[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So, when do we stop calling Pittman a fluke?

msaint

Yes, his real big games have been against KC and SF. Still, he looks fast, powerful, hitting holes, and gets red zone touches left and right. While Alstott took some carries, it was Pittman who got the TDs, and has been getting them in bunches. TB has @CAR, ATL, @SD, NO, CAR. That's two tough matchups, and three very easy ones, esp. in most FF semi-finals (NO) and finals (CAR).

Seems that most people always point to his lack of TDs in the past, but now that he's pounding them into the endzone along with his usual catches, do we finally stop calling this guy a "fluke" and dub him an every-week starter at #2 RB?

Alstott will score some touchdowns, yes. But I doubt he will steal too many. He has only gotten more than 5 Rushing TD's in a season once in the last 5 years and that was 3 years ago.

571254[/snapback]

Let's be fair here, the only time in the last 5 years that he got more than 5 TD's was the only time in the last 5 years he was healthy, and the only time he played 16 games. If Alstott is in the lineup, he is the goal line back. Pittman will not get goal line carries, and as a result, will lose TD's to Alstott.

If I had my druthers, I'd druther have Pittman as a flex-backup RB, not as a starter, as long as Alstott is around. One of the reasons for Pittman's improvement has to be because Griese is playing so well, and Clayton keeps the D honest. I don't think he will keep up his recent production, but I don't look for a big drop off either. If he finishes the year the way he has played for the last few weeks, then he might be a solid #2 RB for next year.

Let's be fair here, the only time in the last 5 years that he got more than 5 TD's was the only time in the last 5 years he was healthy, and the only time he played 16 games. If Alstott is in the lineup, he is the goal line back. Pittman will not get goal line carries, and as a result, will lose TD's to Alstott.

571289[/snapback]

I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was being unfair. I was simply stating my opinion and then giving my reasoning behind it.

And I did say he will get score some TD's. I just don't think it will be that many.

Hurt or otherwise the trend over the last few years has been 5 TD's or less on the season. Simply put I see that trend continuing. Not necessarily the hurt part, more so the TD's part.

I like Mike, he's a HOF Fullback but even early in his career when he was healthy and running over everybody he only went over 7 TD's in a season twice. And one of those he only got to 8. He has only reached double digits once and that was 3 years ago. For his career he has scored 48 TD's and he has played in 120 games. 120 games is the equivalent of 7.5 Seasons. 48 TD's in 7.5 seasons is an average of 6.4 TD's per season.

These are good numbers but 40 of those TD's came in his 1st 6 seasons. So it just doesn't seem likely that he will steal very many TD's now in his 9th season.

So like I said I think he will score TD's, he does every year. I just don't think it will be all that many. And a lot of teams have a 2nd RB that score 5 or 6 TD's. That will still leave Pittman his share.

Of course I could be wrong.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was being unfair. I was simply stating my opinion and then giving my reasoning behind it.

And I did say he will get score some TD's. I just don't think it will be that many.

Hurt or otherwise the trend over the last few years has been 5 TD's or less on the season. Simply put I see that trend continuing. Not necessarily the hurt part, more so the TD's part.

I like Mike, he's a HOF Fullback but even early in his career when he was healthy and running over everybody he only went over 7 TD's in a season twice. And one of those he only got to 8. He has only reached double digits once and that was 3 years ago. For his career he has scored 48 TD's and he has played in 120 games. 120 games is the equivalent of 7.5 Seasons. 48 TD's in 7.5 seasons is an average of 6.4 TD's per season.

These are good numbers but 40 of those TD's came in his 1st 6 seasons. So it just doesn't seem likely that he will steal very many TD's now in his 9th season.

So like I said I think he will score TD's, he does every year. I just don't think it will be all that many. And a lot of teams have a 2nd RB that score 5 or 6 TD's. That will still leave Pittman his share.

Of course I could be wrong.

571377[/snapback]

No need to get your panties in a bunch, I just wanted to make it clear that his TD production was low because he was injured. If he had played 16 games each of those 5 years and only scored more than 5 TD's once it would significantly change the point you were trying to make, dontcha think?

And I certainly could be wrong as well, and I certainly still think that Pittman will do well. However, I also believe that we have seen the last 1 yard Michael Pittman rushing TD of the season if Alstott doesn't get hurt again.

