[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

COLTS Defense ranked 18th Overall in NFL!

Jrick35

I just read this Article by Troy Aikman at NFL.com, here's the link, http://www.nfl.com/news/story/7920779

I'm sure a lot of you on here are already very much aware of this but this is the first I had heard of it so I thought I would share it for those who had not.

Currently the NFL Defensive Rankings is based solely on yards allowed. Aparrently Troy Aikman feels there is more to consider than just yards allowed. Using this thought process he has devised his own rating system. The article I have provided the link to above explains his process and it is amazingly well though out for a guy who has had as many concussions as Troy has had.

Apparrently even some coaches prefer his process over the NFL's. Maybe this is a precursor to something the NFL may move towards.

This next link is to his actual ratings.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/7921919

Check it out. I found his rankings to be more reflective of the actual abilities of each teams Offensive & Defensive Units than you can determine by measuring them in yards gained or allowed alone.

The Colts are an ideal example. They are ranked near the bottom pf the NFL's Defenses in terms of yards allowed. This makes everyone think that their defense is the worst in the league. But when your offense goes out to a 2 or 3 TD lead in nearly every game then the other team is going to be going vertical all day. So in yards allowed they have their backs against the wall every week.

But in the other categories that Troy uses they do better. They do well enough to move up to 18th overall. Which makes them a middle of the pack defense that needs improvement and as we all know, that is pretty much the type of defense they are right now. But they are also not the worst unit in the league. Which anyone who watches them play every week, also knows. So take a look at the article and the rankings I think you will agree this is a valid rating system.

Yeah! But you didn't mention they've also played KC, Green Bay, Minnesota, and New England. Some of the top offenses in the league. But I'm sure you can go through everbody's schedule and pick out three "bad" teams. Good analysis.

Edited by CaptainHook

Yeah!  But you didn't mention they've also played KC, Green Bay, Minnesota, and New England.  Some of the top offenses in the league.  But I'm sure you can go through everbody's schedule and pick out three bad teams.  Good analysis.

573307[/snapback]

The only reason they are getting noticed is due to the bad teams they have played back to back.

Nice D against Oakland, Houston, and Chicago. :D

573296[/snapback]

They also played pretty good D against Jax & Tenn, a$$ munch!!

I didn't post this topic to start a debate about the Colts. I thought I had found a thought provoking alternative to the NFL's established process of ranking the teams Offensive & Defensive Units. I simply used the COlts D to illustrate my point.

Although based on your typically pointless replies, I'm not surprised that you missed my point.

I am also completely surprised that you gave the Colts D your main attention in reply to this post.

You missed the perfect opportunity to gloat about the Pats D being ranked 2nd only to Baltimore, according to Troy.

Especially since, using the NFL's system, they are ranked 14th Overall. A ranking that I feel is ridiculously low for that unit.

I should have used a different team as an example.

I wasn't trying to incite, yet another, Colts debate. I was trying to point out what I think may be a better way to evaluate a teams abilities. But...

since the thread is going there anyway, I AM thinking this might be the year for the Colts.

Even some analysts on NFL.com are starting to notice the improvement in the Colts defense. And Lord knows there's not too much they could be doing better on Offense.

So maybe if Bob Sanders can get back on the field, and maybe if the defense can continue to jell, and maybe if Manning can continue to throw better than 3 TD's per game, and maybe if Edge can stay on his current pace of 1700 yds and 10 TD's, and maybe if Stokley, Harrison and Wayne can stay on pace for 1000 yds and maybe 10 TD's a piece, then maybe, just maybe, this could be the Colts year.

Imagine that. The Colts could have 3 WR's and a Rb with 10 TD's each by the end of the year. WOW!

But isn't interesting that Aikman has invented his own Ranking system that might better reflect a Teams performance?