[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Are the Seattle Supersonics for Real?

bushwacked

I'm seeing a team full of athletes making plays, one of the best shootng teams in recent NBA history, and phsyical post players getting boards, playing defense, and carrying a tire iron.

Maybe I'm too optimistic?

572577[/snapback]

I don't think so, if I recall correctly they were hot early last year, especially Rashard Lewis. I think once the defense tightens a bit then the jumpers won't fall as easy.

If they keep getting monster physical play from Fortson... they may make a run @ a playoff birth. He's the inside resense that they've depserately needed over the past few years. Lewis is 6'-11" but he drops anchor @ the 3-point line and is a little Rosie O'Donnell in the paint.

I'll tell you who IS the real deal & that's Ray Allen. Finally healthy from the ankle problems that have hampered him the past 18 months...... the guy is a flat out sharpshooter.

Ridnour & Daniels have been a great combo @ the point with assist/TO ratios as low as anyone in the league.

They're a fun team to watch...... 4-1 on this present road trip & just took the lead over Memphis as I write this. :D

Time will tell if they can last a whole season..... but they're off to a helluva start.

EDITED to ADD - they just polished off Memphis to move to 5-1 on the road trip and 11-2 overall. :D

Edited by Down Goes Frazia

• 2 weeks later...

Hot ***!

They beat the Spurs and Mavs back-to-back in Texas baby!

Beginning of the year, and especially after the first game vs. the Clippers where they lost by 30, I was convinced this was going to be the worst team in the Western Conference. No post presence, too many shooters, no point guard......

Fortsen is an amazing player right now. He's controlling the inside vs. everyone they play. Jerome James, Reggie Evans, Nick Collison are giving fantastic minutes. The shooters are hitting at an unbelievable clip, Allen is amazing, Vlad Radmonovic and Lewis are superb, Antonio Daniels has stepped up big time. Luke Ridnour is the key (with Fortsen), he's lightning quick and makes great decisions.

Makes me almost forget about GP.

And definitely about the Seahawks!

Makes me almost forget about GP.

602667[/snapback]

speaking of........ Sat. night @ the key... GP & the Celts hit the floor. Should be fun to watch.

As for the Supes..... I had reservations @ the beginning of the year.... but not now. 17-3 with an 8-2 road record is not a joke. they're certainly gonna slow down.... but with road wins in Utah, Minnesota, San Antonio & Dallas they're proving they can beat anyone.

They were talking about on Around the Horn, there's no way they are shooting these lucky 3's come playoff time.

602705[/snapback]

To me that sounds like these guys haven't been watching them play. Sure the threes might stop falling in some games. They already have in a couple. Their post offense is not great but adequate.

These guys are playing probably the most physical/harassing defense in the NBA right now. The are 4th in rebounding.

Defense and rebounding should still be there no matter how much your struggling on the offensive end.

They were talking about on Around the Horn, there's no way they are shooting these lucky 3's come playoff time.

602705[/snapback]

“That’s a versatile team over there,” said Lakers coach Rudy Tomjanovich. “They’ve got role players. They’ve got shooters. And get somebody as huge as Rashard and Ray, that’s gonna carry you. They play free and easy.”

"Well, they got the win," kobe Bryant said afterward. "They are so explosive."

"I told (Sonics coach) Nate (McMillan) before the game, 'I know how to stop them: Get six guys on the court,' " Lakers coach Rudy Tomjanovich said.

Well, maybe they will have enough lucky defense, enough lucky rebounding, and enough lucky athletes to make a dent in they playoffs.

Listening to Around the Horn for an educated point of view in the sports world is like watching soaps to get an accurate picture of American culture. :D

• 3 weeks later...
Yep.

643098[/snapback]

So now than can win? I'm confused or you've changed your mind.

Edit to add: They have more than three shooters and against Miami Fortson had 15 points and 10 rebounds while "holding" Shaq to 25 and 14.

BTW, thanks for trading us Fortson, how is Calvin Booth working out for you guys?

Edited by bushwacked