[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is Manning all about the numbers?

CaptainHook

I really had no opinion on Manning going after the record until I watched the game yesterday. For most of the game I agreed with most that Peyton was just putting the ball up and his receivers were scoring some TD's on their own (Stokley's 3rd TD is a great example). However, with Indy up 34-6 and the ball at the six, (I believe it was 2nd and 4) Manning playactions to James and throws his 6 TD of the game to Harrison. Why? Did he need the TD? Sure score as often as you can, teams can blow big leads, highly unlikely as Detroit was aweful yesterday, but it could happen. Indy is in an obvious run formation as Harrison is in tight, Detroit is stacked on the line looking for the run (have they watched Manning this season? Do they know about the record?) I thought I saw Manning check out of the original play (run?) but who knows. Bottom line TD to Harrison. Stat padding or just a great read? My feeling would be that if Indy's offense can't punch it in from the five (they had up to 5 more downs if they get the first at the 2) against a bad Lions D how are they going to do it against Pittsburgh or NE. Does Manning not have confidence in James or his O line? It was the perfect opportunity to prove to other defenses that they can pound the ball.

Manning will get the record but will Indy get to the Superbowl??? We'll know in a couple months.

Edited by T-Scorp

I really had no opinion on Manning going after the record until I watched the game yesterday.  For most of the game I agreed with most that Peyton was just putting the ball up and his receivers were scoring some TD's on their own (Stokley's 3rd TD is a great example).  However, with Indy up 34-6 and the ball at the six, (I believe it was 2nd and 4) Manning playactions to James and throws his 6 TD of the game to Harrison.  Why?  Did he need the TD? Sure score as often as you can, teams can blow big leads, highly unlikely as Detroit was aweful yesterday, but it could happen.  Indy is in an obvious run formation as Harrison is in tight, Detroit is stacked on the line looking for the run (have they watched Manning this season?  Do they know about the record?)  I thought I saw Manning check out of the original play (run?) but who knows.  Bottom line TD to Harrison.  Stat padding or just a great read?  My feeling would be that if Indy's offense can't punch it in from the five (they had up to 5 more downs if they get the first at the 2) against a bad Lions D how are they going to do it against Pittsburgh or NE.  Does Manning not have confidence in James or his O line?  It was the perfect opportunity to prove to other defenses that they can pound the ball.

Manning will get the record but will Indy get to the Superbowl???  We'll know in a couple months.

576103[/snapback]

You know, I made that exact same point a couple of weeks ago, but was told by some dufus that they didn't need to work on their Goal Line Run Package.

That's what practice was for this tool said. Like practicing the Goal Line Run Package against your own team mates is anywhere akin to live game action :D

Edited by Big Score 1

Manning sat out the 4th quarter. Enough about people accusing him of record chasing..... if he was, he would have played the 4th quarter. He easilly could have thrown for 8, and gotten the single game record. As far as throwing TD's from inside the ten, it works, period. Once teams start using "other than goal line defenses" inside the ten, then Indy will run the ball in. Manning will simply take what the the defense gives. That is the mark of a competitor, a winner. He is a target, simply because he is the best QB in the NFL, hands down.

Edited by Rovers

Manning sat out the 4th quarter. Enough about people accusing him of record chasing..... if he was, he would have played the 4th quarter. He easilly could have thrown for 8, and gotten the single game record. As far as throwing TD's from inside the ten, it works, period. Once teams start using "other than goal line defenses" inside the ten, then Indy will run the ball in. Manning will simply take what the the defense gives. That is the mark of a competitor, a winner. He is a target, simply because he is the best QB in the NFL, hands down.

576247[/snapback]

Hell, I'm sure that he IS going for the record. Why not? As long as they have a substantial lead in the second half and he isn't putting his team's lead in jeopardy, why not go for it? As long as passing the ball works, stick with it.

That said, I fully expect the Colts to lean heavier on Edge when they face tougher secondaries (Baltimore, Denver) and when they play outdoors in December/January. As long as Peyton doesn't do something stupid like go for a playoff TD record, I can't fault him for doing what's clearly working very well.

Records were made to be broken.... i am so tired of all the moaning and groaning about padding stats...its not padding stats its about breaking records and making it to the superbowl...why the @#$% would we watch then if records didn't come and go... we wouldn't cause it would get pretty boring ....getting off soap box now and dancing cause I :D HAVE MANNING :D

Why does Manning continue to throw in the third quarter?

October 18, 1998 Colts lead 21-0 and 31-17 but lose 34-31 at San Francisco

November 29, 1998 Colts lead 17-3 & 24-10 but lose 38-31 at Baltimore

December 3, 1998 Colts lead 21-7 but lose 28-21 at Atlanta

December 19, 1998 Colts lead 23-10 but lose 27-23 at Seattle

September 19, 1999 Colts lead 21-0 but lose 31-28 at New England

September 10, 2000 Colts lead 21-0 and 24-7 but lose 38-31 at home to Oakland

December 30, 2000 Colts lead 14-0 but lose 27-23 in OT at Miami in play-offs

Peyton learned a long time ago, that no lead is safe. . .

Why does Manning continue to throw in the third quarter?

October 18, 1998  Colts lead 21-0 and 31-17 but lose 34-31 at San Francisco

November 29, 1998 Colts lead 17-3 & 24-10 but lose 38-31 at Baltimore

December 3, 1998 Colts lead 21-7 but lose 28-21 at Atlanta

December 19, 1998 Colts lead 23-10 but lose 27-23 at Seattle

September 19, 1999 Colts lead 21-0 but lose 31-28 at New England

September 10, 2000 Colts lead 21-0 and 24-7 but lose 38-31 at home to Oakland

December 30, 2000 Colts lead 14-0 but lose 27-23 in OT at Miami in play-offs

Peyton learned a long time ago, that no lead is safe. . .

578745[/snapback]

And the best defense is attack.