[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is Manning all about the numbers?

CaptainHook

But no, Manning has not begun looking for ways to pad his statistics. You can question why the first-team offense was still on the field so late in the Houston game -- some of us still don't quite get it -- but be assured, it wasn't with Manning's numbers in mind.

"Somebody asked me if I was conscious of (the record)," Manning said. "The perfect example of the way I work: We were playing Cleveland in 1999, and somebody in PR (public relations) pointed out that I had a 27-game touchdown streak at that point, and had a chance to tie (Johnny) Unitas the following year.

"We had a third-and-5 in the fourth quarter. (Ken) Dilger had already dropped one on me, and then we had a pass play called, a fade to Marvin (Harrison), but I saw a huge hole over the left guard, checked into a run, (Edgerrin James) scored and the streak ended. I didn't think twice about it. If we go to Chicago and I hand off five times to Edge for touchdowns, that's all that matters."

link

I think all the Manning/Colts fans have a complex. They feel the need to keep pointing out that their boy is the best in the league. They are constantly whining that some people feel he is all about himself and can not win the big one. Gentlemen, there is no "I" in team unless your in Indy and play on Peyton's teim.

Enjoy the TD passes and yet another year without a SB ring. :D

I think all the Manning/Colts fans have a complex. They feel the need to keep pointing out that their boy is the best in the league. They are constantly whining that some people feel he is all about himself and can not win the big one. Gentlemen, there is no "I" in team unless your in Indy and play on Peyton's teim.

Enjoy the TD passes and yet another year without a SB ring.    :D

564136[/snapback]

Taking a glance over this msg board every week and the amount of anti-Manning threads that pop up for different reasons, I would say they are justified.

Enjoy the TD passes and yet another year without a SB ring.    :D

564136[/snapback]

You're right. Manning and all of his production is the reason why they haven't won a Superbowl. :D

You're right.  Manning and all of his production is the reason why they haven't won a Superbowl. :D

564516[/snapback]

Well, he does have a point, sort of. With Indy's pouris defense, conventional wisdom calls for employing those offensive weapons in a "ball control" offense to keep the defense off the field. With the threat of the pass, the Colts could develop a snot nozed attitude conducive to playing in cold, hostile weather environments, and thus, NOT HAVE TO SCORE 40 POINTS A WEEK TO WIN.

I don't care if Manning wants the record. Who woudn't? I don't understand the criticism there. However, Colts Management and Coaching is clearly more interested in putting on a show, justifying their $34 million bonus, and entertaining fans during the regular season, than winning it all!

When they played NE early on, they ran the ball well, so lets see.

Passing games can be disrupted and have their timing thrown off by bad weather and good coaching. Solid running and Good defense wins championships.

The colts continue to defy logic. Employing a no-huddle offense all game and continually passing is clear evidence they are turning a blind-eye to their HORRIBLE defense and are not concerned about increasing their probability of a win with a game plan. With that offense, they could slow it down, run the ball, mix in a few passes each drive and eat up 40 minutes of posession time.

Well, he does have a point, sort of.  With Indy's pouris defense, conventional wisdom calls for employing those offensive weapons in a "ball control" offense to keep the defense off the field.  With the threat of the pass, the Colts could develop a snot nozed attitude conducive to playing in cold, hostile weather environments, and thus, NOT HAVE TO SCORE 40 POINTS A WEEK TO WIN.

I don't care if Manning wants the record. Who woudn't?  I don't understand the criticism there.  However, Colts Management and Coaching is clearly more interested in putting on a show, justifying their $34 million bonus, and entertaining fans during the regular season, than winning it all!

When they played NE early on, they ran the ball well, so lets see.

Passing games can be disrupted and have their timing thrown off by bad weather and good coaching.  Solid running and Good defense wins championships.

The colts continue to defy logic.  Employing a no-huddle offense all game and continually passing is clear evidence they are turning a blind-eye to their HORRIBLE defense and are not concerned about increasing their probability of a win with a game plan.  With that offense, they could slow it down, run the ball, mix in a few passes each drive and eat up 40 minutes of posession time.

564569[/snapback]

Ok the insanity must stop.

How can you people continue to ignore the fact that Edgerinn James is having his best season since his knee injury? In fact he is currently the 6th ranked RB in both of my leagues. Just because Manning's numbers are other-wordly doesn't mean that James's must be suffering. In fact the Colts are basically running a very balanced attack on Offense. And they run the ball well every week.

