[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

League plan for Covid 19 shortened season

Shakenbake

None of my leagues have really done much differently. If it does happen, then it's only fair to call it on total points for that week but I've not head of other leagues changing much if at all. Interested to hear about this as well.

A guy in our league came up with a good idea that we are going with.  

The buy in is always $200 and it's a 10 team dynasty league.  This year $1000 goes to the payouts and $1000 gets rolled into next year.  That keeps parties interested and returning and in 2021 we'll have a $200 buy in again but it will payout $2000 with a $1000 annual roll over.  This way, if anyone gets screwed by Covid then at least their losses are reduced.  

15 hours ago, RiseUp said:

Despite my rant to go off total points the league voted on record if it goes at least 8 weeks with total points the tie breaker. Any less and money is refunded. 

This is exactly what my local voted on at our draft on Friday. Except if it gets canceled before 8 weeks they wanted to roll the money to next year.

20 hours ago, Shakenbake said:

What are you doing in your leagues if there is a shortened season? Everyone gets their money back? Standings stay if season is cancelled and pay out on record, points etc? 

Thank you

We've got a tiered approach...  If the season gets cancelled before Week 7 is complete (essentially the halfway point), we're not paying out anything and everything rolls to next year.  After Week 7, but before week 14 (1st playoff week), we're going to pay out a small amount to best record and highest points - we usually don't pay either.  If it gets cancelled during the fantasy playoffs (Weeks 14 - 16), we'll pay out to playoff teams, based on where we're at and then by seeding.  But, we're still not paying out our entire pot and the remainder will roll to next season.

In any case, if the NFL season gets cancelled before our championship game in week 16, we will not declare a champion this year.

In a 14 team BOTH dynasty league.  Our usual schedule is 13 week regular season (play everyone once), top 6 teams make playoffs. Some payouts for regular season as well, but I digress.

What we have agreed to is this:

If the season ends before our regular season is over (ie week 13 is not completed), then we are considering the season a wash and rolling all buy-ins over into next season. (TBD if we will collect fees again next year and play for double). For determining the draft order for the next season (as that is usually based on season record and playoff finish), we have also agreed to use the ALL PLAY record, combining last season (2019-2020) and this season (2020-2021). Obviously the closer to t0 13 weeks we get the less we need to include the previous season, but we all agreed that setting an arbitrary week cutoff was less desirable.

If we play all 13 weeks, regular season payouts will be paid out accordingly.

If we play exactly 13 weeks - non-playoff team draft order is reverse order of standings. The 6 playoff teams will split the playoff payout, and they will "roll the dice" to determine where they go in the draft order.

If we play exactly 14 weeks (1st round of playoffs), then the 4 remaining playoff teams split the playoff money, the teams eliminated in week 13 roll dice to determine draft spot 9 and 10 (this is usually based on how the team that eliminates them fares), the 4 remaining playoff teams roll to determine 11-14.

If we play 15 weeks (playoff semifinals), then the teams in the championship game split 1st/2nd prize money and roll for pick 13-14, teams in the 3rd place game split 3rd place money and roll for picks 11-12, and the eliminated teams from the first round will roll for picks 9-10

This idea received unanimous support from all owners that weighed in, as, despite the length of the description it is extremely simple to implement and about as fair as possible to all teams.

Redraft leagues would be a different beast, but I would suggest that you have a set number of weeks, and if season is cancelled before that just refund everyone (I believe MFL has said they will refund if cancelled by week 6, seems logical to apply same to a league if using them as host), if it goes past that but is cancelled during regular season, then use a total points or all play record. And if you make it to playoffs, split prize pool amongst the playoff teams.

My co-commish had no desire to do anything differently or even discuss it, that started about 6 weeks ago when I asked him and its still the same now, "all is well season will go as planned".  Not sure if others feel the same, will be interesting to see if it comes up before we start our draft. But that won't be the time to hammer out something, maybe just have some consensus that we need a plan or not. Personally I would have liked a reduced cost this season so if it goes sour people are not out as much, or angry about a winner being crowned on some other criteria. 

If the week 12 MNF gets played then it will be considered a full season. If it gets cancelled anytime before that then everyone will get their money back. If it gets postponed after week 12 then it goes back to the most recent completed week and 4 prize positions get paid based on record/points

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

My co-commish had no desire to do anything differently or even discuss it, that started about 6 weeks ago when I asked him and its still the same now, "all is well season will go as planned".  Not sure if others feel the same, will be interesting to see if it comes up before we start our draft. But that won't be the time to hammer out something, maybe just have some consensus that we need a plan or not. Personally I would have liked a reduced cost this season so if it goes sour people are not out as much, or angry about a winner being crowned on some other criteria. 

It's funny, I pushed for reduced buy in this year (30%) as the commissioner.  Our league was fine with it but didn't really want it so we reverted to the full buy in with the refunds listed above.  

The worst case scenario is that all games are played but major fantasy contributors are in and out of the league all year.  It would be fun working the wire if COVID affected each fantasy team equally, but you know that won't be the case.

Either way, I'm ecstatic to think about football again.  Our draft was a blast (other than me taking Fournette Sunday night) and I've been watching highlights every day.  Counting down the days until 9/10...