[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Indy at Detroit

Roller Coasters

What Ron Artest did was inexcusable, of that there can be no doubt. And he has been punished. I'm not sure how I feel about the terms of the punishment but I do know how I feel about the incident overall. And I have a few questions.

Why is it ok that someone threw a beer on him?

I know that even after having the beer thrown on him Artest NEVER should have gone after him. But the fan deserves a punishment of some kind.

When a fan throws anything at a player they should be punished in some form. I suppose about the only way is to file criminal charges and have them fined by the civil authorities.

Why was the other fan coming out onto the court?

Fans coming onto a playing field or court can never be condoned. Just ask Monica Seles and the ref and 1st base coach in those baseball games what can happen when a fan enters the playing field.

As wrong as the players were, and they were WRONG, it is unfair and we are ignoring the trigger of these events, when we do not prosecute a punishment onto the fans who were out of order.

Edited by Jrick35

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

THere's also this element: Artest grabbed the wrong guy, and the fans converged on him in large part to save that innocent guy's butt. Now, one of those guys was the actual 'perp' but those who stepped up to seperate Artest from the wrong guy cannot be blamed for that.

Chair throwing, going onto the court and throwing punches, no excuse.

THere's also this element: Artest grabbed the wrong guy, and the fans converged on him in large part to save that innocent guy's butt. Now, one of those guys was the actual 'perp' but those who stepped up to seperate Artest from the wrong guy cannot be blamed for that. 

573477[/snapback]

Artest never would've gone into the crowd if someone hadn't thrown a cup full of ice into his face. And none of this would've happened in the first place had Ben Wallace not incited the fans by attacking Artest on the court. How many games was he suspended for? Six? What a bunch of bull$hit. He should be out for at least as long as O'Neil.

Ben Wallace started the fight on the court and a Pistons fan threw a cup of ice in Artest's face.  So saying that Artest "single-handedly incited a riot" is flat-out wrong.  Detroit's idiot fans are as much to blame, if not more, than Artest.

I don't condone what Artest did, but still believe that the suspensions are too stiff (given that the players and organizations are also subject to criminal charges).  I think that they should all be cut in half.  However, I do understand that the length of Artest's suspension had a lot to do with his past actions.  That said, I think a half-season suspension without pay would've been more appropriate.

Right, the POOR FANS are afraid.  :violin:  :D  If they wouldn't throw things at the players or run onto the court, they'd have nothing to be afraid of.  The Detroit fans just took the "Obnoxious A$$holes" title away from Philly.

But, hey, they got what they wanted in the end!  If the suspensions are upheld, the Pacers will no longer be conterders in the East.

572953[/snapback]

He's a paid NBA professional, and he charged into the crowd and assualted a fan. And not the fan that threw the cup. He did not have to do that.

You can be an apologist if you want. The fan that threw the cup should be arrested and prosecuted for assault. He would have been regardless of what Artest did. There is no excuse for the player's conduct. It is the arena security team's responsibility to deal with the fan.

About the"poor fans" as you call them. It was a very small percentage of fans that participated. If you were there with a small child and anywhere near the melee, wouldn't you have been afraid for the child? But...yes, Detroit fans as a group have received the obnoxious idiot moniker. I just hope that the local authorities do bring out the brass tomorrow. Cops on horseback make for good crowd control!

Artest never would've gone into the crowd if someone hadn't thrown a cup full of ice into his face.  And none of this would've happened in the first place had Ben Wallace not incited the fans by attacking Artest on the court.  How many games was he suspended for?  Six?  What a bunch of bull$hit.  He should be out for at least as long as O'Neil.

573489[/snapback]

I agree that the fine for Wallace is unreasonable in comparison. He should be help responsible as a contributing factor to fans throwing objects.

Posted 11/24/04 05:45pm

What Ron Artest did was inexcusable, of that there can be no doubt. And he has been punished. I'm not sure how I feel about the terms of the punishment but I do know how I feel about the incident overall. And I have a few questions.

Why is it ok that someone threw a beer on him?

I know that even after having the beer thrown on him Artest NEVER should have gone after him. But the fan deserves a punishment of some kind.

When a fan throws anything at a player they should be punished in some form. I suppose about the only way is to file criminal charges and have them fined by the civil authorities.

Why was the other fan coming out onto the court?

Fans coming onto a playing field or court can never be condoned. Just ask Monica Seles and the ref and 1st base coach in those baseball games what can happen when a fan enters the playing field.

