[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone else starting to get concerned

Skrappy1

First off, I'm not complaining of whining. Since Houston's bye he has been heavily involved in their offense again and has been a regular visitor to the endzone. He has been scoring me plenty of points in the league that I have him in, as it's a point per reception league.

With all that said, it is now week 11. He is averaging 3 yards a carry coming into tonight, and barely over that tonight against a pretty weak Green Bay rushing defense. More importantly, he now has 163 carries this season and his longest rush of the season is 12 yards!

Am I crazy to be a little concerned that he could start losing some carries if this keeps up?

I'm concerned about that, too. But, since he is scoring points for my bench right now...I haven't thought all that much about it.

Anybody know what the deal is? Is it him? His o-line? Predictable play calling - running into 8-man fronts on 1st and 10 every series?

a lot of it is due to Houston's offensive line.  They seem to have regressed this year.  Supposedly they are trying out a new zone blocking scheme, that is a work in progress.

569387[/snapback]

I remember reading something about that earlier this season, about how they were running some new zone blocking scheme or something, and how maybe his running style wasn't quite the right fit for the system. Again, as long as he's getting 25+ touches a game, no problem, I'm just worried that he might start losing some of those carries.

He's a slasher type of RB...those guys often have plenty of runs where they get stuffed for 2 yard gains like we've seen happen to Davis a ton this year. Problem is that they usually break off a few long runs here and there and that he hasn't done.

I looked at his game log from last season...he played in 14 games last year and in 12 of them had at least one run longer than his longest run of this entire season. That's a bit disturbing I think.

The GB run D WAS weak against the run..They've improved by leaps and bounds the past 4 weeks. After Chris Brown had a monster night against them on a Monday night, they've given up 72, 81, 66 and 33 yards. Dom seems to be running hard and looks pretty quick.

569393[/snapback]

Not coincidently, that was when Grady Jackson came from his injury.

i think the switch to the zone blocking scheme has been the problem, although maybe if the offensive line coaches would tell the linemen that the zone they need to block isnt in the offensive backfield, it would probably raise his ypc. seriously though, i dont see it as dom davis fault, i have watched houston several times and there just isnt anywhere to run......not to mention that half the time someone from the def is in the backfield waiting for him.

Actually, this new zone blocking scheme was supposed to suit Davis better than last year's scheme. He is supposed to be patient and pick a spot to run to, as opposed to hitting a spot, like off tackle. They said because of the fact he is a slasher, this scheme should be better for him. He started the season fine.... the first three games or so, then his production fell off, and I dont know why, unless his ankle is still affecting his play.

He started the season fine.... the first three games or so, then his production fell off, and I dont know why, unless his ankle is still affecting his play.

569689[/snapback]

Actually, the first game of the season he had a 4.1 avg. Since then he's never approached 4 yards a carry. Game 2 he 25 carries for only 78 yards (3.1) and game 3 he had 10 carries for 12 yards (1.2) against KC...I believe that was the game he hurt his ankle.

I would imagine with the workload he has been getting lately that his ankle is fine now though, yet he still has the lowest ypc avg among all NFL starting RBs, by a significant margin. Again, the thing that worries me the most is that he hasn't had a single run over 12 yards all season long. He takes plenty of losses, carries for no gain and 2 yard deals, and then when he "breaks" one, it's usually a 6 or 8 yard scramble. :D

Like I said, I'm plenty happy with his fantasy production, I just think there's reason to be concerned.

Edited by Skrappy1

H8tank is right. You are flying off the handle. :D

569794[/snapback]

:D

All I was saying was that your post about Davis was not accurate. He does NOT get 100 total yards every game. He's only done it 4 times. He does NOT "usually" score a TD. He's hasn't scored in 5 games. He has only missed one game due to injury.

Edited by CaptainHook

I don't think it is DD's fault..a few things have changed this year like the scheming you guys were talking about...also they are a more competitive team,and that has eliminated many 3rd and long runs he used to get..it also has eliminated many catches he used to get while they were trying to throw to catch up....as a team the Texans don't seem to block to the outside very well so they don't run him as much outside as you would think they would a slasher like DD,they seem to like better to run their WR's when they want to run outside ..think about it..how many times this year have you seen them hand the ball off to DD and for him to run straight into 1 of his own offensive linemans back..the line is not creating a whole lot for him and during the offseason they worked so hard on protecting Carr(who was getting sacked at amazing rates last year) that I truly believe they slipped on run blocking a bit..I myself do not think it is DD's fault..but I do believe he is not the kind of back they need to run the offense they are running..if they are gonna keep running inside I think they need to go to a more powerful back..and I think that Davis owners(which is me in 1 league) will see a decline in Davis's carries as this year goes on..if my trade deadline had not already passed he would be traded.

I don't know of any back that could have broke many runs behind that o-line last night. How many times did Dom have 2 defenders taking the handoff with him from Carr? Seemed like the penetration was immediate and Dom never had a chance. I could see Wells taking carries and Dom becoming the 3rd down guy. Lucky for Dom owners, Capers seems to not want to do that.

Watching that second half, Carr was running for his life, and it seemed like DD never gained more than 2 yds at a crack. The Texans NEED to draft some O lineman and a few D lineman, and they'll be the next team we think of when we need Fantasy points, after the Colts and Vikes, amongst others.......

if they are gonna keep running  inside I think they need to go to a more powerful back..and I think that Davis owners(which is me in 1 league) will see a decline in Davis's carries as this year goes on

569812[/snapback]

I think you're right, they did see to keep trying to pound Davis inside last night. They need to let him get to the outside and run. The decline in carries thing is what I'm fearing.

I could see Wells taking carries and Dom becoming the 3rd down guy. 

569847[/snapback]

That's basically what I'm worried about. Plus the fact that Capers is pretty high on Hollings, if he could ever get healthy he could be a threat as well. I think that his receiving skills are likely the only thing that's helping Davis maintain the job outright, but 3 yards a carry is Eddie George territory. :D

Barry Sanders, my favorite player of all time, was notorious for getting stuffed for losses behind Detroit's crappy O line. As a matter of fact, I believe that he has more plays for a loss of yardage then any player in NFL history. He'd sometimes get stuffed 3 or 4 times in a row, but then that 5th time, watch out...he'd take one to the house. That's what Dom has been missing. Despite all Barry's losses, he still managed a 5 yard per carry average for his career.

Edited by Skrappy1