[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is Peyton just asking for some bad kharma?

Lonestar39

I'm pressing on the button and saying what he is doing is not very classy. Up 34-9 on a dismal Detroit team with a 2nd and 4 at the 5 yard line and still throwing in the end zone? That is one large ego and Dungy should put a clamp on that (yes, Peyton controls play calling). At least Dungy got him out of the game. I'm very impressed with what he is doing and I know that Indy needs to score a lot of points because of their horrific defense but this is starting to get to be border line "punk" type ball.

Give me a break. THERE WAS STILL OVER 2 MINUTES LEFT IN THE THIRD QUARTER. Peyton was pulled from the game before the third quarter was over. One more series, and he could have had the record for TD's in a game (7). Did you see the play? The Lions were overplaying the run. The Colts were struggling running because they were missing there starting LG, RG, and C. Do you want the Colts to punt on third down? There were over 17 minutes left in that game still...

Edit due to bad memory as to which TD it was, they are starting to run together.

Edited by CaptainHook

Give me a break.  THERE WAS STILL OVER 9 MINUTES LEFT IN THE THIRD QUARTER.  Peyton was pulled from the game before the third quarter was over.  One more series, and he could have had the record for TD's in a game (7).  Did you see the play?  The Lions were overplaying the run.  The Colts were struggling running because they were missing there starting LG, RG, and C.  Do you want the Colts to punt on third down?  There were over 24 minutes left in that game still...

575764[/snapback]

Agreed. I'm not a Colts fans nor do I have any Colts in my two main pools, but this weekly whining has become stupid. This isn't peewee football it's a professional league where the people playing get paid. That's right, they collect a paycheck to play football and fans who buy tickets/watch on tv pay those salaries. Should they pull Manning in the 3rd? Should he stop trying? Score and keep scoring. If a bunch of millionaire egos get a little bruised, then good. Maybe they'll show up next time.

Agreed. I'm not a Colts fans nor do I have any Colts in my two main pools, but this weekly whining has become stupid. This isn't peewee football it's a professional league where the people playing get paid. That's right, they collect a paycheck to play football and fans who buy tickets/watch on tv pay those salaries. Should they pull Manning in the 3rd? Should he stop trying? Score and keep scoring. If a bunch of millionaire egos get a little bruised, then good. Maybe they'll show up next time.

575770[/snapback]

Exactly.

I have to agree with the Captain on this one. Are you saying that 25 points with 17 minutes left in the game is enough that you shouldn't try to score?

What is the magic formula? If there are more points than minutes to overcome that a team should try "not to score"? I am obviously a big Manning fan (yes I go to most Colts games), but I don't want to be a blind homer. I want to know what I am missing in all of this. I keep reading from people all the time that he's "padding his stats". I guess I don't understand what you are supposed to do when you are on the field and they are stacking the box against the run or showing run blitz when you know you can have someone open accross the middle or a safety valve in the flat...

All of these complaints about Manning would only make sense if the Colts were struggling on Offense. But they aren't struggling at all.

Manning is putting together what is going to be called the greatest single season ever by a QB. Going into todays game his QB rating was over 122 and after todays game it could only be higher.

When Manning stayed in the game until the end against Houston everyone was saying he was being greedy and stupid.

So since then he hasn't finished a game and today he left before the end of the 3rd Quarter. And he was only 2 TD away from setting a new single game record for TD passes in a game in front of a National TV audience.

And people are still pissing and moaning.

Frankly I would have rather seen him stay in and break the record.

It's high time for everyone to just get over it. Stop your bltching and just enjoy it because we may never see anoher season like this out of a QB ever.

Edited by Jrick35

... just enjoy it because we may never see another season like this out of a QB ever.

575780[/snapback]

Having closely followed football for decades, I agree 100%.

In some sense it is a thing of beauty and you know that it cannot last and yet cannot imagine how it can be less in the future if the team stays intact. He completed 23 of 28 passes. He only plays for three quarters here lately in the freaking NFL. It's like watching a high school game. Utterly amazing.

