[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

CoVid Opt Out / IR / Practice Squad rules?

fuz

So - we knew this year might be a little different than any other year.  With Damien Williams (among others) opting out for the year, we need to decide (all 12 owners) what we should do with opting out of the season (for CoVid or any other reason).

We've also talked about reworking IR a bit (to be more current with NFL rules).

I've also heard about interest in creating additional practice squad slots in the past.

I'm not sure if any of these are related, but there may be - so I'm floating this info out there for others to chew on.

Let me know if you have any thoughts - we should probably decide by contract submission at the latest to give people time to adjust to a rule change.

Good suggestions and I support several of them.

This year, we should consider expanding the number of players a team can place and hold on IR and COVID IR without being penalized on the roster spot (i.e. can place on am IR roster spot and pick up another player for depth. I think one additional slot for this year only (until the next pandemic).

Also, players on our rosters should only be eligible for the IR if they are on the NFL IR list. If and when a player in the NFL is removed from the IR, that player on our rosters must also be removed and returned to the active roster.

i believe that  for those that have opted out for this season, owners should be able to retain those players without counting toward the overall 20-man roster count. I can see reasons for both counting towards contract yrs and not counting toward contract yrs, but  I would be interested to see if anyone else would be for having contract years be put on hold for those that do opt out. i.e. Shane/Gameday Demons has Damien Williams for 1 year left, putting it on hold would mean williams becomes an RFA in summer for 2022. It is important to note that NFL contracts are basically null and void for those that opt out, which supports the Damien Williams proposition above IMO.

In the case of those players that opt out mid season, I believe this should be treated similar to redshirting in college. If the player in question decides to opt out before say week 5, I believe the current contract year should be saved and not be used i.e. if Damien Williams decided to opt out right after week 4, it should be treated that the contract year was not used. This is not a matter of how many games were played but rather how many weeks have passed by. 

so in addition to those that have opted out for the season, there are those that have to sit out due to either having covid or having contact with someone with covid, but could eventually come back after the necessary quarantine. Matt Stafford, Gardner Minshew are some examples of this. I would say that for this year, we should add an extra IR spot, or having a separate covid sit-out list (separate than those that opt out for the year)

Alright - after discussions with a few of you and a few thoughts mentioned here, here are my current thoughts on COVID's impact on our league for at least the duration of this fantasy football year:

I propose the creation of a separate designation per player on each team's roster for COVID concerns.  This designation is only for players who opt out of the season.  Any player that is designated as opting out per NFL rules would be eligible to be placed into this slot.  They would neither: 1.) count towards the player count for their team (20), 2.) count towards the team contract year cap (40), or 3.) lose any contract years.  Players would need to be designated to this slot no later than the start of games on week 5 to be eligible for this designation (think of it like redshirting).  At week 5 or beyond, each player that opts out would still lose a contract year.  The player would, therefore, be eligible for IR designation if you wanted to pick up another player.

Additionally, we may need to consider reducing the minimum credits for free agent acquisition during the season to just 1 credit.  I think this reduction in cost could be tied solely to an IR move in order to ease the burden of the pandemic.  We may need to consider increasing the IR slots as well.  This could work in conjunction with the changes to IR that Shane is proposing.

Let me know what you think.

I noticed that the NFL set a deadline for a COVID season long "Opt-out" for Thursday (Aug. 6th @ 4:00 P.M. ET) so I'm not sure the week 5 "Redshirt" rule is needed.

You can read the rule, among others here.

https://www.nfl.com/news/opt-out-deadline-likely-thursday-later-choices-will-be-available 

image.png.f00b623433d330fdaaaf1e99577438c6.png

Edited by Gizmo

• 2 weeks later...

FYI: MFL has updated the Fantasy Injured Reserve options to help us handle COVID related illnesses and player Opt Outs in our fantasy league.  Players that are out because of a COVID related illness or because they are required to quarantine will be labeled with (C) after their name on the various reports and screens. Players that will miss the entire season because they chose to Opt Out will be labeled with (H) after their name.

Additionally, MFL will allow us to put Covid players on the Taxi Squad in addition to IR.  This may help us track the difference between players that will only be out for a few weeks vs out for at least 8 weeks.  Settings on our MFL will track when a player was put on IR and can allow you to not activate them for a minimum of 8 weeks.  I wouldn't mind keeping them separate.