As wrong as the players were, and they were WRONG, it is unfair and we are ignoring the trigger of these events, when we do not prosecute a punishment onto the fans who were out of order.

I'm right there with ya Jrick. I wish I had more time to address this issue, but I'm off to work(2nd shift).

But my quick reply woud be to say anytime a fan, or fans, throw things onto a court/playing field/arena, the game should be stopped and that fan be put in cuffs and dragged out of the stands. If you can't pinpoint the one who threw it, empty the section (I'm sure if this happens once, the crowd would point out the offending person). If that does'nt stop things like this from happening empty the stands. Or force the home team to play the next three home games in an empty arena.

I don't understand why some people think it's ok to assult pro. sports players.

But my quick reply woud be to say anytime a fan, or fans, throw things onto a court/playing field/arena, the game should be stopped and that fan be put in cuffs and dragged out of the stands. If you can't pinpoint the one who threw it, empty the section (I'm sure if this happens once, the crowd would point out the offending person). If that does'nt stop things like this from happening empty the stands. Or force the home team to play the next three home games in an empty arena.

573517[/snapback]

:D

I wholeheartedly agree!!

You and I both know that is not what happened.

573546[/snapback]

OK - I'll play your semantics game and rephrase: anytime you go into the stands and start randomly shoving people's head into armrests you should expect it. Better? :D:D

Again, it's funny how only people from Indy think the punishment is too harsh. And blaming Wallace for another adult's action is a stretch at best.

You can be an apologist if you want.

573498[/snapback]

I don't see how I'm an Artest "apologist." Read it again, chowderhead...

I don't condone what Artest did, but still believe that the suspensions are too stiff (given that the players and organizations are also subject to criminal charges).  I think that they should all be cut in half.  However, I do understand that the length of Artest's suspension had a lot to do with his past actions.  That said, I think a half-season suspension without pay would've been more appropriate.

I don't understand why some people think it's ok to assult pro. sports players.

573517[/snapback]

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's little pu$$ies who believe that they're Hulk Hogan after having a few beers. Of course, none of these drunken idiots stand a chance against seven-foot-tall men who work out for a living. After provoking a fight with a physically-superior man and getting beat down, they then turn around and sue the athlete. That's not how a REAL man acts.

I wish that Artest would've grabbed the person who threw the cup in his face and beat the living crap out of him. I'm sure that he still would've been suspended, but justice would've been served, IMO.

I don't see how I'm an Artest "apologist."  Read it again, chowderhead...

573665[/snapback]

Okay...

Ben Wallace started the fight on the court and a Pistons fan threw a cup of ice in Artest's face.  So saying that Artest "single-handedly incited a riot" is flat-out wrong.  Detroit's idiot fans are as much to blame, if not more, than Artest.

572953[/snapback]

:D You forgot this part. That sounds like you being a bit of an apologist to me. I'd call you a name back, but I don't know the Indy equivalent of "chowderhead" :D

Look, the situation is simple to me. There were many things that happened that contributed to the chaos. The one thing that turned the situation into a brawl, however, was Artest jumping into the crowd and assaulting a fan.

Let me put it another way...

If your company had a customer appreciation day event, and somewhere during that day you went off and beat the crap out of a bunch of the customers, would you expect to have a job the next day?

There's no excuse for a fan throwing something. There is no excuse for Artest's conduct. That means that a fan throwing something is not an excuse to me. I know many people that think Artest should never be allowed to play another NBA game. I don't agree with them, but I can understand why they feel that way. I have no problem with the level of disciplinary action taken.

Okay...

:D  You forgot this part.  That sounds like you being a bit of an apologist to me.  I'd call you a name back, but I don't know the Indy equivalent of "chowderhead"  :D

573736[/snapback]

I think that "dumb hick" is the most typical one. B)

Look, the situation is simple to me.  There were many things that happened that contributed to the chaos.  The one thing that turned the situation into a brawl, however, was Artest jumping into the crowd and assaulting a fan.

You forgot about Ben Wallace causing the brawl on the court beforehand. Wallace's actions lead to the cup throwing.

If your company had a customer appreciation day event, and somewhere during that day you went off and beat the crap out of a bunch of the customers, would you expect to have a job the next day?

If the customer assaulted me, I would be justified in defending myself.

