[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Did CEH outperform DJ week one?

Run CMC

Ok I know it’s one game and he’s a rookie but I’ve been getting mixed opinions. Some say he was great some say he was decent and could have played the goal line better. I agree he could have gotten one more td but overall I think he looked very solid for a rookie debut with room to grow. DJ looked solid too with not even half the carries CEH had and still put up more fantasy points in PPR. What do you guys think ?

It's one week and they both had good games from a fantasy perspective.

David Johnson only had 11 carries, but that happens when playing from behind most of the game - he did average 7 YPC, and it's not like he had a 50 yarder to blow that average up. Lookd pretty decent overall - add in 4 targets and he's right around where we thought he would be, the 15-20 touch/target range.

CEH was playing with a lead and as expected got the lions share of carries - 25 - averaging 5.5 YPC (also without a huge 50+ yarder to push that average up) but was a complete non-factor in the passing game - very early but remains to be seen if he will have any sort of role going forward. If KC is playing with a lead most of the time (a decent possibility) then we can probably expect similar from CEH - in the neighborhood of 20 carries and minimal passing game involvement - if it is a closer game, then it remains to be seen how much he will be on the field if they are in primarily passing situations.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Big Country said:

It's one week and they both had good games from a fantasy perspective.

David Johnson only had 11 carries, but that happens when playing from behind most of the game - he did average 7 YPC, and it's not like he had a 50 yarder to blow that average up. Lookd pretty decent overall - add in 4 targets and he's right around where we thought he would be, the 15-20 touch/target range.

CEH was playing with a lead and as expected got the lions share of carries - 25 - averaging 5.5 YPC (also without a huge 50+ yarder to push that average up) but was a complete non-factor in the passing game - very early but remains to be seen if he will have any sort of role going forward. If KC is playing with a lead most of the time (a decent possibility) then we can probably expect similar from CEH - in the neighborhood of 20 carries and minimal passing game involvement - if it is a closer game, then it remains to be seen how much he will be on the field if they are in primarily passing situations.

I completely agree with everything you said. CEH reminds me of Maurice Jones Drew is his prime. 

Edited by Run CMC

CEH was drafted in part because of his receiving skills. He caught 55 passes at LSU last season. He missed his two targets but at least one was uncatchable anyway. HOU has a bad secondary and Mahomes killed them with multiple different receivers. I would expect CEH to become more of a receiver in later games against better secondaries that can handle the wideouts better. CEH did chip a DE and then trickle out as a receiver on several occasions but Mahomes never needed him.

Johnson looked much better than he has for a long time. But KC defense was #29 against RBs last year anyway and DJ got that weird benefit of them running the ball when they were already down by 17 and KC was backed up against the pass. It was encouraging for DJ to be sure, but also a function of the opponent and situation.

I was very pleased with what DJ did. I got him with the very last pick of the 2nd round in my two leagues. Both are free keeper leagues so really you could say it was the end of the 3rd round. If he can stay healthy I think he will be bargain this year

Regarding the actually question here, I wouldn’t consider it a one outperforming the other. They both did well for fantasy purposes considering the game flow. All I know is I wanted CEH on my teams and didn’t have a chance to get him

Edited by Finn5033

6 hours ago, Run CMC said:

Ok I know it’s one game and he’s a rookie but I’ve been getting mixed opinions. Some say he was great some say he was decent and could have played the goal line better. I agree he could have gotten one more td but overall I think he looked very solid for a rookie debut with room to grow. DJ looked solid too with not even half the carries CEH had and still put up more fantasy points in PPR. What do you guys think ?

I wouldn't say mixed opinions, as that implies either good or bad, I think we are more arguing over "good to great" vs "holy crap".  A guy who runs for 130 yards with a great avg and a TD and got a lot of goal line work is an unmitigated success.  He didn't even catch any passes.  Yes, the goal line work will be a concern, but a fairly minimal one I would imagine as Reid tends to stick with his guy most of the game.  He'll get more opportunities, maybe not 6 in a game, but he'll still get some.  

Edited by purplemonster

Both had good games. 

For CEH, I felt his goal line carries would have been an issue for any RB as Houston was selling out for the run.  There was JJ Watt already in the backfield a few times before even allowing CEH to make a play.   I guess CEH being small would make it tough to jump over but OLine has to block better or since they were selling out for the run, to go outside of the tackles with run or pass.  

27 minutes ago, indyrckstar said:

Both had good games. 

For CEH, I felt his goal line carries would have been an issue for any RB as Houston was selling out for the run.  There was JJ Watt already in the backfield a few times before even allowing CEH to make a play.   I guess CEH being small would make it tough to jump over but OLine has to block better or since they were selling out for the run, to go outside of the tackles with run or pass.  

I agree this is mainly true but I also think you might want to be a little careful with the pile ups because he's not a huge guy. I don't think that Reid is willing to do many QB sneaks anymore after Mahomes got injured on one before so they will need to figure out something for short yardage but I don't think anyone needs to be too concerned. 

To be honest I was more impressed at how DJ looked, I kind of expected that out of CEH in that offense 

Edited by purplemonster

1 hour ago, purplemonster said:

I agree this is mainly true but I also think you might want to be a little careful with the pile ups because he's not a huge guy. I don't think that Reid is willing to do many QB sneaks anymore after Mahomes got injured on one before so they will need to figure out something for short yardage but I don't think anyone needs to be too concerned. 

To be honest I was more impressed at how DJ looked, I kind of expected that out of CEH in that offense 

Yep.  I have no idea if they have a bigger guy to put in there in those situations too.

Defenses will have to pick their poison.  Stuff run or spread it out to attempt to control the passing games.  CEH benefits in this offense.  Not sure how well he would be in most offenses due to overall size.