[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

No More Manning Bashing Posts!

Gak Attack

:D No more Manning bashing posts.

Aside from being irritating, it’s just ridiculous to bash on a player for having a career season.

* OJ Simpson’s 2,003 yards/season - applauded

* Dickerson’s 2,105 yards/season - applauded

* Rice’s 1,848 yards/season - applauded

* Holmes’s 27 total TDs/season - applauded

* Marino’s 48 TDs/season - applauded

* Manning’s 41 TD passes so far - ___________

Don’t be an arse and bash his efforts and ability - Manning should be admired and respected for his ability. Take your trash somewhere else.

Edited by Gak Attack

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but Manning runs up won't let Edge run and he's throwing 100 passes a game... :D

I'm kidding of course since Manning is averaging less pass attempts per game this year than any other in his career.

Manning pass attempts: 352

Edge rush attempts: 243

That's pretty balanced no matter who you are. Heck, Marc Bulger has attempted 10 more passes in 1 less game so far...

Overall, I'm thrilled that I picked this year to split season tickets to the Colts with a friend from work. My last home game (before the playoffs I hope) is week 16 against SD. I thought that was going to be a waste game, but now I "might" get a chance to see him break the record in person if he can only throw 7 TDs in the next 3 games (and if he throws more than that I won't be rooting against him I can tell you). Even my wife (who wasn't excited about my spending on the tickets) is starting to think about me renewing them for next year)

Don’t be an arse and bash his efforts and ability - Manning should be admired and respected for his ability.  Take your trash somewhere else.

575906[/snapback]

Gak Attack,

While you have absolutely every right in the world, to slobber Peyton's knob as much as you like, others have just as equal a right to bash away to their hearts content.

My suggestion is to not open and read any of the posts where it's going to be an obvious Manning ranting / venting thread.

That way you won't be irritated :D

:D  No more Manning bashing posts.

575906[/snapback]

Where the heck is the fun in that? :DB)

While I have a lot of respect for his ability, which is what I guess you are going for here, it is absolutely painful to watch him. Guy drives me nuts. Just get up to the line of scrimmage and do the job... theatrics just turn me off.

I am sure he will do everything possible to break the record... and more power to him.... but individual records don't mean much if the team you are on can't at least make it to the big one. Don't have to win it... but at least make it there.

Where the heck is the fun in that?  :D:D

While I have a lot of respect for his ability, which is what I guess you are going for here, it is absolutely painful to watch him. Guy drives me nuts. Just get up to the line of scrimmage and do the job... theatrics just turn me off.

I am sure he will do everything possible to break the record... and more power to him.... but individual records don't mean much if the team you are on can't at least make it to the big one. Don't have to win it... but at least make it there.

575981[/snapback]

It will be interesting to see what happens to this team. I have no problem with Manning or his theatrics, because the guy is a darn good QB.

If he leads this team to the Super Bowl and especially a Super Bowl win, there will be no question this would be one of the greatest, if not THE greatest, performances by a QB ever in the NFL. And right now we are witnessing it.

I admire Peyton Manning and respect him for his ability.

Unless and until a defense figures out how to stop him and the Indy passing game, it would be professional malpractice for the Colts to do anything different.

576007[/snapback]

100% agreement.

But it's still fun to bash him :D

:D  No more Manning bashing posts.

Aside from being irritating, it’s just ridiculous to bash on a player for having a career season.

* OJ Simpson’s 2,003 yards/season - applauded

* Dickerson’s 2,105 yards/season - applauded

* Rice’s 1,848 yards/season - applauded

* Holmes’s 27 total TDs/season - applauded

* Marino’s 48 TDs/season - applauded

* Manning’s 41 TD passes so far - ___________

Don’t be an arse and bash his efforts and ability - Manning should be admired and respected for his ability.  Take your trash somewhere else.

575906[/snapback]

4 of the 5 you just mentioned probably didn't call the plays and were recepients of the play, not forcing the play. The other guy just had no running game. Also, we can bash regardless. Sometimes just to get a thread going (with a somewhat sound base at least) is worth a bash bait here! As far as his ability being admired and respected that is not what is questioned by most people right now it's his lack of class in how he is going about achieving these records that I have started to lose respect for him. Don't confuse the ability versus class here. Indy has 3 very good running backs and here is Peyton flinging away when conventional wisdom says a team should be managing the clock with a running game...it's not like Edge sucks. What he is doing with the ball right now and spreading it around has been awesome but I just cringe when the game seems to be out of hand and he is still calling and executing the pass when they most likely should be running.

When a sprinter is blowing the competition away, is it classless to keep running or swimming at full speed, trying to set the world record?

When a baseball team is up by 10 runs in the 8th, it it classless for the batters to keep trying to get hits?

When a hockey team is up by 5 goals in the 3rd period, is it classless to attempt any shots on goal?

If your client is already making a substantial profit based on his investments, it is classless to try to make them any more money?

Answer to all - no - they're all doing their jobs.

When a sprinter is blowing the competition away, is it classless to keep running or swimming at full speed, trying to set the world record?

When a baseball team is up by 10 runs in the 8th, it it classless for the batters to keep trying to get hits?

