[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Priest Holmes running style

phenom

People always say that you can put any RB behind the Chiefs O-line and they will produce top notch rushing numbers. Derrick Blaylock is showing that just having speed, quickness or stregnth aren't the only abilities of a good RB. Priest Holmes has great vision to read his blocks and the patience to let them develop.

You can't put any RB in the Chiefs system and expect the same numbers that Holmes has produced, as so many people have intimated...........

OK. How about any (or just about any) STARTING RB in that system. The last time I looked, Blaylock was not KC's answer. They drafted Larry Johnson, didn't they?

A stupid argument for a Holmes blower! Another one of those, "Madden said it so it has to be so!", arguments! :D

Sorry phenom, but I think you are reaching on this one! Oh yeh, and what Bill said! :D

There is a reason Trent Green is playing so great..and that is because they are stacking the line against the run...Holmes,BarrySanders or even O.J. (with his knife) would be getting shut down running against what Blaylock is tonight. I got a feeling that will change in the 2nd half as they cannot continue to let Trent Green eat them alive.

OK.  How about any (or just about any) STARTING RB in that system.  The last time I looked, Blaylock was not KC's answer.  They drafted Larry Johnson, didn't they?

A stupid argument for a Holmes blower!  Another one of those, "Madden said it so it has to be so!", arguments!  :D

Sorry phenom, but I think you are reaching on this one!  Oh yeh, and what Bill said!  B)

570883[/snapback]

Holmes started off as a backup for his first 3 years. Reuben Droughns is a backup RB and they say any RB can be effective in the Denver system. Weak argument.

I also said that Priest had the best vision of any RB currently in the league in the preseason. :D I just like that Madden pointed it out for the slow viewers out there.

And that pick that Green just threw is the reason you need to be able to run the ball in close and Holmes does it the best.

BTW doesn't every team throw run blitzes at the Chiefs?.............

Not every team has the luxury of stacking the line with Richard Seymour, Keith Traylor, Tedi Bruschi, Mike Vrabel, Willie McGinnist, and Roosevelt Colvin.

570924[/snapback]

What about a line of Ray Lewis, Ed Hartwell, Terrell Suggs, Peter Boulware and Kelly Gregg?

Priest ran over the Ravens for 125 yards and 2 TD's...............

I think if Priest was playing, he'd have more than 50 yds at the half...

Blaylock is lacking any kind of burst....Holmes runs with a vengeance...it's almost like he knows what he wants to do before the ball is hiked....

570948[/snapback]

Priest obviously has more burst than Blaylock, but the Pats are winning the battle at the line of scrimmage. Blaylock doesn't really have any gaps to burst through.

Green's on pace to have about 350 yds passing against the Pats (who almost never allow that much yardage through the air), which means that the Pats are playing man and stacking the line.

Priest obviously has more burst than Blaylock, but the Pats are winning the battle at the line of scrimmage.  Blaylock doesn't really have any gaps to burst through.

Green's on pace to have about 350 yds passing against the Pats (who almost never allow that much yardage through the air), which means that the Pats are playing man and stacking the line.

570953[/snapback]

Green has over 360 already....and Blaylock is rushing into the line before the lines even develop...

I mean, sometimes they just burst right through and tackle him....but as Madden said (I can't believe I'm quoting Madden)...he runs through the line before the holes develop...and he has nothing in front of him...

Were they run blitzing and playing a 5-2 as well?

570947[/snapback]

I don't think it matters. Baltimore doesn't have to run blitz.

But if you've been paying attention the Patriots haven't been run blitzing or running a 5-2 the whole game. They haven't had to run blitz because they aren't catching Blaylock in the backfield; they're just bringing him down after 1 or 2 yard gain. When you run blitz you want to meet the RB on their side of the line of scrimmage.

Avernus said it. Priest can read the defense and set up his blocks almost before the play even happens.............

I don't think it matters.  Baltimore doesn't have to run blitz.

But if you've been paying attention the Patriots haven't been run blitzing or running a 5-2 the whole game.  They haven't had to run blitz because they aren't catching Blaylock in the backfield; they're just bringing him down after 1 or 2 yard gain.  When you run blitz you want to meet the RB on their side of the line of scrimmage.

Avernus said it.  Priest can read the defense and set up his blocks almost before the play even happens.............

570962[/snapback]

Priest does have very good vision (better than Blaylock's anyway) and I'm sure that's a big part of it. Then again, nobody is going to be successful throughout an entire game trying to run stretch plays against a 5-2. And the Pats HAVE been playing 5-2s on most first- and second-down plays this evening.

Baltimore, however, doesn't have the luxury of stacking the line and challenging Green to throw downfield. If Green's successful, the Ravens don't have the quick-strike passing game to make up for it. However, as you just saw, the Pats are balanced enough that they can stack the line against the Chiefs.

Baltimore, however, doesn't have the luxury of stacking the line and challenging Green to throw downfield.  If Green's successful, the Ravens don't have the quick-strike passing game to make up for it.  However, as you just saw, the Pats are balanced enough that they can stack the line against the Chiefs.

570972[/snapback]

But Baltimore does have Ed Reed and Chris McAllister so they have a better secondary than NE. The Patriots are pulling Troy Brown into their secondary; both of their starting corners are hurt. Don't tell me the Pat's secondary is not a weakness that the Chiefs are exploiting. Bulger almost threw for 300 yards and Hasselbeck threw for 349 yards. The reason the Pats weakness in the secondary may not have been magnified is that they have gotten to play Miami, Jets and Buffalo twice. They don't exactly light it up passing the ball.............

But Baltimore does have Ed Reed and Chris McAllister so they have a better secondary than NE.  The Patriots are pulling Troy Brown into their secondary; both of their starting corners are hurt.  Don't tell me the Pat's secondary is not a weakness that the Chiefs are exploiting.  Bulger almost threw for 300 yards and Hasselbeck threw for 349 yards.  The reason the Pats weakness in the secondary may not have been magnified is that they have gotten to play Miami, Jets and Buffalo twice.  They don't exactly light it up passing the ball.............

570985[/snapback]

But Baltimore doesn't have a passing game. The Pats have a pretty good passing game. Once the Ravens fell behind the Chiefs, they were screwed. Therefore, their defense couldn't play as agressively. In contrast, the Pats have a pretty good balanced offense that can make up for a couple defensive mistakes.

The Chiefs certainly are exploiting the Pats' secondary, but the Pats are also an excellent red zone defense. In addition, they can shut down the run very well on short-yardage situations (remember Edge getting stuffed at the one-yard-line THREE times in one series last year?).

Edited by Bill Swerski

I was at the game.

Alligator arms, poor tackling and one ill-advised throw (the INT in the endzone) lost the game for the Chiefs.

572113[/snapback]

With this loss, do the Chiefs pack it in for the year? And do they not rush Priest back, knowing the season is lost anyway?

With this loss, do the Chiefs pack it in for the year?  And do they not rush Priest back, knowing the season is lost anyway?

572133[/snapback]

They will probably not hurry Priest's return, but they will definitely NOT pack it in. The Chargers go to Arrowhead this week, and I'm sure the Chiefs are licking their chops to bring down the high-flying Bolts!