[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy this year

Patriots

Have not really started to think about my leagues until I started seeing on the news that players have started to opt out.  Have been too wrapped up worrying about if kids are going back to school and if youth sports will happen in the Fall.  What does everyone think about this year?       We have a live draft and can't have it at a bar so will have to move to someones house.     Thinking about expanded rosters this year as looking at MLB players could be out for a week or two if they test positive.   

Stay safe everyone.    

I just checked my player news on Mfl for both my leagues and like 5 of my players have covid. This year is going to be nuts 

We usually have an in person draft using a conference at my office where about half the league works (and several others used to work there). But with our office closed except for a couple essential IT people, there is no way we're doing that. Most likely online, unless some owner wants to host it (neither myself nor my co-commish will). I was actually suggesting to my co-commish that we start thinking about what issues could arise, maybe consider reducing the fee, donate league proceeds to charity, etc. Nope he thinks everything will be OK, no need to worry we'll return to normal when "they hype dies down". :rolleyes: 

I wonder if his views have changed in the last couple of weeks. I may just put in minimal effort and resources (no extra $$ to join the weekly high score game, few if any roster moves) and try to protect my core players (5 keepers).

In my hometown league this will be the first year in about 20 that we haven't done an in-person draft, but everyone has agreed to a live, on-line one.   There has been some concerns in my other leagues but so far most are moving forward with a COVID IR slot. But I do have 2 that still seems up in the air. 

I'm honestly beginning to believe that the season will have to shutdown at some point this season. 

The O/U on how long the season goes should open at 2 weeks. If the NFL can play 2 weeks without games getting postponed or canceled it'll be a miracle.

It is mind boggling how poorly they have planned for this. When the NHL is making you look like a bunch of donkeys, chances are you're screwed.

• Haha 1

The leagues that moved forward with the bubbles will succeed . The leagues that didn’t will crash and burn - Abraham Lincoln 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/4/2020 at 9:43 AM, whomper said:

The leagues that moved forward with the bubbles will succeed . The leagues that didn’t will crash and burn - Abraham Lincoln 

The leagues that could do bubbles did, the ones that could not have a tougher time. 

If you think a bubble like that used for NBA/NHL was practical for MLB or NFL I'd like to see your plans. 

Seriously its like some sports fans live in a bubble, even the morons on TV are making it sound like the NFL/MLB just didn't think hard enough to figure out how to do the bubble. 

5 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

The leagues that could do bubbles did, the ones that could not have a tougher time. 

If you think a bubble like that used for NBA/NHL was practical for MLB or NFL I'd like to see your plans. 

Seriously its like some sports fans live in a bubble, even the morons on TV are making it sound like the NFL/MLB just didn't think hard enough to figure out how to do the bubble. 

what prohibits the NFL to do what the NHL and NBA did ? 

26 minutes ago, whomper said:

what prohibits the NFL to do what the NHL and NBA did ? 

Much larger rosters,  the NBA has 660 players in Florida,  nhl has roughly 600 in each site.  The nfl would need to isolate 3200 people for training camps, in several bubbles across several cities.  schedule, and quality of playing field the nfl typically plays on 1 field once a week,  having 4 games a week on the same field may lead to more injury. Although I wouldn't mind seeing matches within the division,  there would  be many hurdles to get all sides on board (and i dont think they have the time to do so) The other leagues where already part way through a season and are bubbling for less then half the time of the nfl season.  Also nfl typically has more injuries,  and players moved outside the bubble to attend a hospital would require time before being allowed back into the bubble.   I think the cumulative effect of the challenge make bubbling difficult.   

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, millworkguy said:

Much larger rosters,  the NBA has 660 players in Florida,  nhl has roughly 600 in each site.  The nfl would need to isolate 3200 people for training camps, in several bubbles across several cities.  schedule, and quality of playing field the nfl typically plays on 1 field once a week,  having 4 games a week on the same field may lead to more injury. Although I wouldn't mind seeing matches within the division,  there would  be many hurdles to get all sides on board (and i dont think they have the time to do so) The other leagues where already part way through a season and are bubbling for less then half the time of the nfl season.  Also nfl typically has more injuries,  and players moved outside the bubble to attend a hospital would require time before being allowed back into the bubble.   I think the cumulative effect of the challenge make bubbling difficult.   

