with no money reward to show for it. But either way i think they will have a full season but still always good to hash out the worst case scenarios just in case lol

You can do that with an early playoff dud.  You can't go 1-8 but win a bunch of money to offset your bad draft luck.

Again, the draft is (supposed to be) about giving the "worst" team the best opportunity to get better.  You don't award the earlier picks to the top teams.

On 8/26/2020 at 12:34 PM, flemingd said:

On 9/2/2020 at 5:35 AM, flemingd said:

What is the plan commish?  Any contingencies?  Any adjustments for cuts/COVID/IR anything?

Sorry for spacing out on this.  I am good with what you set out above.

I will send a league-wide emails so we're all on the same page.

Again, apologies for letting this hang out there to dry.

On 9/6/2020 at 12:49 AM, RodneyRules said:

So stimulus dollars here? Nice.  

Do you want to start a Covid Exemption post in forum to keep track of running list?

Opt outs are (H) on MFL.  COVID-IR are (C).  Not sure we need to manually track them?

• darin3 unpinned this topic