I'm pressing on the button and saying what he is doing is not very classy. Up 34-9 on a dismal Detroit team with a 2nd and 4 at the 5 yard line and still throwing in the end zone? That is one large ego and Dungy should put a clamp on that (yes, Peyton controls play calling). At least Dungy got him out of the game. I'm very impressed with what he is doing and I know that Indy needs to score a lot of points because of their horrific defense but this is starting to get to be border line "punk" type ball.

575760[/snapback]

Punt??? Why would they want to punt at the Detroit 5 yard line. Do you even know what play I was referring too? Edge just ripped a nice little 6 yard run. The worst they would have done was kick a very easy field goal. If Edge had run the ball in to me it's a different story.

17 minutes left and Detroit had already thrown in the towel with McMahon being out on the field. Does anyone in their right mind think that Detroit was going to catch up? Hell, you could have let Detroit line up at the Indy 20 for the rest of the game and they still would not have scored.

Anyway, it's just my opinion after seeing this type of play for the previous few weeks that what he is doing shows a little lack of class, but then again this is the same team that uprooted in the middle of the night to move to Indy.

If this type of play is really okay then why do teams take a knee at the end of a game? It's professional ball right? They should be running their offense at all times and never holding up it sounds like what some of you are trying to say?

All this is pointless though because Indy will have to run through New England in the end and Peyton will be watching from home after that. He is a great QB but I just have less respect for him now.

I have Edge -- I wish he would have scored -- but this is the first whole game of Indy's I've watched since the Minnesota Monday night game -- and I have to admit that from what I saw, the running wasn't nearly as effective as the passing -- I'm not sure if they would have given him the ball 30 times he would have scored. I don't know if that was the defense committed to stopping the run or the replacements in the offensive line. But I think Edge has lost a step -- I don't think he's broken a long one all year has he? :D

Edge has never been one to break long runs. His rookie year he had a 73 yarder against Philly. Since then his long runs have never been above 43 yards.

2000: long was 30

2001: long was 29

2002: long was 20

2003: long was 43

2004: long is 40

Edited by CaptainHook

Why should a team stop passing when they can't be stopped at it? Manning is just unbelievable. How many times can a guy audible at the line and seem to always get it right? They have a great mix of run/pass going down the field and when they get inside the 10 they've had far greater success passing. Anyone know their TD scoring % inside the 20?

Manning has been masterful.

These threads scream of whiney Edge owners or Manning haters.

I don't think there's much doubt Peyton could've gotten 8 today. If he was such a selfish whiney ***, he would've gotten the eight.

Why is this such a big deal? He's throwing TD passes, and the last time I checked, he's a QB and that's what he gets paid to do. So Edge isn't getting the big numbers of a few years back. The bottom line is that the Colts are leading their division and may just have the talent enough to win the SB this year (providing the defense steps it up a bit). If this were a different sport, would we all be saying that Peyton is just padding his stats? No, I don't think so. Back in the 80's in the NHL when Gretzky was shattering scoring records year in and year out, what did everyone say? I'll tell you what they all said.......Wayne Gretzky is the greatest player in the history of the NHL and hadn't even played 10 seasons yet. The Edmonton Oilers were winning, Gretzky was "padding his stats" (yeah right), and everyone was happy because the NHL was going out to its biggest audience ever at the time. What about Michael Jordan? I never heard any complaints when he was lighting up the scoreboard night in and night out. Was Jordan padding his stats? I never heard that he was. Why can't everyone just be happy that Manning is having a stellar season and quite possibly the best season ever for a QB? Are records in the NFL held in higher regards than records in other sports? I don't think so. That's why records are kept..........to give current players something to shoot for on their way to the SB. Oh by the way, I'm not a Colts fan, I'm just tired of hearing all this garbage about "padding his stats".

Sorry, I felt the need to rant about that.