Gspot if you are going to get on here and spew forth crap such as your post I am replying to could you do us all a favor and do so only on subjects that you have at least a modicum of knowledge on.

First of all it was, arguably, the RB that cost the Colts the NE game early on this season. While Manning did throw an INT in the Red Zone that game, let's not forget Edges 2 Fumbles inside the 10, 1 of which was at the goal line. Were those fumbles Manning's fault?

You were correct when you said they ran the ball well that week. In fact they have continued to run the ball well all season. Edge is averaging more carries per game this year than in any other season since he hurt his knee in 2001. And he is averaging nearly 4.5 yds per carry. Maybe because the last thing a defense can do against Indy is stack the box to stop the run. That part is Manning's fault. Peyton's willingness to pass the football on any given play, from any formation, makes that type of defense pointless against the Colts. Last week after James long run that ended at the 1 yd line the Colts came out in a total run formation, Manning checked off the play, without changing the formation, and proceeded to throw a TD pass to a wide open receiver.

You say they continually pass the ball yet on the season Manning has only thrown 75 more times than a RB has been handed the ball. Over 9 games that is roughly 8 more passes per game than runs. And the Colts are averaging better than 20 running plays per game so they are definitely NOT ignoring the run. But when you have a QB like Manning with Targets like Harrison, Wayne, Stokely, Clark, Pollard and yes, James how could you not throw the ball more than you pass it? And yet the Colts are fairly close to a 50/50 split. It's like 58/42, pass/run. That ratio does not suggest ecessive passing.

And they are currently 6-3 with one loss coming in NE by 3 points despite 3 Turnovers in the red zone, one loss coming at the hands of the Chiefs in KC in a shootout and the other on a long FG with less than a minute on the clock to a divisional foe fighting for their playoff lives.

So they have actually done a pretty good job and with the exception of the KC game they were within 2 plays of being 8-1.

All of this criticism of Manning might be easier to listen to if the Colts weren't in 1st place in their division and if Manning's QB rating wasn't over 122 for the season.

Ok, your right!!! I guess a no-huddle offense with a horrible defense is a great idea!

As I said above, I have no problem with Manning and did not bash him. I have a problem with the Colts brain trust.

As you said above:

"Edge is averaging more carries per game this year than in any other season since he hurt his knee in 2001. And he is averaging nearly 4.5 yds per carry. Maybe because the last thing a defense can do against Indy is stack the box to stop the run."

THIS IS EXACTLY WHEY THEY SHOULD BE RUNNING A HECK OF LOT MORE THAN PASSING, as I say again!!!!!! To keep their defense OFF THE FIELD!

I cannot believe the blind-eye to this madness, defending the Colts gameplans.

With a horrible, pouris, last in the league ranked defense, ball control is warranted.

C'mon, if they lose 34-31, no one even considers the gameplan and blames the defense. It is entirely logic to ask the question: "If they ran the ball more, played ball control, and ate up TOP, would their defense have given up 34??? The fact is, their offense is the best in the league. With that advantage, playing ball control is a better option than going no huddle and scoring in 5 plays. You can pound the other team, score when you need to, while keeping their offense off the field.

Comparing their rushing stats in past years is not even relevant, as when have they won the big game? Without a blown call and bogus PI call on TG in last year's KC game, they don't even make it to the championship game.

If their offense continues to roll through the Super Bowl while continuing to put more pressure than needed on their defense, I will stand corrected.

If they go up to Pittsburg or Foxboro and win a tough game in bad conditions, no harm, no foul, and I will again, stand corrected.

And to me spewing Crap, only mental midgets resort to name calling in a debate.

But no, Manning has not begun looking for ways to pad his statistics. You can question why the first-team offense was still on the field so late in the Houston game -- some of us still don't quite get it -- but be assured, it wasn't with Manning's numbers in mind.

"Somebody asked me if I was conscious of (the record)," Manning said. "The perfect example of the way I work: We were playing Cleveland in 1999, and somebody in PR (public relations) pointed out that I had a 27-game touchdown streak at that point, and had a chance to tie (Johnny) Unitas the following year.

"We had a third-and-5 in the fourth quarter. (Ken) Dilger had already dropped one on me, and then we had a pass play called, a fade to Marvin (Harrison), but I saw a huge hole over the left guard, checked into a run, (Edgerrin James) scored and the streak ended. I didn't think twice about it. If we go to Chicago and I hand off five times to Edge for touchdowns, that's all that matters."

link

564009[/snapback]

I guess my question is why do defenses play Manning with 8 man fronts? Back to the drawing board guys...