:tup:  Good answer 

2 minutes ago, Shaft said:

Four teams (Giants, Jets, Eagles, and Raiders) have already announced they will be playing without fans. I'm struggling to see how this season will happen.

Everyone keeps pointing to TV revenue being the major factor here, not butts in seats... although that's gotta be a big part of it too.

I'm trying to remain optimistic.  If I don't have sports on TV during the fall/winter I'm going to go crazy.  I am so glad we have baseball (for now) and basketball on right now.  Definitely provides some escape.

6 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Everyone keeps pointing to TV revenue being the major factor here, not butts in seats... although that's gotta be a big part of it too.

I'm trying to remain optimistic.  If I don't have sports on TV during the fall/winter I'm going to go crazy.  I am so glad we have baseball (for now) and basketball on right now.  Definitely provides some escape.

I'm actually the opposite.  If there is one thing that this pandemic has taught me, regarding sports, it's that I don't really miss them all that much.  I did at first (probably because everything shut down at such an exciting time... NCAA tourney in hoops, Players Championship in golf), but as the past 4+ months have progressed, I have missed it less and less.  Haven't watched a single minute of NBA or MLB (although I would certainly watch the Twins if it were on local TV), and I'm finding myself more and more indifferent about whether or not the NFL happens.  Which is funny, because I'm still (reluctantly) committed to more than a half-dozen leagues.  I know that I'll get more into it if and when the season gets underway, but right now, I don't really find myself caring whether they play or not.  

I have played more golf in the past 4 months than any period of time in the past 20+ years, though.  Even more cool than that is that my 8YO son has gotten the bug.... he's gone from having very little interest to asking me almost daily if we can go play.  :lol:   I've also been binge-watching a butt-load of TV, through Hulu, Netflix, and Prime.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, darin3 said:

As revenue is a major component of the salary cap,  all sides need the TV revenue.   As much as they have agreed to a cap floor of 175 million,  the owners really don't want to be losing as much for 4 years (the agreed length of time to have revenue and salary cap back in line with their cba)  if revenues are down by 50% this year, the salary cap (per the cba) should be 98 million, a substantial amount lower then the 175 million floor.  The bet here is that this is a 1 yr blip and fans (revenue) return to last years levels.  No doubt about it, the teams are bleeding for a few years, and the scope of covid has yet to be totally realized. 

My 3 Keeper leagues will draft and then go into hibernation for one year (locked rosters except for trades).

Some of us are looking for a platform for a weekly  mini-draft and contest we can use.  

Any suggestions?

Edited by Dcat

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

My 3 Keeper leagues will draft and then go into hibernation for one year (locked rosters except for trades).

Some of us are looking for a platform for a weekly  mini-draft and contest we can use.  

Any suggestions?

You can create private groups in FanDuel.  I assume you can in DraftKings too.  You wouldn't be drafting though, it would be a salary cap deal.  

9 minutes ago, darin3 said:

You can create private groups in FanDuel.  I assume you can in DraftKings too.  You wouldn't be drafting though, it would be a salary cap deal.  

I'm banned from Fan Duel.  We hate salary cap.  HATE IT.  Draft or Auction each week is preferred.  Isn't there a site called "Draft?" that does this for we salary cap game haters.

(WTF anyone likes salary cap games is beyond me.  I manage money all week long and want my entertainment not to be tied to fictional economic hardships.  It feels like more work! )  :)

Also, I'm not 100% sure but I may have some people in states where DK and the like are prohibited.  (Arizona?)

Edited by Dcat

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I'm banned from Fan Duel.  We hate salary cap.  HATE IT.  Draft or Auction each week is preferred.  Isn't there a site called "Draft?" that does this for we salary cap game haters.

(WTF anyone likes salary cap games is beyond me.  I manage money all week long and want my entertainment not to be tied to fictional economic hardships.  It feels like more work! )  :)

Also, I'm not 100% sure but I may have some people in states where DK and the like are prohibited.  (Arizona?)

:lol: What on Earth did you do to get banned from FD?   I am with you, drafting is much more fun.  And yeah I recall a site/app called Draft.    Good luck.