[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Time to replace T. Jones

aterry1979

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thomas Jones is an average back on a very bad team, which makes him a bad RB for the time being.

576344[/snapback]

well...then how did he perform so well early on?...he had an above average QB and was part of a mediocre team...

if he was "average"...he wouldn't have had good games to start the season..

I'll give him Washington, but Green Bay Minnesota and the Lions. :D

576348[/snapback]

the Lions played well early on...even against the run...and the packers had Grady Jackson...and as you know, since he's been back...people have almost forgotten how bad the pack were against the run...

the Vikings....suck against the run...and have all season

jeff blake will be UFA next season, and i believe he was last offseason too, and i think he would be a nice veteran free agent to sign as a back up qb for the bears.

576363[/snapback]

yea...him and Warner are about equal in my book right about now :D

but Blake comes cheaper

Guys,  as much as I hate to do this as I supported T. Jones the whole season, I think its time for us T. Jones owners to find a replacement.  Im not saying its his fault that hes doing crap, but its almost playoff time and we need someone to give us that extra "umph" at the end.  :D

575667[/snapback]

Sounds good in theory. Ya think maybe LT2, Alexander, or someone like that might be on the waiver wire? Who are you going to replace him with? For the most part, owners are going to be stuck with what they've got and hope for the best? In my league, there is absolutely no one worth a sh-it available.

Maybe a trade, but even then it's easier said than done.

Sounds good in theory. Ya think maybe LT2, Alexander, or someone like that might be on the waiver wire? Who are you going to replace him with? For the most part, owners are going to be stuck with what they've got and hope for the best? In my league, there is absolutely no one worth a sh-it available.

Maybe a trade, but even then it's easier said than done.

576374[/snapback]

Most trade deadlines have come and gone, and you'd have to sacrifice another player as well to get a worthwhile RB anyway. I agree about the WW though, it's the same every season. There are only 32 starters in the NFL, some of them rubbish, and in a 10 man league, you will usually find between 40 and 50 RBs on rosters already. Not surprising the pickings are thin.

I know they'll be FA's...but arent they RFA's?...at least Edge is and they can franchise Harrison...

576373[/snapback]

Both will be UFA's, as both have at least 4 years of "vested" experience.

They can franchise a player, but 1 player only.

that would not surprise me they have 2 offensive lineman that are rfa's i think-which will take up some money too- they probably beleive they could get away w/out edge and still be competitive

576620[/snapback]

I've been saying...they can survive more without Edge than Harrison...

but I think they are trying to prove they can survive without either of them :D

I read today that the Bears may be moving to Hutchinson at QB....would have to be an improvement!! I have T Jones in a 1pt per reception league so he is still a viable option.

576801[/snapback]

I'm 1 pt per rec. too...but he still will be my #3 behind Green and FTaylor..

Looks like the Bears went out and signed Jeff George tonight. I don't know if or when he'll get a chance to start, but hopefully if it happens it could help Thomas Jones a little.

Having already gone through three starting quarterbacks this season, Bears coach Lovie Smith said after his team's Thanksgiving Day loss at Dallas that he still had "some options," and that likely means Chicago will turn to third-year veteran Chad Hutchinson in Week 12.

Jeff George hasn't played in a game since the 2001 season with the Redskins.

It apparently also meant, however, that the Bears would sign a more experienced quarterback who might add some playmaking skills to a woeful passing game that statistically ranks dead last in the league.

On Saturday evening, Chicago did just that.

Free agent Jeff George signed a one-year contract to return to the NFL, ESPN.com has learned. Financial details were not immediately available, but it is anticipated that the contract is for the league minimum of $760,000, prorated over the final five games of this season. The deal came after George huddled much of Saturday with Bears coaches and team officials.

The Bears are expected to announce the signing Monday.

A 12-year veteran, George is expected to begin his Bears tenure third on the depth chart. Given the team's tenuous situation at the position, though, he could well play before the end of the season. The team also will view his time in Chicago as an audition toward potentially signing him for 2005.

George, 36, has not played since early in the 2001 season, when he started the first two games for the Washington Redskins before being benched and subsequently released by coach Marty Schottenheimer. George has been attempting, though, to revive his career, and there has been considerable and ongoing dialogue between him and Bears officials through much of this season.

Several weeks ago, George voluntarily drove to Chicago to meet with Bears quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson. The two played together with the Oakland Raiders in '98 and have kept in touch.

In an interview earlier this month with ESPN.com, which became the subject of a lengthy "Tip Sheet" item, George reiterated his strong desire to play again. He noted then that he would play any role with a team and that he preferred that his career end on his terms. George has been working out regularly in Indianapolis in the hopes that some team would afford him an opportunity to play.

Ironically, the chance to resurrect his career comes at a time when George was beginning to consider alternative options in football. Last week, he told ESPN.com that he might have the opportunity to interview for a coaching job in the college ranks. That was before the Bears phoned him on Friday evening and requested that he make the Saturday visit.

The first overall pick in the 1990 draft, George has played previously for Indianapolis (1990-93), Atlanta (1994-96), Oakland (1997-98), Minnesota (1999) and Washington (2000-2001). In 131 appearances (124 starts), he was 2,298 of 3,967 for 27,602 yards, with 154 touchdown passes, 113 interceptions, and a passer rating of 80.4.

He threw for more than 2,500 yards on six occasions and his best season statistically was in 1995, when he threw for 4,143 yards playing in Atlanta's "run and shoot" design. He also led the Vikings to the playoffs in '99 after replacing Randall Cunningham as the starter.

The Bears, 4-7 following their loss at Dallas, have struggled at quarterback since starter Rex Grossman suffered a season-ending knee injury in the third game. Backup Jonathan Quinn proved ineffective and, even though rookie Craig Krenzel posted a three-game winning streak at one point, his play was sporadic at best.

Since the injury to Grossman, the Bears have had only one 200-yard passing performance. Five times in the last seven games, Chicago's starter threw for less than 150 yards, and three times the starter was under 70 yards.

Krenzel, who has started the past five games, and had 13 turnovers, on Thursday suffered a high ankle sprain. The injury isn't as serious as originally believed, but team officials apparently feel it might be time, no matter Krenzel's status, to add a more experienced quarterback to the mix.

The guess is that the Bears will turn to Hutchinson, who has yet to see action this year, for their Dec. 5 home game against the Minnesota Vikings.

Hutchinson, 27, was signed early this season after the Cowboys released him. He started nine game for Dallas in 2002, but has been slow to absorb the Chicago offense.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor..._len&id=1933215