Ok, your right!!!  I guess a no-huddle offense with a horrible defense is a great idea! 

As I said above, I have no problem with Manning and did not bash him.  I have a problem with the Colts brain trust. 

As you said above:

"Edge is averaging more carries per game this year than in any other season since he hurt his knee in 2001. And he is averaging nearly 4.5 yds per carry. Maybe because the last thing a defense can do against Indy is stack the box to stop the run."

THIS IS EXACTLY WHEY THEY SHOULD BE RUNNING A HECK OF LOT MORE THAN PASSING, as I say again!!!!!!  To keep their defense OFF THE FIELD! 

I cannot believe the blind-eye to this madness, defending the Colts gameplans.

With a horrible, pouris, last in the league ranked defense, ball control is warranted.

C'mon, if they lose 34-31, no one even considers the gameplan and blames the defense.  It is entirely logic to ask the question: "If they ran the ball more, played ball control, and ate up TOP, would their defense have given up 34???  The fact is, their offense is the best in the league.  With that advantage, playing ball control is a better option than going no huddle and scoring in 5 plays.  You can pound the other team, score when you need to, while keeping their offense off the field.

Comparing their rushing stats in past years is not even relevant, as when have they won the big game?  Without a blown call and bogus PI call on TG in last year's KC game, they don't even make it to the championship game.

If their offense continues to roll through the Super Bowl while continuing to put more pressure than needed on their defense, I will stand corrected.

If they go up to Pittsburg or Foxboro and win a tough game in bad conditions, no harm, no foul, and I will again, stand corrected.

And to me spewing Crap, only mental midgets resort to name calling in a debate.

564858[/snapback]

Most teams say they would like a 50/50 Balance between the run and the pass. Everyone has been saying that the Colts need to run more, they are ignoring the run game, Edge is getting shafted but in realty the run game is accounting for a little more than 42% of the offensive play calling. And nearly all of that has been Edge. That's pretty amazing when you consider all of the great targets Manning has to throw to.

If they were to go with a Run 1st offense then teams would start to stack the box against them. They are a passing team they are going to pass 1st. And yet the run is a large part of their Gameplan every week.

And besides...

They are in 1st place in their division.

At 6-3 there are only 4 teams in the entire NFL with a better record and only 2 of them are in their Conference.

They are scoring better than 4 offensive TD's a game.

And yet you are talking about them as if they were 3-6 and out of the playoff race. Why don't you start taking shots at KC. They are seemingly doing nothing to improve their team and they are only 3-6. At the very least the Colts are winning games.

Why would you build a team to be a fast-paced, point-a-minute team and then try to slow them down, unless they weren't winning games?

No one was telling Vermeil to slow down the Rams during their Super Bowl run. The answer isn't to slow down the offense. The answer is to address their problems on Defense. Which they are doing.

And to that end, let's not forget that Doss, Sanders and Harper have all been hurt at one time or another this year. All of these guys are getting healthy and the defense has shown some signs of life this season, including 4 games where they held their opponents to 17 points or less. That's nearly half their games. And the pass rush is stepping up as well, Dwight Freeney has been an animal here lately.

And I'm pretty sure that I didn't call you a name, I attacked your argument, which is what one does in a debate. I said you were spewing forth crap. Which you are still spewing. I didn't call you a name. You however did call me a mental midget. And you said I was such because I called you a name. Now that you have called me a name I am wondering if you are calling yourself a Mental Midget?

And the word is POROUS not pouris.

Manning eyes magic number

Colts quarterback needs 22 TD passes to tie Marino's NFL record that has stood for 20 years.

By Mike Chappell

mike.chappell@indystar.com

November 11, 2004

Forty-eight. The number will shadow Peyton Manning throughout the rest of the regular season as the Indianapolis Colts quarterback pursues one of the NFL's most revered individual records.

Forty-eight. That's the number of touchdown passes Miami quarterback Dan Marino produced in 1984, eclipsing the single-season league record (36) shared by the New York Giants' Y.A. Tittle (1963) and Houston's George Blanda (1961).

Fifty-two. That's Manning's target number based on the torrid pace he established during the first half of the season with 26.