I guess time will tell, and it should be interesting, especially since Pittman is a very hard runner and can do well in goal line situations.

I drafted Pittman real late (15th round) so I'm not calling him a fluke. I think most people knew he had the potential. But between his 3 game suspension, the presence of Garner and Alstott, and the general crappy play of the Bucs during the first 5 games or so, no one really had any expectations.

However, give credit where credit is due. If Griese, Clayton, and the Bucs' DEF hadn't stepped up in recent weeks Pittman wouldn't be having this degree of success.

However, give credit where credit is due.  If Griese, Clayton, and the Bucs' DEF hadn't stepped up in recent weeks Pittman wouldn't be having this degree of success.

571412[/snapback]

Since we are giving credit where credit is due.... Props to Pittman for taking advantage of the situation created by Griese, Clayton, and the Buc's Def for stepping up in recent weeks. :D

Since we are giving credit where credit is due.... Props to Pittman for taking advantage of the situation created by Griese, Clayton, and the Buc's Def for stepping up in recent weeks.  :D

571427[/snapback]

Absolutely. Couldn't agree more.

While I deplore some of what Pittman has done off the field, he was patient on the field and has made the most of the opportunities he's been presented with. I'll say this much: with Henry doing nothing for me and Suggs not living up to my expectations, Pittman has really pulled my chestnuts out of the fire this season by supplying me with a solid #2 RB.

As always you make valid points Hugh.

And I agree it will be interesting to see how this plays out. But regardless I am impresses with Pittman's play so far this year.

As for the panties in a bunch thing, I kind of like...oh nevermind.

571436[/snapback]

We really need that :ctu: icon back.

Good stuff jrick35. :D

BTW, who dat in your avatar?

I've pretty much been calling Pittman, and everyone else in TB but Clayton, a fluke all year. That was unstil this weekend and I played against Pittman and Griese. Needless to say I got my a** handed to me. I am a believer. The Bucs could do some real damage the remainder of the season and I think they will back their way into the playoffs consdering the NFC has few strong teams.

i think all you naysayers are crazy. pittmans numbers if tablulated out over the whole season would have him ranked inside the top 10. thats one hell of a second rb and not too shabby of a number 1. forget alstott, clayton, griese etc.....pittman is good all on his own. this coming from someone who watches the bucs week in and week out.

i think all you naysayers are crazy.  pittmans numbers if tablulated out over the whole season would have him ranked inside the top 10.  thats one hell of a second rb and not too shabby of a number 1.  forget alstott, clayton, griese etc.....pittman is good all on his own.  this coming from someone who watches the bucs week in and week out.

571628[/snapback]

Is this the same ueber-stud that rushed for a whopping 751 yards and 0 TD's last year?

actually, it isn't the same pittman. this is from bucaneers website. its quite clear gruden really likes him and will utilize him alot. he lines up as a slot wr alot, he blocks well, and when needed, grind out tough yardage. i'm not putting him on a pedestal, but i think he is underrated at this point. anyway, heres the article.

Running Hot

RB Michael Pittman has seven touchdowns in seven games this season

Nov 23, 2004 - The Tampa Bay Buccaneers were happy, to be sure, when Michael Pittman returned in Week Four after serving a three-game suspension, if for no other reason than they had just lost starting back Charlie Garner for the season in Game Three. Still, the Bucs probably didn’t expect Pittman to have 565 rushing yards, 711 combined yards and seven touchdowns just seven games later.

Pittman’s entire 2004 season has been about exceeding expectations.

The Buccaneers haven’t had a particularly strong rushing attack since the 2000 season, and they haven’t had a 1,000-yard rusher since Warrick Dunn got into four digits that year. Even though he missed those first three games, Pittman is on pace for 1,049 yards, if one divides his rushing total by his seven games played and projects them over a 13-game season.

By rushing for over 100 yards in three of the Bucs’ last four games, Pittman also matched a feat not accomplished since Dunn’s strong 2000 season. Dunn got over the century mark in three games over a four-week span in late November and December 2000 en route to 1,133 yards.