When a hockey team is up by 5 goals in the 3rd period, is it classless to attempt any shots on goal?

If your client is already making a substantial profit based on his investments, it is classless to try to make them any more money?

576065[/snapback]

Then why do we see so many NFL Teams with a blowout lead, just run the ball on unmakeable 4th downs and turn the ball over?

Or, again with a blowout lead, get down to the 20, but take a knee instead of trying to keep scoring?

Could it be that there's an unwritten code amongst NFL Coaches about running up the score and showing up the opposition, when the game is in hand and they've totally dominated?

Nah...must be my imagination :D

Then why do we see so many NFL Teams with a blowout lead, just run the ball on unmakeable 4th downs and turn the ball over?

Or, again with a blowout lead, get down to the 20, but take a knee instead of trying to keep scoring?

Could it be that there's an unwritten code amongst NFL Coaches about running up the score and showing up the opposition, when the game is in hand and they've totally dominated?

Nah...must be my imagination :D

576072[/snapback]

Was it classless for Phil Mickelson to try to make that eagle putt on 18 to shoot a 58 when he was going to win anyway?

As to your questions - I don't think the answer is "because they have class" - I think it it because it is a question of risk/reward analysis - usually the risk is a senseless injury with no reward because the game has already been won. In Peyton's circumstances, we're talking about the 3rd quarter, a team with no defense, and the reward of getting closer to an NFL record. Rewards outweigh the risks moreso than in the ususal circumstances, IMO. It is not about class or a lack thereof.

576065[/snapback]

Then riddle me this Squeegiebo: When a football team is up by 16 points with 2 minutes left why does the winning team start taking a knee?

How 'bout in basketball? Why does the winning team just stand there dribbling the ball instead of hoisting a shot up? Just think, some guy could take a free shot from the other end of the court and if he makes it he is on Sports Center constantly for the next 48 hours. What a bunch of dumb-arses! They should keep running their offense.

Sprinters: That's not a team sport and is driven solely to set records.

Baseball: Up by 10 in the 8th you have back-ups generally getting quality playing time and it's their job to hone their skills to get more playing time.

Hockey: I don't understand that game still...soccer on ice is what we call it in Texas still.

Investments: That analogy is just plain dumb. Nobody ever should turn money away.

The answer to all may have been no but each one is different in it's own respects. Football is a team sport, not a statistical/record achieving sport that gives "wins" for setting records. I understand what you are saying, but there is more to it than that.

Then riddle me this Squeegiebo: When a football team is up by 16 points with 2 minutes left why does the winning team start taking a knee?

How 'bout in basketball? Why does the winning team just stand there dribbling the ball instead of hoisting a shot up? Just think, some guy could take a free shot from the other end of the court and if he makes it he is on Sports Center constantly for the next 48 hours. What a bunch of dumb-arses! They should keep running their offense.

Sprinters: That's not a team sport and is driven solely to set records.

Baseball: Up by 10 in the 8th you have back-ups generally getting quality playing time and it's their job to hone their skills to get more playing time.

Hockey: I don't understand that game still...soccer on ice is what we call it in Texas still.

Investments: That analogy is just plain dumb. Nobody ever should turn money away.

The answer to all may have been no but each one is different in it's own respects. Football is a team sport, not a statistical/record achieving sport that gives "wins" for setting records. I understand what you are saying, but there is more to it than that.

576077[/snapback]

I understand your points. I submit that the differences you have noted between team and individual sports - that in team sports backups are put in the game to give them an opportunity to hone their skills - points to a flaw in Dungy, not Manning. If the game has been won, even with a lot of time left on the clock, it is the coach's responsibility to take the starters out and give the backups a chance to work on their skills. If he's going to keep Manning in the game, Manning should continue to play.

Gak Attack,

While you have absolutely every right in the world, to slobber Peyton's knob as much as you like, others have just as equal a right to bash away to their hearts content.

My suggestion is to not open and read any of the posts where it's going to be an obvious Manning ranting / venting thread.

That way you won't be irritated :D

575978[/snapback]

I have to agree with Big Score here. I've chimed in on the Manning/selfishness topic a few times in the past few weeks, which I think I have every right to do, just like all of the bashers have the right to bash.

One thought though - don't let FF obscure the real game. What Peyton is doing this year is truly amazing, breaking a record that many people thought was completely out of reach. Most people play fantasy football because they enjoy real football. Some football purists have critiqued fantasy because it encourages people to cheer for things that are peripheral to the actual games (like a Packer fan cheering for a Viking when they're playing the Packers, etc.). All of the people who are whining (and yes, it is whining) about Edge having his TDs "stolen" by Peyton need to take a step back and appreciate the game.

Edited by Fatman

What amazes me the most about the "bashers" is that they keep biatching about how Peyton keeps throwing the ball so much and doesn't give it to the Edge!!! This might get kind of long, but Lets examine...shall we!!!! :D

3 QB's have more PASSING ATTEMPTS than Peyton (at 252)

-- Aaron Brooks has 368 and 12 TD's

-- Marc Bulger has 362 and 15 TD's

-- Daunte Culpeper has 353 and 27 TD's

3 other QB's are within 10 PASSING ATTEMPTS of Peyton

-- Brett Farve at 348 and 19 TD's

-- Jake "Broken Thumb" Delhome at 344 and 17 TD's

-- & Carson Palmer at 343 and 9 TD's

Let's also look at Peyton's OVERALL AVERAGE ATTEMPTS PER GAME throughout his career.