But rather than allow his mind to contemplate the magnitude of 48 -- or 52 for that matter -- Manning zeros in on the most significant byproduct of Marino's record-breaking season. While their second-year quarterback was unleashing TD bombs on a weekly basis, the Dolphins were rolling.

"I know when Marino had that great year, they went to the Super Bowl," Manning said Wednesday afternoon. "They were winning games."

Miami won 14 of 16 regular-season games and reached Super Bowl XIX, where it lost to San Francisco.

Marino and his aerial circus, Manning noted, "was a big part of that.

"That's all I'm really into: Have I helped my team win games? I feel like for us to win, I have to do my part.

Looks to me like Manning's definitely aware of the record. His own words bear out that he feels he'll need to keep on keeping on to get the Colts to a Superbowl.

So to me, yeah he wouldn't mind having the record, but his ultimate goal is the Super Bowl and he'll do whatever it takes to get there. If that means breaking Marino's TD record, then so be it, but it'll really come as a result of his quest for a Super Bowl ring.

My .02 anyway.

Most teams say they would like a 50/50 Balance between the run and the pass. Everyone has been saying that the Colts need to run more, they are ignoring the run game, Edge is getting shafted but in realty the run game is accounting for a little more than 42% of the offensive play calling. And nearly all of that has been Edge. That's pretty amazing when you consider all of the great targets Manning has to throw to.

If they were to go with a Run 1st offense then teams would start to stack the box against them. They are a passing team they are going to pass 1st. And yet the run is a large part of their Gameplan every week.

And besides...

They are in 1st place in their division.

At 6-3 there are only 4 teams in the entire NFL with a better record and only 2 of them are in their Conference.

They are scoring better than 4 offensive TD's a game.

And yet you are talking about them as if they were 3-6 and out of the playoff race. Why don't you start taking shots at KC. They are seemingly doing nothing to improve their team and they are only 3-6. At the very least the Colts are winning games.

Why would you build a team to be a fast-paced, point-a-minute team and then try to slow them down, unless they weren't winning games?

No one was telling Vermeil to slow down the Rams during their Super Bowl run. The answer isn't to slow down the offense. The answer is to address their problems on Defense. Which they are doing.

And to that end, let's not forget that Doss, Sanders and Harper have all been hurt at one time or another this year. All of these guys are getting healthy and the defense has shown some signs of life this season, including 4 games where they held their opponents to 17 points or less. That's nearly half their games. And the pass rush is stepping up as well, Dwight Freeney has been an animal here lately.

And I'm pretty sure that I didn't call you a name, I attacked your argument, which is what one does in a debate. I said you were spewing forth crap. Which you are still spewing. I didn't call you a name. You however did call me a mental midget. And you said I was such because I called you a name. Now that you have called me a name I am wondering if you are calling yourself a Mental Midget?

And the word is POROUS not pouris.

564962[/snapback]

Thanks for the spell check.

I am not saying the Colts are bad. I will stand by my viewpoint that this style of play is not conducive to them winning the big games under harsh conditions in the playoffs.

As I have said, if they win it all or win a tough, smash mouth game at Pitt or NE in January, I will stand corrected.

I would slow them down, no question. Again, if Peyton brings his goal of winning a Super Bowl to fruition this season, I will be wrong. If the offense has its timing thrown off and it can't win a field position game in driving wind or snow in January or they lose 34-31, slowing down may have been the better option.

Looks to me like Manning's definitely aware of the record. His own words bear out that he feels he'll need to keep on keeping on to get the Colts to a Superbowl.

So to me, yeah he wouldn't mind having the record, but his ultimate goal is the Super Bowl and he'll do whatever it takes to get there. If that means breaking Marino's TD record, then so be it, but it'll really come as a result of his quest for a Super Bowl ring.

My .02 anyway.

565072[/snapback]

I hear ya, but growing up as Archie's kid and being bred a quarterback I'm sure he was aware of Marino's record when he was in high school

I'm gonna start off by saying I'm not a big fan of Peyton, but it's not because of his skill or leadership or anything. No good reason, I'm just not a big fan.

In any case, saying the no-huddle offense hurts the team because of the poor defensive play just dos'nt fit. The Colts run a no-huddle offense, not a hurry-up offense. It's not very often Manning gets a play off with more than a few seconds left on the clock. You can control the clock and the game just as easy with a short passing game. It's not his fault the team has great talent on offense.

What the no-huddle DOES do for them is keep the opposing teams defense from making player/scheme changes.

.....but.....