[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Artificial crowd noise

rajncajn

10 minutes ago, whomper said:

I thought they did a good job with the crowd noise . On many occasions, I forgot it was fake and it was a game with no fans . I didnt mind it at all 

Maybe it was just the Saints games since that's the only one I watched, but it was absolutely horrible. It was like watching an old sitcom with a bad laugh track. It was way too loud for one thing. I'm used to watching Saints games where, at times, you have to strain a little to hear the announcers, but when it's fake? It was really off as well. "Fans" were cheering when they really shouldn't, cheering for mediocre plays, and it was a bit delayed as well. I think the only thing they got right was booing one of the PI calls. But, apparently, the crowd noise was only for the viewing audience. There was none in the actual dome. Honestly, I'd much prefer taking the opportunity to get a better listen to what's happening on the field than hear fake noise.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/09/nfl-saints-bucs-fake-crowd-noise-stinks

On 9/13/2020 at 5:54 PM, Shaft said:

I find the NBA's computer generated faces more annoying.

Computer generated?  I don't think you grasp what is being done, or are using that term wrong. These are virtual fans, sitting there watching the game live with some device recording them like a giant web meeting using Microsoft Teams software. That also includes piping the sound from those fans into the arena where the game is being played. 

Its as close to having real fans in attendance as it gets. The card board cut outs at MLB games, those are a bit more lame and don't do much but just sit there. 

Sports were meant to be played with fans watching, in fact that is all there was before radio and TV coverage. I'm glad some NFL teams are having fans and hope more will, but I don't think the NBA's virtual fan system is annoying. But then I also don't watch a lot of NBA. 

33 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Computer generated?  I don't think you grasp what is being done, or are using that term wrong. These are virtual fans, sitting there watching the game live with some device recording them like a giant web meeting using Microsoft Teams software. That also includes piping the sound from those fans into the arena where the game is being played. 

Its as close to having real fans in attendance as it gets. The card board cut outs at MLB games, those are a bit more lame and don't do much but just sit there. 

Sports were meant to be played with fans watching, in fact that is all there was before radio and TV coverage. I'm glad some NFL teams are having fans and hope more will, but I don't think the NBA's virtual fan system is annoying. But then I also don't watch a lot of NBA. 

Steve, you are absolutely right, I had no idea what was being done and neither did I look it up. I stand corrected. It still looks funny to me. :lol:

Edited by Shaft

11 minutes ago, Shaft said:

Steve, you are absolutely right, I had no idea what was being done and neither did I look it up. I stand corrected. It still looks funny to me. :lol:

Its all good, it does look kind of odd. I think it does help provide some semblance of home court advantage, your fans cheering you, booing the opponents. Not something I'd do, and I've noticed some people wearing costumes, or maybe that was somebody's dog in the fan picture. The NFL was doing a bit of that coming out of commercial breaks, with some pictures of fans cheering on the team, saw it in several games. 

Jimmy Fallon does a bit called "go on get" as in "we're done with you, get the hell out"  he used the "NFL games with no fans" as one, then added "but keep the games, I'm so glad football is back". I'm feeling similar glad the games are back, not a huge MLB or NBA fan, and rarely watch hockey, so none of those returning were what I was looking forward to. 

Starting to notice it more, was way behind the action several times during MNF making it obvious how fake it is.

I hope all teams have fans soon and can have some crowd noise. (I guess both LV and WAS owners announced at beginning of season NO FANS ALL YEAR, so they won't all have fans.) I'm a bit surprised CLE had fans for the home opener and will again this weekend, yet many other more conservative states have not allowed fans. 

On 9/18/2020 at 11:17 AM, stevegrab said:

Wanted to follow up, I may have been wrong about this, I thought the fans were real and sitting at home watching the game doing everything we see. However I caught some promo soliciting fans and they simply asked for a picture to be sent in, maybe they are using computer animation to make those people look like real live fans. Don't know for sure what is going on, but wanted to clarify this a bit. 

7 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Wanted to follow up, I may have been wrong about this, I thought the fans were real and sitting at home watching the game doing everything we see. However I caught some promo soliciting fans and they simply asked for a picture to be sent in, maybe they are using computer animation to make those people look like real live fans. Don't know for sure what is going on, but wanted to clarify this a bit. 

Jeez, you're about as dumb as they come. #LittleBus

Edited by League_Champion

3 minutes ago, JoJoTheWebToedBoy said:

Gave me a chuckle, In Philly last week when Wentz threw a pick in the red zone they actually played fan's booing.  I thought, no.... But even the announcers mentioned it.  

Reading that it made sense to me, "in Philly" fans would boo their QB throwing a pick in RZ, but the game was not "in Philly" it was in Landover MD (home of Washington FT) 

18 hours ago, stevegrab said:

All good, we move on to the next discussion.

4 hours ago, Caveman_Nick said:

There was one point in the ‘Aints-Faiders game where there was a noticeable delay between the play and the crowd noise.  Made me laugh.

I think what bugs me most is the random cheering,  especially when it's for the opposing team. 

On 9/22/2020 at 12:15 PM, stevegrab said:

Reading that it made sense to me, "in Philly" fans would boo their QB throwing a pick in RZ, but the game was not "in Philly" it was in Landover MD (home of Washington FT) 

That would explain it then.....