[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mimimum Expectations for Studliness

Donutrun Jellies

Whenever someone says "oh, he's a 1000 yard back" I cringe. That was a mark of greatness that worked in a 10 game season, was okay in a 12 game season, was weaker in 14, and I think hoses in 16 ... Should we really be heaping accolades on guys who average 63 yards per game? Shouldn't 1000 yards a season be the threshold of mediocrity for a starter and you need to get to 1300 for praise and above 1600 for glory?

Similar for QB's "he's on track for over 3000 yards" ... Hello, that's only 200 per game ... That ought to be mediocre. Ring me at 4000.

:D Where'd that rant come from? :D

I agree. I was impressed when Ricky williams did it in 10 games before going out for the regular season in his second year. That's an average of 100 per game. Maybe we should look at it like that. 1600 yards in a season is the minimum requirment to be a stud RB. If your injured for 3 games you better get out there and make it up!...lol

I couldn't agree more, backup running backs can amass 500 to 600 yards a year in garbage time, so why is 1000 such a milestone for a back? Especially if he's toting the rock 25 times a game?

I think the 1000 yard mark being a benchmark for a running back will fail to be nearly as valid once Vick has his first 1000 yard rushing season...

:D

If I remember correctly, there was a lot of discussion about this last year too.

Pretty sure it boiled down to just about anyone can get 1000 but the really good ones (read: studs) get you 1300 or more and no less than 10 TD's as a minimum.

Also, in this day and age of giving points for receptions, stud category doesn't really get reached until you are looking at 1800+ overall at the very least.

Personally, if my guy gets me 1700+ overall, 16 total TD's, and 40+ receptions.... I will come back for more the next year. :D

The majic number for me is 1500. That won't make an RB top five, but he will be top ten. The only time 1000 means much is when you are talking about someone like Martin, hitting that mark ten years in a row. That shows durability, something the Taylors and S Davis's could never do.