I have to admit that from what I saw, the running wasn't nearly as effective as the passing -- I'm not sure if they would have given him the ball 30 times he would have scored.  I don't know if that was the defense committed to stopping the run or the replacements in the offensive line.  But I think Edge has lost a step -- I don't think he's broken a long one all year has he?  :D

575851[/snapback]

I agree that the passing game is practically unstoppable right now, so why would Indy not keep passing. No reason to go away from what is working so well for them.

But for you to say that it looked like Edge has "lost a step," well I wonder if you were watching the same game I was. :D He was spinning, breaking tackles and carrying guys on his back to get the gains he was today.

He has also broken several long runs this season, including a 40 yarder just last week. Oh yeah, he also has a 4.9 yards per carry average, which by the way is the highest ypc of his career. Lost a step? I think not.

Edited by Skrappy1

Why is this such a big deal?  He's throwing TD passes, and the last time I checked, he's a QB and that's what he gets paid to do.  So Edge isn't getting the big numbers of a few years back.  The bottom line is that the Colts are leading their division and may just have the talent enough to win the SB this year (providing the defense steps it up a bit).  If this were a different sport, would we all be saying that Peyton is just padding his stats?  No, I don't think so.  Back in the 80's in the NHL when Gretzky was shattering scoring records year in and year out, what did everyone say?  I'll tell you what they all said.......Wayne Gretzky is the greatest player in the history of the NHL and hadn't even played 10 seasons yet.  The Edmonton Oilers were winning, Gretzky was "padding his stats" (yeah right), and everyone was happy because the NHL was going out to its biggest audience ever at the time.  What about Michael Jordan?  I never heard any complaints when he was lighting up the scoreboard night in and night out.  Was Jordan padding his stats?  I never heard that he was.  Why can't everyone just be happy that Manning is having a stellar season and quite possibly the best season ever for a QB?  Are records in the NFL held in higher regards than records in other sports?  I don't think so.  That's why records are kept..........to give current players something to shoot for on their way to the SB.  Oh by the way, I'm not a Colts fan, I'm just tired of hearing all this garbage about "padding his stats".

Sorry, I felt the need to rant about that.

575860[/snapback]

Have to agree here.

In the bottom of the eight Barry Bonds isn't trying to single to right.

When Chamberlain averaged over 50 points per game for the whole season complaints were absent.

Walter Payton wasn't stopping at the ten yard line late in the game even if the Bears were well ahead (if anyone can remember that far back)

Peyton should be allowed to get whatever he can as long as he's in the game.

Are the defenses complaining? It appears that it's only fantasy players that have a gripe.

Enjoy it while you can and fifty years from now you can tell your grandkids that no one could compare to the season you witnessed Peyton Manning had in '04.

:D

I seem to remember a playoff game several years ago when Houston was up 35-0. The back-up QB for the bills, Frank Reich, took the team back and the bills won that game. (as an aside, frank reich also has the biggest comeback as a QB in division 1 college ball when he led maryland to a win over univ of miami after miami was up 31-0).

From what I understand about football, it's not the Colts job to stop themselves from scoring, it's the opposing teams' job.

My philosophy is that if the other team is still trying to win, then my team should continue trying to win.

My only problem with the whole thing is as a Peyton owner I'm worried that someday soon one of these defenses will just say F' it and try to take Peyton out rather than play good D. It may not be cool, and Warren was stupid to say it out loud, but you gotta know that these defenses are getting embaressed and start thinking, "Crush the head and the body dies".

I am not a Colts fan, nor do I own Manning in any of my leagues,

but I have no problem with what he is doing. As long as they're

winning, what's the problem? As stated earlier, this is pro football.

Million dollar salaries. If you can run up the score on a team, go for it.

If that team is embarrased, maybe they will do something to turn their club around and start winning.

Peyton could throw on every down, and as long as they win, so be it.

The Colts were struggling running because they were missing there starting LG, RG, and C. 

575764[/snapback]

No offense intended Captain, but the Colts were NOT struggling when running the ball. :D

At that particular point in the game, Edge was averaging just over 5 yards per carry and bowling over Lion defenders like ten pins. That's not struggling.

But when Manning's the QB and the passing game is as hot as it is, the ground game becomes complimentary to the passing game.