[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

LT2 willing to restructure to keep Brees?

pseudolefty

Just finished watching Fri's edition of NFL Live and chuckled a little when Trey Wingo put LT on the spot and asked if he'd be willing to restructure his big money contract to help keep Brees on the team next year. LT smiled and said "anything's negotiable" and jokingly said "maybe we could work something out where Drew gives me extra money on the side" (or something like that). Even though done in gist, it raised an interesting option that I hasn't been widely discussed. The popular thought is that the Chargers cannot afford to franchise tag Brees and keep him, especially due to the $$ they paid Rivers. However, if LT restructures some of his money, maybe this could help keep Brees in town, if just for one year. After all, LT and Brees are good friends and came into the league together. LT has always backed Brees, even during the down times.

On another note, it was nice to see the Chargers get some national exposure. It's not often one of their players is interviewed on the national scene.

The Chargers are in an enviable position because they don't just have cap room for next year. They have oodles of it, which gives them, as Smith said, "options -- lots of options." The club could simply let Brees' contract expire, making him an unrestricted free agent. Or it could try to re-sign him. Or it could protect him by exercising its "franchise" designation. Or it could make him its "franchise" player, then shop him until it found the right deal.

San Diego's best scenario, front-office executives agree, is to make Brees the "franchise" player and try to trade him -- much as Washington did with cornerback Champ Bailey last year or Buffalo did with wide receiver Peerless Price the year before. That way the Chargers gain something for a quarterback who doesn't appear to figure in their future.

From CBS Sportsline three weeks ago...

At least 23 million under the cap next year (calculated at this years cap number).

Brees, as a franchise contract would eat 9 mil of that. A big hit on a team that is improving and could get a few FAs to come in and upgrade even more.

Dallas for example, has two #1s next year and needs a QB. I don't know if Brees is a good fit with the Tuna though!?!? That is assuming that teams consider Brees worth a #1. He was taken with the first pick in the second round. To be honest, he does have some limitations, i.e. height and arm strength for the mid to deep out patterns.

He will be tagged and traded. Rivers and Brees have the same agent, so they will work something out.

The skinny so far is Green Bay, Chicago, Dallas and Oakland. Oakland is out because the organizations hate each other. That would only happen if Brees was let go clean.

The Chargers are in an enviable position because they don't just have cap room for next year. They have oodles of it, which gives them, as Smith said, "options -- lots of options." The club could simply let Brees' contract expire, making him an unrestricted free agent. Or it could try to re-sign him. Or it could protect him by exercising its "franchise" designation. Or it could make him its "franchise" player, then shop him until it found the right deal.

San Diego's best scenario, front-office executives agree, is to make Brees the "franchise" player and try to trade him -- much as Washington did with cornerback Champ Bailey last year or Buffalo did with wide receiver Peerless Price the year before. That way the Chargers gain something for a quarterback who doesn't appear to figure in their future.

From CBS Sportsline three weeks ago...

576795[/snapback]

Thanx DMD. I'd missed that.

Edited by Big Score 1

Why would anyone give anything more than maybe a 2nd round pick for him? Everyone knows the Chargers situation; they could just wait it out. Giving the Chargers a 1st round pick for Brees would be stupid when they will more than likely release him than pay 2 QB's 7-8 mill next year.

Also while Brees may be having a good year with the Chargers is anyone ready to say he is a franchise type QB? No way............

Why would anyone give anything more than maybe a 2nd round pick for him? Everyone knows the Chargers situation; they could just wait it out. Giving the Chargers a 1st round pick for Brees would be stupid when they will more than likely release him than pay 2 QB's 7-8 mill next year.

Also while Brees may be having a good year with the Chargers is anyone ready to say he is a franchise type QB? No way............

576996[/snapback]

[/quote

i agree. i'm a Charger fan and its not as simple as thinking the light in Brees's head just went on this year. he is obviously a much improved QB now, but the organization revamped the Offensive Line and its been very good. And having Antonio Gates come on is an awesome weapon for a QB. you give a lot of QBs protection and weapons like Tomlinson, Gates, and now McCardell and many of them'll do well. i'm very happy with what he's done this year and i hope there's some way he can stay because the thought of breaking up something that's finally working in SD is too much to bare. but i wonder what other organizations really think of Brees.

Why would anyone give anything more than maybe a 2nd round pick for him?  Everyone knows the Chargers situation; they could just wait it out.  Giving the Chargers a 1st round pick for Brees would be stupid when they will more than likely release him than pay 2 QB's 7-8 mill next year.

Also while Brees may be having a good year with the Chargers is anyone ready to say he is a franchise type QB?  No way............

576996[/snapback]

Let's call this the AJ Feeley lesson ... I do, however, think Brees will be a better acquisition than AJ has been. Funny thing is, I liked Miami's move -- thought it showed moxy to go get the guy they liked ... turned out to be dufus.

If Brees takes them deep into the playoffs, with their cap situation they'll keep him and give Rivers one more year to mature.

577437[/snapback]

I think this to be true.

Betting Cincy is wishing they'd done the same with Kitna starting one more year and working Carson in slowly during the appropriate parts of games ... they'd be in playoff contention and still be developing the QB of the future ...