Again, this isn’t exactly what the Buccaneers were expecting from Pittman when the season began. With Garner on board, Head Coach Jon Gruden thought he could use the two tailbacks in the backfield together, with either one a threat to either shift to a receiving slot or go out into a pass pattern from the backfield. Even as the primary starter for all of 2002 and about 75% of 2003, had back-to-back 700-yard seasons, but he caught 59 passes in ’02 and 75 last year. It was clear what Pittman’s strength was in the Buccaneers’ offense.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

"He’s rushing for big yards right now and he’s making some tough first downs for us. He’s a good football player and hopefully the best is yet to come."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now it’s not quite as clear, and that’s a pleasant surprise. Pittman didn’t officially catch a pass in Sunday’s blowout win over San Francisco (he had one reception erased by a penalty) but he ran 21 times for 106 yards and two touchdowns. Virtually all of the Bucs’ opening-day offensive plans have been altered during a season racked by injuries and other developments, and only through unexpected contributions from players like Pittman, quarterback Brian Griese and wide receiver Michael Clayton have the Bucs stayed afloat.

“We expected [Keenan] McCardell to be a big part of our attack and we expected Garner and Pittman to share the ball a little bit,” said Gruden. “But a lot has changed since opening day.”

Perhaps even the league-wide book on Pittman, who runs with a churning style but has shown the speed to both get around the corner and run past defenders in the second level of the defense. If he does get to 1,000 yards, it will be his first such season. It will probably also mean that the Bucs’ resurgent offense stays strong down the stretch; this newfound running success is helping Griese and the passing attack, and vice versa. In addition, Pittman is moving the chains with a lot of five and 10-yard runs, and that sustains drives and allows more players to eventually become involved.

For instance, the Bucs might have been thinking about sitting on a 14-0 halftime lead when they handed the ball to Pittman on second-and-10 from their own 33 with 44 seconds to play in the second quarter Sunday. However, when Pittman bashed over right tackle for eight yards, Griese called a timeout, converted the third-and-two and threw a 42-yard touchdown pass to Joe Jurevicius seconds later.

“He’s rushing for big yards right now and he’s making some tough first downs for us,” said Gruden. “He’s a good football player and hopefully the best is yet to come.”

There is reason to believe that Pittman can at least maintain his current success. An unintended but nevertheless welcome side effect of his suspension is that he’s a bit fresher now than many running backs around the league. He is, as always, in phenomenal shape, and he’s only missed one game due to injury in the last four seasons. And the Buccaneers’ offensive line, another work in progress seems to be jelling late in the season, much as it did in 2002.

“The whole offensive line did an excellent job,” said Pittman after Sunday’s game. “We accomplished what we wanted to do, and that was run the ball, sustain drives, and just move the ball. I think that we did that. The offensive line blocked great.”

In addition, Pittman is making himself a more valuable part of the offense every week. He can stay on the field for virtually every down, thanks to his pass-catching skills, and he’s proving to be an asset even when he’s not taking a handoff or going out into a route.

“I can’t say enough about him,” said Gruden. ”He had an unbelievable block. We actually had a protection breakdown on a big third down conversion to Clayton. He blocked [John] Engelberger, who’s a very good defensive end, by himself. This is one great pass-protecting back.”

Gruden has praised Pittman before, of course, often calling him a great pass-catching back. The way his 2004 season is going, however, Pittman might soon just be called a great back. Period.

Is this the same ueber-stud that rushed for a whopping 751 yards and 0 TD's last year?

571780[/snapback]

I ended up having to use Pittman as my No 2 last year and his stats were a bit deceiving. He was splitting carries with T Jones through first 4 games, and mostly being used as 3rd down back. Once Jones went into Gruden's dog house and Alstott went down, Pittman was being used and abused as everydown back. From what I recall from last year, Pittman was getting very worked over due to the pass protection and just flat out wore down around game 12 or 13, then Jones came back and took over after Pitt's injury. So, his seasonal stats probably only reflect some 8 or 9 full games. The TD thing could be an issue, just have to wait and see what comes. As long as Pittman doesn't ware down or start to fumble around the goal line, Gruden may continue to run him behind Alstott. It seemed to work well last week, even though it was agianst the 9er's.

571780[/snapback]

751 yards while splitting time with Alstott, T.Jones and Stecker at different points in the season, yes. I think we're seeing now what he can do when asked to carry the full load.