1998 -- 35.94 Attempts per game

1999 -- 33-31 Attempts per game

2000 -- 35.69 Attempts per game

2001 -- 34.19 Attempts per game

2002 -- 36.94 Attempts per game

2003 -- 35.38 Attempts per game

2004 -- 32 Attempts per game to date!!! This is his lowest average attempts per game since he's been in the NFL!!!

So, since Peyton is averaging less attempts per game, then he must not be handing it off to the Edge that much........So let's check......At this point in the season...

Edgerrin James -- 243 attempts for 1186 yards, 4.9 yrds per carry, 6 TD's

Alexander -- 224 attempts for 1151 yards, 5.1 yrds per carry, 10 TD's

CuMar -- 235 attempts

Tiki -- 205 attempts

Dillon -- 206 attempts, etc, etc, etc....

:D So I guess that Peyton is handing it off more than any other QB in the league since Edge is leading the league in attempts and yardage.

Wait, I know the answer........It must be the Receivers and the Coaches!!!!! B)

So for those of you complaining about the QB in the league with the 4th most passing attempts and the QB who hands it off to his RB more than any other QB in the league, why don't you start a thread bashing the receiving skills of all the Colt's Wide Receivers, or even better yet, start a thread bashing the drafing/recruiting skills of the Colts coaching staff because they put together a receiving corp that's better than any other receiving corp in the NFL. :D

Overall, Peyton has less attempts than other QB's in the league and he hands it off as much as any other QB in the league, so don't bash the man for being accurate or his receivers being able to catch the ball and do something with it after the catch.

I really wonder what people were saying about Dan Marino the year he broke the record???

Edited by Big Dogs

Big Dogs,

I think where all the Edge owners / Manning bashers have a complaint, is the continuous passing when inside the 10.

Edge simply isn't getting the carries when in close and that's a fact.

And it REALLY chaps the Edge owners when they see Peyton audible out of a play when it's goal to go and pass for a TD.

While we'll never know if it was an actual run play that Peyton audibled out of, every Edge owner on the planet is convinced it was a possible Edge TD Manning stole from Edge and turned into a passing TD. :D

You'd think with that horrible defense, they would run time off the clock.

576055[/snapback]

:D 33 points given up in 3 games, and only 26 by the defense. They are still something like 23rd in scoring defense, but it looks like they are starting to shape up. Houston and Detroit are not great offensive teams, but they are both hovering right around the middle of the NFL pack. Indy shut both offenses down. I think it's time to stop the "If they only had a defense" mantra.

You can't stop people from bashing Manning, and by no means call on moderators to do so. If so, close down the Internet right now, I want my money back.

But everybody bashing Manning is either really immature person who hates the Colts, passed on drafting him, drafted Edge or is just baiting people to come to his defense. There is no logical football/sports reason to do so. Either he doesn't have a killer instinct or he's running up points or *gasp* trying to break a record. God forbid him excell at what he does. What does him coming out of yesterdays game in the 3rd Qtr, instead of gettign 2 more easy TDs, say to all these bashers? Probably nothing, they'll find somethign else to hate him for.

My suggestion is let them rant. It drives them crazy to see him succeed. If you like Manning, worry abou tthat Colt Defense instead of what people say about PM, that should be your real concern, not a bunch of whining crybabies or flamers.

Yeah teams might be able to score on Indy, but if they run out the clock, the other team doesn't have enough time to 1) Come back from losing by 35 points and 2) Indy will just go back and match them TD to TD if they bring it back SOME HOW with in 7 points.

His performance this year has been amazing....hes lucky to have a great trio of WRs, a great RB and TEs who are basically fat WRs :D All of Indy's $ is in the O....hell hes only been sacked 6 times ALL YEAR-- that in itself is amazing to me.

They are a one dimensional team and i dont care what anyone says-- their D sucks. I cant see Indy winning it all with that D....yes that doesn't take anything away from his performance this season.

I tell you what tho....he keeps dropping back when the games are in the bag and hes gonna get laid out....hard.

Big Dogs,

And it REALLY chaps the Edge owners when they see Peyton audible out of a play when it's goal to go and pass for a TD.

While we'll never know if it was an actual run play that Peyton audibled out of, every Edge owner on the planet is convinced it was a possible Edge TD Manning stole from Edge and turned into a passing TD. :D

576095[/snapback]

To me, this argument is kind of silly. If Manning audibles out of a running play because the defense is set up to stop the run, that makes him a darn smart quarterback in my book.

We all know this guy studies more film and is smarter than most of the other QB's out there, plus his coaching staff gives him the freedom for the audible because they know he will make good decisions.

I understand the Edge owners being pissed, but guess what: they are there to win games for the Colts, not for Joe Fantasy Football at home.