[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Randy Moss Update Thread

Avernus

Moss looks "extremely good" Updated 11/23/04

Moss, Randy WR MIN

News: The Minneapolis Star Tribune reports Randy Moss looked "extremely good" during a set of drills Monday designed to test his injured hamstring. 

Analysis: The Vikings still plan to list Moss as doubtful, but it appears he has a better chance to be active in Week 12. 

I don't know the local paper website...but sportsline has this so far...

feel free to add your update..

Moss expected to play vs. Jaguars

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune

November 23, 2004 VIKE1123

Page: 1 2

A throng of Vikings coaches, medical personnel and other observers crowded into the team's indoor training facility Monday morning. Their collective gaze fell on the team's franchise player, the primary participant in a rigorous workout designed to test his limits.

Thirty-six days after partially tearing his right hamstring, receiver Randy Moss looked "extremely good" during the series of drills, coach Mike Tice said. Barring a setback today, Moss will see action in about 25 plays -- mostly in three-receiver sets -- Sunday against Jacksonville.

Productive but less explosive in Moss' absence, the Vikings offense will welcome his return. "He makes a huge difference," offensive coordinator Scott Linehan said Monday with a smile creasing his face.

While the Vikings plan to string out the intrigue as long as possible, listing him as doubtful on their injury report, it appears that the only way he will miss the game is if the muscle swells unexpectedly today.

The Vikings averaged 30 points a game when Moss played this season.Jim GehrzStar Tribune"He did a lot [Monday], and the key is to see how he is [today] because we pushed it pretty good," Tice said. "The strength in there is excellent. I think endurance is the key."

Moss attempted to come back in a restricted role for the Oct. 31 game against the New York Giants, but his hamstring tightened in the second quarter and limited him to nine plays. That disappointing outing finally persuaded Moss to shut down the leg entirely, and he spent 19 days resting and rehabilitating before setting foot back on the field.

That appearance came last Friday, when he caught a 50-yard touchdown pass while working with the Vikings' scout team. He sat out Sunday's 22-19 victory against Detroit, but on Monday morning he was back at Winter Park under the careful watch of athletic trainer Chuck Barta.

He put Moss through two critical drills to determine how much the leg has healed. The first was similar to a triple-jump, where Moss was instructed to jump off each leg. To pass the test, the distance differential between his left-leg jump and right-leg jump could be no greater than 1 yard.

Anything longer would have signified that he had not gained enough strength in his right leg to play in a game.

"But since he's the Super Freak," Tice said, "he jumped further on his injured leg than he did on his healthy one. That told you something right there."

The other test was a series of three 40-yard dashes, which the Vikings used to simulate repetitive motion.

"We'll see how he comes out of that," Tice said. "If he's fine, he's playing. If he swells up, he's not playing, and that'll be that. We'll have him for Chicago [on Dec. 5 at Soldier Field]."

Moss' absence has been noticeable on the field, in the won-loss column and in the statistical figures. The Vikings have lost three of their five games since the injury, while they scored an average of eight fewer points and gained a total of about 144 fewer offensive yards per game.

With Moss playing in their first five games, the Vikings averaged 30 points and 476.6 yards per game. Since the injury, they have averaged 22.8 points and 332.8 yards per game.

Still, those post-injury numbers are healthy, if lower, leading the Vikings to believe Moss' absence forced the offense to develop new ways of scoring and controlling the ball.

"I think we've proved we can be in any game in any environment [without Moss]," Linehan said. "There are not too many places tougher to play than Indianapolis and Green Bay, and we took those two games to the wire -- without our best player, so to speak. I think that created some confidence, that even in losses, that we could do it."

That confidence helped Sunday, when the Vikings entered their halftime locker room down 17-7 to the Lions.

"There wasn't a player that had any doubt in his mind that we could go out and put a charge on," Linehan said, "because we had done it the past two weeks. ... Nobody's body language said, 'Here we go, another New York Giant game [the Vikings lost to the Giants 34-13].' Then we came out and won it. ... I think that's the biggest thing that's come out of the Randy thing."

He put Moss through two critical drills to determine how much the leg has healed. The first was similar to a triple-jump, where Moss was instructed to jump off each leg. To pass the test, the distance differential between his left-leg jump and right-leg jump could be no greater than 1 yard.

Anything longer would have signified that he had not gained enough strength in his right leg to play in a game.

"But since he's the Super Freak," Tice said, "he jumped further on his injured leg than he did on his healthy one. That told you something right there."

amazing...simply amazing..

This is from the Minny Star Tribune today:

Moss 'superb'

The Vikings put receiver Randy Moss through a rigorous 26-minute workout Tuesday, after which coach Mike Tice declared Moss was in "superb" condition. There were no indications of swelling in Moss' strained right hamstring, even after a workout that included 23 consecutive minutes of running pass routes with 25 seconds of rest in between each play.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/5102369.html

This came after a heavy workout on Monday, so apparently there was no swelling... I guess that's a good sign.

I may have no choice but to start him and hope for the best. I'm about to play one of the highest scoring teams in our league, and I'll need every break to win. I'm gonna wait for more practice reports as the week progresses, but right now I'm leaning towards rolling the dice. My other options are not great anyways.

its funny how every conversation about the health of moss or just about the vikings in general  always seems to end with one common denominator"Mike Tice is an Idiot" just to add i 'm starting r.moss, his maybe 25 plays provide more chances than any 100 plays santana moss is in.

573274[/snapback]

from what I saw last night, I don't see how he doesn't play the whole game...and do a backflip after each TD...

I am urging people...far and wide....

:D START R MOSS IF YOU HAVE HIM!!...

g'day...

from what I saw last night, I don't see how he doesn't play the whole game...and do a backflip after each TD...

I am urging people...far and wide....

:D START R MOSS IF YOU HAVE HIM!!...

g'day...

573330[/snapback]

I am going to remember this post Avernus.... keep it in mind when I come back after the game and have some things to say to you when he only plays 2 downs and then gets into civvies. :D :oldrazz:

see people...it's not that hard..

573348[/snapback]

Me 2 ....75% Moss is better than most WRs out there anyways. I don't think ( crossing fingers ) that they are just using him as a decoy. 25 - 30 plays is enough for me to start him . he's bound to score a TD .

I am going to remember this post Avernus.... keep it in mind when I come back after the game and have some things to say to you when he only plays 2 downs and then gets into civvies. :D :oldrazz:

573368[/snapback]

lol...I will personally bump it before the games...at halftime and after the games...

and the thing is...the question isn't whether he'll perform...it's whether he'll play the whole game...

and I'm saying yes....even Moss has games where he gets like 30 yds and a TD....but he doesn't take himself out of the game early due to injury...

I know what I've seen...and it was enough for me...

Tice has burned me twice this year with Moss' status. I just don't feel confident starting him when he's listed as doubtful. I have seen players start and have great games when listed as doubtful (DJax not too long ago), but after the first two weeks of the "no decoy" routine from Tice, I just can't start him. I hope you're right, and he has a huge game. That way, I can start him with confidence next week. Fortunately, I have another option for this week.

Tice has burned me twice this year with Moss' status.  I just don't feel confident starting him when he's listed as doubtful.  I have seen players start and have great games when listed as doubtful (DJax not too long ago), but after the first two weeks of the "no decoy" routine from Tice, I just can't start him.  I hope you're right, and he has a huge game.  That way, I can start him with confidence next week.  Fortunately, I have another option for this week.

573437[/snapback]

I'm telling you...from what I saw last night...he ran better than he did at any point in those games he played hurt...

he ran like it was training camp..