[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lamar Jackson of Baltimore Ravens named No. 1 in 'Top 100 Players of 2020' countdown

League_Champion

2 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

Uhh.. the sample was the same for everyone.  He was an absolute badass in 2020.

The poll wasn't the best player from last season I think it is who is the best player coming into this year.  Mahomes has double the number of attempts and completions and yards and won a Super Bowl MVP, coming from behind no less.  He has lit it up consistently even though people knew what was coming.  Lamar was fire last season but that's about all we've got, and he had a talented team that fell short while Mahomes didn't.  For my money I am taking Mahomes every time.  As a defender Lamar would scare the hell out of me but I don't think that means he is the best player. 

Edited by purplemonster

6 hours ago, purplemonster said:

The poll wasn't the best player from last season I think it is who is the best player coming into this year.  

"The NFL Top 100 is an annual list that features the top one hundred players in the National Football League (NFL), as chosen by fellow NFL players. The rankings are based on an off-season poll organized by the NFL, whereby players vote on their peers based on their performance for the recent NFL season."

I get that LJ needs to evolve his passing game. I wouldn't be surprised to see some regression in LJ this year after teams have a year to study film.  But, he was MVP and unstoppable last year, up until the playoff game.

Edited by Bobby Brown

42 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

I get that LJ needs to evolve his passing game. I wouldn't be surprised to see some regression in LJ this year after teams have a year to study film.  But, he was MVP and unstoppable last year, up until the playoff game.

Do you believe he should be ranked higher than Mahomes who is more accomplished and just won a Superbowl? 

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

Do you believe he should be ranked higher than Mahomes who is more accomplished and just won a Superbowl? 

If you're voting on season performance, historical accomplishments are irrelevant.  Mahomes had a great season.  Lamar Jackson led the league in TD passes and ran for more yards than any QB in NFL history.   That's a historical season . 

21 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Wait this is from a vote of the NFL players, not USA Today (who wrote it) or NFL Network (who created the list).  Oh boy, sure with the #1 overall pick I'll take Lamar Jackson, said almost no FF player in 2020. I always hope my league mates use places like that vs. The Huddle or other FF specific sites (even free ones) for their guidance. 

OK apparently this is for NFL purposes not FF, so who really cares (since we talk FF here not NFL). Even still, I'd take Mahomes every day over Jackson. 

Edited by stevegrab

10 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Wait this is from a vote of the NFL players, not USA Today (who wrote it) or NFL Network (who created the list).  Oh boy, sure with the #1 overall pick I'll take Lamar Jackson, said almost no FF player in 2020. I always hope my league mates use places like that vs. The Huddle or other FF specific sites (even free ones) for their guidance. 

OK apparently this is for NFL purposes not FF, so who really cares (since we talk FF here not NFL). Even still, I'd take Mahomes every day over Jackson. 

Agree, and it's not even close. The way Lamar was exposed against Tennessee makes me wonder.

39 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

If you're voting on season performance, historical accomplishments are irrelevant.  Mahomes had a great season.  Lamar Jackson led the league in TD passes and ran for more yards than any QB in NFL history.   That's a historical season . 

So you would want Lamar Jackson over Patrick Mahomes in 2020? Did you see how he was exposed by Tennessee in the playoffs? He was an absolute non-factor. Mahomes was Mahomes and lifted his team to a Superbowl. Mahomes is the best football player in the World, and not close right now. 

4 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

"The NFL Top 100 is an annual list that features the top one hundred players in the National Football League (NFL), as chosen by fellow NFL players. The rankings are based on an off-season poll organized by the NFL, whereby players vote on their peers based on their performance for the recent NFL season."

If you got that all correct Bobby then sorry I just had the details wrong. I owe you a beer

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

If you got that all correct Bobby then sorry I just had the details wrong. I owe you a beer

It's a bit ambiguous for many players voting I'm sure.  While they may be instructed to vote on one season of performance; it's hard to imagine some aren't considering the future and past.

4 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

It's a bit ambiguous for many players voting I'm sure.  While they may be instructed to vote on one season of performance; it's hard to imagine some aren't considering the future and past.

You're right. I guess they are being asked to predict the future. I'm just utterly shocked that Lamar Jackson would be anyone's #1, on any list.