So - we will do several things:

1. opted out covid players prior to week 5's games may be set aside for next year.  We will create a slot on each team's roster to track any opted out players.  A player can still opt out later if one of the following applies: if that player gets a new diagnosis that he has a high-risk condition; or if a player's family member dies, is hospitalized or otherwise moves to a medical facility because of COVID-19 or related condition.  Additional players may opt out during the season.

2. opted out players from week 5 and beyond.  Players opting out after that date may be assigned to IR at that point to create room on your squad.  They will still lose a contract year next march.

3. I would like to propose the use of indefinite Taxi Squad slots for this year to accommodate COVID players - even if for just a 2 week hiatus.  Players on this list are exempt from roster years and player count - allowing you to pick up a replacement player.

4. I would propose to reduce opening bids on Free Agents (after contracts have concluded) to 1 credit instead of 2 when placing a player on Taxi Squad due to COVID.  This will alleviate any concerns for picking up players during the season.

5. Number of IR slots would stay the same and would be handled as Shane is proposing.  This will keep IR changes separate from COVID.

Make sense?  Sound good?  Does anyone have any additional last minute thoughts?  I'd like to get something permanently in place by the time RFA bidding is complete - so let me know your thoughts ASAP.

• fuz pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic

I'm in favor of all Tim's proposals here.

#3 "Players on this list are exempt from roster years and player count - allowing you to pick up a replacement player."

Is a bit confusing on how that works w/ player contract years & roster numbers if only on the list for a couple weeks or new players are acquired.

Regarding #1, In favor, but seems like the last sentience is pointless. If I am reading it like it was intended, it should be followed by "see #2" because I think you are referring to anyone that opts out after week 5.

Regarding #2, I am in favor of player losing a year, but why would they not be able to join the indefinite taxi squad? Doesnt make sense that you would keep pre week 5 opt outs to the taxi squad and post week 5 to IR.

Regarding #3, I agree with it. But it will be tricky for when a player comes back, and another player has been picked up. I would propose for any roster decision that needs to be made at point of players return to be similar to the proposed IR rule change (giving a week's time to make necessary roster decision and starting charging credits for every week in delay).

On 8/22/2020 at 1:42 PM, Sallen said:

Regarding #1, In favor, but seems like the last sentience is pointless. If I am reading it like it was intended, it should be followed by "see #2" because I think you are referring to anyone that opts out after week 5.

I hope you weren't reading this as a rule definition.  The last sentence helped me transition to the 2nd point I was making...

Regarding #2, I am in favor of player losing a year, but why would they not be able to join the indefinite taxi squad? Doesnt make sense that you would keep pre week 5 opt outs to the taxi squad and post week 5 to IR.

I was just thinking about using the IR and taxi squad slots a touch differently to stay better organized.  IR for Covid opt outs.  Taxi squad for someone who may need to put a player there for a few weeks prior to coming back (not the 8 weeks that IR is currently restricted to on the MFL backend - which I could change, but just trying to organize this).  We could just use IR for all covid activities and leave the taxi squad out of it, too.  Would that be more simple for everyone?

Regarding #3, I agree with it. But it will be tricky for when a player comes back, and another player has been picked up. I would propose for any roster decision that needs to be made at point of players return to be similar to the proposed IR rule change (giving a week's time to make necessary roster decision and starting charging credits for every week in delay).

Yes, this will be a tricky year across the board.  I would agree that the proposed IR rule change penalty would apply here as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2020 at 9:51 AM, fuz said:

I was just thinking about using the IR and taxi squad slots a touch differently to stay better organized.  IR for Covid opt outs.  Taxi squad for someone who may need to put a player there for a few weeks prior to coming back (not the 8 weeks that IR is currently restricted to on the MFL backend - which I could change, but just trying to organize this).  We could just use IR for all covid activities and leave the taxi squad out of it, too.  Would that be more simple for everyone?

I dont mind having IR and taxi squad as separate, whatever is easiest. I think when you responded to this, this is how you would handle it on MFL? I am more interested as to how it would all be listed in the contract spreadsheet. If you look at the contracts that have already been submitted, Shane/Gizmo/Gameday Demons listed his opt outs under "COViD IR". Im cool with this, but I would say this get finalized sooner rather than later. Before next weeks kickoff at the very least.

Edited by Sallen

• fuz unpinned this topic