Artest attacked the wrong guy and, IMO, that was his biggest mistake. If he had gone after the moron that assaulted him, I WOULD be an Artest "apologist," as you put it. However, that's not what happened. FWIW, I think that Artest deserves a half-season suspension without pay.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Again, it's funny how only people from Indy think the punishment is too harsh. And blaming Wallace for another adult's action is a stretch at best.

573553[/snapback]

There have been several people who have posted in this thread who said they thought the punishments were too harsh. They aren't from Indiana. Go ahead and "rephrase" again.

Plus, the guy who starts punching Artest does so when Artest has already been restrained. There is no way you can say he was "defending" anyone. That is a joke.

Edited by CaptainHook

isn't there a n.b.a. forum for this you guys would have more fun at??

i like detroits chances in this game.  aren't the colts coming off a string of games in a short period?  they didn't let down last week against the bears so maybe it catches up with them.  the line has moved from 8 to 9.

573903[/snapback]

This was a football thread until it got hijacked. :D

Look guys, any player that went into the stands should of been suspended for a year, period. They were acting like a bunch of thugs.

If the cameras reveal any misbehavior by any fan they should be charged with a crime. Period.

As for the fans being jerks, guess what, they are. Pick a sport, the jerks are there, throwing trash, cussing out the players, and trying their hardest to rattle and irritate the players. But usually irritating the hell out of the people who came to see the game.

But that doesn't give the players the right to climb in the stands and attack them. They are pros, they should act like it.

If it were me, ever damm one of them would spend the rest of there careers playing ball overseas. Lifetime ban.

Bye the way, nice Lion/Colt thread. And go Clippers.....

Edited by JoJoTheWebToedBoy

isn't there a n.b.a. forum for this you guys would have more fun at??

i like detroits chances in this game.  aren't the colts coming off a string of games in a short period?  they didn't let down last week against the bears so maybe it catches up with them.  the line has moved from 8 to 9.

573903[/snapback]

Detroit will hang about as close as Chicago did last week. There's noway they can stop Indy, there's also noway Detroit can score consistantly. Starters only played about 3 quarters last week, from what I've heard they feel very good & ready to impress on Thanksgiving.

Lay the points & have a very HAPPY Thanksgiving! :D

Bill Swerski and Capt. You two are the definition of HOMERS! You are defending a guy who charged into the stands and started swinging at inocent people. Are you kidding me? If you ask me he got off easy. Wallace didn't get as many games or even close because he kept it on the court. Keep to defending your boy Peyton, cuz you know once he faces the Pats againg you'll have nothing but egg on your face! Good luck getting there. :D

You are defending a guy who charged into the stands and started swinging at inocent people.

574721[/snapback]

Wrong. Artest didn't swing at a single innocent person.

You would be correct saying he shouldn't have went into the stands, but, it appears you haven't seen the tape or are just clueless.

I agree with you Capt'n.  About half of what they got sounds fair to me.  But that seems to be the minority opinion, at least outside of Indiana

572636[/snapback]

When I see the fans get similar punishment and teams that place rowdy fans behind opponents sidelines I agree. A lot of changes need to be made on both sides. Stern had to take a stand, but it was harsh.

Bill Swerski and Capt. You two are the definition of HOMERS! You are defending a guy who charged into the stands and started swinging at inocent people. Are you kidding me? If you ask me he got off easy. Wallace didn't get as many games or even close because he kept it on the court. Keep to defending your boy Peyton, cuz you know once he faces the Pats againg you'll have nothing but egg on your face! Good luck getting there.  :D

574721[/snapback]

Dear Chowderhead,

(1) Artest didn't "swing at innocent people." Watch the tape again.

(2) Championships are won by teams, not individuals. That said, individual players don't get any better than Peyton Manning. Had he played with a couple Patriots-quality defenses over the years, he would be sporting a couple of SB rings right now.

I look forward to the day that DMD and WW move the boards back to "members only" and I don't have to hear from trash like you again.

Try not to get into a car wreck on the Post Road today, Ma$$hole.

Love,

Swerski

Bill Swerski and Capt. You two are the definition of HOMERS! You are defending a guy who charged into the stands and started swinging at inocent people. Are you kidding me? If you ask me he got off easy. Wallace didn't get as many games or even close because he kept it on the court. Keep to defending your boy Peyton, cuz you know once he faces the Pats againg you'll have nothing but egg on your face! Good luck getting there.  B)

574721[/snapback]

Ooohh

Bill :D Finger

Captain :D Finger