[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

G.B Homers Ahman?

whomper

My biggest week of the year and Im sweating out my running backs big time..Everyone got injured this past week.Emmitt,Ahman wheatley Najeh.Im just looking for any new info on the Green Bay Backfield this week.Thanks.

Posted on Sat, Nov. 27, 2004

Green remains questionable for Monday

Associated Press

GREEN BAY, Wis. - Green Bay Packers head coach Mike Sherman could keep the St. Louis Rams guessing about whether Pro Bowl halfback Ahman Green will play Monday night.

Green didn't practice this week after suffering sprained rib cartilage in the last game. But the Packers are keeping Green listed as questionable on the injury report, meaning he has a 50 percent chance of playing.

Sherman said after Saturday's practice that Green's status is "day to day" and a final decision will be made on game day at Lambeau Field.

Sherman said a direct hit to the ribs could be tough on Green. "But, he's a pretty tough guy, and he can handle quite a few things," Sherman said.

Sherman and the team's medical staff aren't sure to what extent Green would be able to withstand a hit. He was limited to working with only training bags off to the side Saturday.

If Green plays Monday, he likely will have to wear a flak jacket for protection.

Sherman hinted that the team may play it safe and keep Green out, given that it will have a short turnaround before playing Dec. 5 at NFC leader Philadelphia.

Green wasn't available to speak to reporters after practice.

If Green is out Monday, Sherman said Najeh Davenport, who is ailing himself, would be the first choice to start.

Davenport declared himself ready to play after practicing three days without additional harm to his strained left hamstring. The injury kept Davenport out of the Packers' win at Houston last Sunday.

The Packers have listed Davenport on the injury report as probable for Monday's game. Davenport said he is at "80, 85 percent" healthy.

Fraz,

After reading that last article I posted. I think I'd take a shot with Fisher. You never know with Ahman, but, I can't see them risking him Monday if they can get by without him. Davenport says he's 80-85 %, I think Fisher will get quite a few touches & should outscore Wheatley at Denver. However, in bad weather Wheatley might not be a bad play :D

I'm sure this cleared things up for you. Anytime I can help, let me know :D

Fraz,

After reading that last article I posted.  I think I'd take a shot with Fisher.  You never know with Ahman, but, I can't see them risking him Monday if they can get by without him.  Davenport says he's 80-85 %, I think Fisher will get quite a few touches & should outscore Wheatley at Denver.  However, in bad weather Wheatley might not be a bad play :D

I'm sure this cleared things up for you.  Anytime I can help, let me know  B)

577631[/snapback]

lol ... Turf, funny how we play each other tommorrow & you suggest for me to play Fisher. :D

From The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Green Bay - If you ask his fellow backfield mates, Ahman Green is going to play Monday night against the St. Louis Rams.

Green Bay Packers coach Mike Sherman wouldn’t go that far after Saturday’s practice at the Don Hutson Center and maintained that he wouldn’t know until the day of the game whether his star running back would be able to play.

As a result, Sherman said he was leaning toward starting backup Najeh Davenport, who practiced for a third consecutive day without any setback to his tender left hamstring. Davenport, who has carried the ball just six times in the last three games, would be making his first career start.

Green, who suffered sprained rib cartilage last week against Houston, took part in drills aimed at testing his readiness for the game Monday. It was the first time this week that he had done anything in practice and from most accounts appeared to come out of it pretty well.

“He looked all right,” running back Tony Fisher said. “He was doing some of the stuff we were doing, so he looked all right to me. He said he was doing all right. He should be all right.”

Said running backs coach Johnny Roland, “He’s better. He did just enough to show he can take a bang and get used to the flak jacket. He keeps telling me he’s all right, but we’ll wait and see. It’s probably a game-day decision.”

Green, who would not answer any questions, did not take part in any of the 11-on-11 drills in the non-pads workout, but Sherman said he performed contact drills such as hitting the tackling bag to test his pain threshold and prepare him for live tackling Monday night.

He will not take part in any full-contact drills before the game, so determining his status will be a matter of estimating how well he can move his upper body without discomfort. If he plays, he will wear the flak jacket to protect his ribs, but he will not receive an injection to numb the affected area.

The tests the medical staff put him through over the next 24 hours or so probably will determine whether he plays. Sherman wants to make sure the pain in Green’s rib area doesn’t restrict him from moving the way he normally does.

“I think there’s always that opportunity that if he takes a direct shot it could be tough on him,” Sherman said. “But he’s a pretty tough guy and he can handle quite a few things.”

Regardless of whether Green is in uniform, Davenport is going to get a good portion of the carries. The third-year back estimated that he is at least as healthy as he was when he made his return from a right hamstring injury in the Detroit game Oct. 17. He carried 10 times for 62 yards and a touchdown in that contest.

Roland said he had no doubt Davenport could handle a heavy load against the Rams despite the fact he hasn’t carried the ball since the first series of the Minnesota game Nov. 14.

“He’s done it over and over again,” Roland said of carrying the ball. “It’s not a big problem in terms of being the guy.”

Fullback Nick Luchey appears ready to go after testing his dislocated left shoulder during a full-pads session with the tackling bag and blocking sled. Luchey said he had full range of motion and didn’t feel the harness he will be required to wear will hinder him in his blocking.

“It helps me a lot,” he said. “It definitely keeps me stable. With hitting the sled today, it definitely felt stable and the more I hit it, the more confidence I had. I got a little fatigued, but as far as playing. . . . I think I can. If it was up to me, I would say I could go.”

More than likely the Packers will keep recently signed running back James Jackson active for the game for precautionary reasons. If any of the backs were unable to play or got hurt during the game, Jackson could fill in.

Roland said Jackson knew a good portion of the plays and the coaches would whittle down the list to those he knows best