[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Julius Jones

Skrappy1

If you are desperate for some RB depth and he is still available, better put a claim in on him now. He was only upgraded from "Out" to "Doubtful" but if you read into the comments that Parcells had said earlier this week, he could conceivably play this week. Even if he doesn't, I think they will definitely start working him in next week, and I'd be extremely surprised if within a few weeks he wasn't carrying most of the load for the running game in Dallas...they will want to see if he is capable or not.

Here is a story and a link:

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/football/10232356.htm

Cowboys Notes

Rookie Jones is no longer out, just doubtful

By Clarence E. Hill Jr.

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

IRVING - When does "out" not mean "out"?

By the way he is handling rookie running back Julius Jones this week, it's when Cowboys coach Bill Parcells decides.

Jones, who returned to practice Wednesday for the first time since fracturing a shoulder in Week 2, was upgraded from out to doubtful Friday, leaving open the possibility for him to play against Baltimore on Sunday.

In listing Jones out Wednesday, Parcells said: "That's what out means. Unless that changes, I would assume that's out."

Jones practiced Wednesday and Thursday without any problems. Yet, early Friday morning, Parcells said his mind hadn't changed.

"If you felt like there was any chance he would play, you should upgrade him," Parcells said. "Right now we're not in that situation, but you never know."

Jones said he will do whatever the Cowboys want him to do. He said he's happy to be back at practice and be part of the team again.

"I feel good," Jones said. "I have been cleared by the doctors. I will play whenever they say I can play. We will see."

The Cowboys have missed Jones. The speedy second-round pick from Notre Dame was supposed to serve as a change-of-pace runner and third-down back, while giving the Cowboys a legitimate home-run threat. He missed the season opener because of injured ribs.Jones carried five times for 16 yards against Cleveland before fracturing the shoulder.

If Jones doesn't play Sunday, he would like to be in the lineup next Thursday for the Thanksgiving Day matchup against Chicago. His brother, Thomas Jones, plays running back for the Bears, and it would be their first professional showdown.

I thought about picking him up, but then I realized couple things: (1) he's an unproven rookie that has done nothing but get injured this season - and has such limited experience this season he will most likely go through several games of learning...and do poorly in the process; and (2) they have a former all-pro RB who will most likely be sharing carries to assist Jones during the learning process.

Does this sound about right - or is there reason to believe he will become a top-10 to top-15 RB during the last few weeks of the season? :D

I thought about picking him up, but then I realized couple things: (1) he's an unproven rookie that has done nothing but get injured this season - and has such limited experience this season he will most likely go through several games of learning...and do poorly in the process; and (2) they have a former all-pro RB who will most likely be sharing carries to assist Jones during the learning process.

Does this sound about right - or is there reason to believe he will become a top-10 to top-15 RB during the last few weeks of the season?  :D

566254[/snapback]

No, I think your description sounds mostly accurate. He is definitely not guaranteed to be a success, but if he was then he wouldn't be available on most leagues' waiver wires, right?

I agree, it will likely be 2-3 weeks before he is worked heavily into Dallas's running game. I do think that he will get the chance to carry the majority of the load by then though...the former all-pro RB you mentioned is just that, with heavy emphasis on the word former. He's a shell of what he used to be, and truthfully was probably a bit over-rated at his peak simply because he was an extremely gutty, classy player. I mean no disrespect to Eddie, but his time is done and Parcells clearly knows it. Dallas's season is already shot, and they will want to see if Jones can get the job done or if they need to trade or draft another RB next season.

The fact that Jones should get an opportunity certainly makes him worth the risk of picking him up in my opinion.

Does this sound about right - or is there reason to believe he will become a top-10 to top-15 RB during the last few weeks of the season?  :D

566254[/snapback]

His value is highest in keeper leagues.

Obviously his only value this year would be if you just don't have anyone else to start at RB. I picked him up 2 weeks ago as a possible lower level keeper in my local. I have no intention of starting him, unless he comes in and just starts lighting it up. But next year things could work out.

I did the same thing about this time last year with McGahee. I picked him up and just left him on the bench until 3 weeks ago, and now I have another starting RB. So I figured why not pull the trigger and try again with Jones. :D

Cowboys | Jones to Play in Week 11? - from www.KFFL.com

Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:06:02 -0800

Updating previous reports, Dallas Cowboys RB Julius Jones (shoulder) will play in Week 11, according to team owner Jerry Jones. Julius Jones was also on the team's charter to Baltimore, in preparation for their game against the Ravens, reports Mickey Spagnola of DallasCowboys.com.

Well JJ says he'll play, so he's a go this weekend.

Don't expect much though.

Cowboys | Jones to Play in Week 11? - from www.KFFL.com

Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:06:02 -0800

Updating previous reports, Dallas Cowboys RB Julius Jones (shoulder) will play in Week 11, according to team owner Jerry Jones. Julius Jones was also on the team's charter to Baltimore, in preparation for their game against the Ravens, reports Mickey Spagnola of DallasCowboys.com.

Well JJ says he'll play, so he's a go this weekend.

Don't expect much though.

567757[/snapback]

Rotoworld is reporting the same thing. He won't start but he should get a handful of carries they said. First game back at Baltimore is a rough assignment, but it's a very good thing that he's finally getting back on the field.

• 3 weeks later...
I drafted him, dropped him when he got hurt, then picked him up a week before the Balt. game in both my leagues. He's a perfect addition for my playoff run!

I did the exact same thing. I picked him up im my auction and had to let him go when he got hurt. Snapped him up when you did. Sweet.