[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For those of you who think Madden sweats Favre's..

Fatman

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1930076

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...rend/2004week12

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...greg&id=1930089

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1930185

In commemoration of his 200th straight start, apparently. They also rated him as the fourth best QB of all time.

Gotta say, I'm inclined to agree with them...completely objectively, of course.

GO PACK

Madden is not a bafoon. He has an incredible amount of football knowledge, and makes it really simple and fun for the audience, while still remaining correct in his analysis. Len Pasquerelli was on local radio this morning, and geez talk about a guy on Favre's jock!! He apologized for selecting Favre as the 4th guy on his list, hinting that at worst Favre should be #2.

I agree. He's gotta be #1. I don't remember Unitas but nobody from the past 20 years comes close. The thing about Favre, which I firmly believe is the single most important thing in rating a quarterback, is....how in the heck could you not just love to play your ass off with that guy. I'm not even from that neck of the woods but I almost get teary-eyed just thinkin about the guy

Madden is not a bafoon.  He has an incredible amount of football knowledge, and makes it really simple and fun for the audience, while still remaining correct in his analysis.  Len Pasquerelli was on local radio this morning, and geez talk about a guy on Favre's jock!!  He apologized for selecting Favre as the 4th guy on his list, hinting that at worst Favre should be #2. 

I agree.  He's gotta be #1.  I don't remember Unitas but nobody from the past 20 years comes close.  The thing about Favre, which I firmly believe is the single most important thing in rating a quarterback, is....how in the heck could you not just love to play your ass off with that guy.  I'm not even from that neck of the woods but I almost get teary-eyed just thinkin about the guy

574705[/snapback]

Maddne is a tremendous upgrade over other announcers. He has problems but also good insights and cuts through the bull many times.

Favre loves the game and people like playing with him because he makes the game exciting.

I know this isn't a Madden Thread but...A HOF Coach who has become a HOF Announcer has to have a lot to say.

Maybe you don't like him, that's fine. But to call him a buffoon, that's just wrong. How many people can reach the Pinnacle of their career even just once let alone twice, in two different career fields?

Madden has done it as a coach and as an announcer.

I think that makes him, at least, pretty good.

Madden tends to get off on tangents; he DOES make good observations far more than many of the also-ran announcers, but he gets a bit too much leash sometimes for rambling buffonery. I will say that Micheals reins him in far better than Summerall did, for the better.

As it is, I find him less annoying than I used to; but I'd still rather listen to Nantz/Simms, Stockton/Johnston, or Buck/Aikman/Collinsworth than any broadcast with Madden on it.

And yeah, people do give Favre too much love, but when you're watching one of the all-time greats still playing at a high level, I guess the hyperbole can be somewhat excused.

575382[/snapback]

Especially from Madden. He has always appreciated the player that plays hurt or through adversity.

Favre has to be the prototypical All-Madden player that Madden had in mind when he started the All-MAdden Team all those years ago.

And Favre is all of that AND one of the great QB's Statistically and otherwise, of all time.

Why not get excited when you are watching him play?

I know when the Pack was in Indy this year and I was sitting in the stands watching the scoring fest as it transpired on the field, me and my buds were in complete awe of Favre and Manning's ability to play football.

I know Madden can get stuck on a subject but I for one like his willingness to be awed by the game of Football and it's players, even after all of these years of Coaching great players and brodacasting some of the biggest games year in and year out.

Madden tends to get off on tangents; he DOES make good observations far more than many of the also-ran announcers, but he gets a bit too much leash sometimes for rambling buffonery. I will say that Micheals reins him in far better than Summerall did, for the better.

575380[/snapback]

Agreed.

How you can put freaking Jim Nantz above him is mind-boggling. I understand that he's very informative, but he's always so serious. I guess that the thing that makes Madden so enjoyable to me is that he makes the game so much fun. Its a game and its supposed to be fun and thats the outlook that John looks at the game through, and I find it endlessly entertaining.

How you can put freaking Jim Nantz above him is mind-boggling.  I understand that he's very informative, but he's  always so serious.  I guess that the thing that makes Madden so enjoyable to me is that he makes the game so much fun.  Its a game and its supposed to be fun and thats the outlook that John looks at the game through, and I find it endlessly entertaining.

575451[/snapback]

I was thinking TEAMS above the MNF team. Nantz is sorta just there - makes the call, draws Simms out a bit - but I think Simms is first rate; I'd rather listen to Simms than Madden and Nantz and Micheals are "whatever".

Now go unbundle your undies. :D