[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Commissioners lend my your ear ...

Grits and Shins

Here is the relevant section from our rules:

• It will be the owners’ responsibility to enter his starting lineup on our myfantasyleagues.com website each week.  If an owner is having difficulty with the website or the website is unavailable he must communicate his lineup to the commissioner before the start of any relevant games.  If an owner fails to submit a lineup before the last game of the week kicks off (usually Monday night), his lineup from the previous week will be used.

• Owners may make lineup changes on the website up until the last game of the week (usually Monday night) has begun.  Once a player’s game has started his status as a starter or bench player is locked and can not be changed.  This means that line changes can be made on Monday if they are made before the kick off of the game and if they involve only players that will be playing in the Monday night game.

This week I got 2 notes from 2 different owners:

Owner 1 sent me a note Thursday Nov 25 saying "I forgot to turn in my line-up on time, but would my line-up from last week carry over for my starting this week? Obviously I would have started Marvin."

He has started Marvin every week.

Owner 2 sent me a note this morning saying "When I submitted my lineup at 11:37 Thursday, the first game had already begun. Brandon Stokley was "locked non-starter". I cursed under my breath and played my second best option Travis Taylor. I looked at Week 11 line-up and saw Brandon was a STARTER in week 11.

Stokley should have been "locked starter" when I submitted my line-up after the game had begun. It appears Owner 1 had the same problem with Harrison. Should I bench Taylor at this point and clean up later? Urgent reply requested.

He picked Stokley up off the waiver wire after week 3 and has started him 3 out of 7 weeks, including week 11 (but did not start him weeks 10 or 9).

What bothers me about this whole scenario is that I don't like the thought someone can see the Thursday games and decide to "take last week's lineup" or make changes because his Thursday player(s) didn't do well.

What to do?

Unless the owner changed thier lineups, the site would automatically keep the same lineup, right? I know that Sprtsline and RTS are like this.... if you dont change the lineup, it will remain the same. Does MFL automatically reset the starting lineup each week? If MFL operates the same way as CBS and RTS do, then he must have changed his lineup during the week.

I agree with the consensus. The Stokely owner is SOL. Had he sent you an email Thursday at 11:30 when he discovered that Stokley couldn't be started he might have a case otherwise he's SOL.

One idea for you though.

Amend your rule.

Rather than allowing your owners to use last weeks lineup of they fail to get a lineup in this week, make them submit a lineup every week. If they don't submit a lineup then they forfiet.

I know that Fantasy Football isn't the most important priority in their lives but most leagues play for money and I think taking the time to at least submit a lineup each week is the least an owner can do. Barring extreme circumstances.

Unless the owner changed thier lineups, the site would automatically keep the same lineup, right? I know that Sprtsline and RTS are like this.... if you dont change the lineup, it will remain the same. Does MFL automatically reset the starting lineup each week? If MFL operates the same way as CBS and RTS do, then he must have changed his lineup during the week.

578411[/snapback]

This is what I'm asking also.. Do you have to set a line-up EVERY week? Looks like they were tinkering with it Tuesday and Wed if this is the case.. We had a similiar situation where the guy didn't hit "submit" and left a stud on the bench (after a bye week). we KNEW he MEANT to start him but he wasn't in the line-up so SOL..

There is no "I meant to....." or "I always played this guy before....".

There is the lineup as it is when the games start and that's it, period. It takes two minutes tops to set a lineup. MFL allows changes to players right up to the start of their games, it doesn't force a complete lineup lock at the start of the first game of the week (unless your league has that option).

Tough - SOL to both of them.

No notes after the fact. Had he e-mailed you on Thursday morning that he wanted Brandon to carry over, then your covered. He should have done this instead of setting his line-up without Stokely

The first owner made no line-up changes. While I don't particularly like this scenario either, either way it turned out he would have had to take Harrison's output. Then again, I would say to him that, based on the rules, he would have to make no line-up changes in order for this to take effect. The rules seem to state that last week's line-up will only be used if no changes are made before the monday night game, right? It doesn't seem to be position specific.

Unfortunately, I think you have to go with the letter of the rules on this one. Owner 2 SOL, owner 1 SOL if he wants to adjust his line-up otherwise.

if they didn't contact you BEFORE the lineups (or particular players) were due, then I wouldn't step in. My rule is and always has been - so long as you get in touch with me more than 5 minutes before the start of a game to report a problem, I will try to help you out. Peeps should know the rules - their bad if they don't.

mfl does not hold your lineup week after week. you have to select who you want...

578463[/snapback]

Well, that makes it easy. If Stokely and Harrison were starters last week, they are the starters this week, as per the by laws. There has to be some amending of the by laws here for sure, to account for Thursday and Saturday games in the future. I think the fact that MFL does not hold lineups is a problem, one I would ask them to change. That would prevent further shannanigans in the future. The by laws state these guys can do this, so, even though it's a loophole, I think you just have to live with it for this week, but get the by laws changed ASAP.

:D I'm getting several complaints myself because an owner was somehow able to set his lineup after the Colts game and had Harrison in. He too has started him every week. Of course, the people that need him to lose are the ones complaining. Just another glitch in the server we have been using.

Personally, I'm so sick of people not setting lineups I would say they are SOL. you can't keep everyone happy so you just have to be consistent. In order to use the "last weeks lineup" thing, they should not be able to start anyone at any other position any different than last week too.

So the way I see it these are your options...

1. If they use the last weeks lineup theory, they can't change anyone else either.

2. Tell them they are SOL, they didn't set their lineup ( not in those words...lol), so those players are locked.

Well, that makes it easy. If Stokely and Harrison were starters last week, they are the starters this week, as per the by laws. There has to be some amending of the by laws here for sure, to account for Thursday and Saturday games in the future. I think the fact that MFL does not hold lineups is a problem, one I would ask them to change. That would prevent further shannanigans in the future. The by laws state these guys can do this, so, even though it's a loophole, I think you just have to live with it for this week, but get the by laws changed ASAP.

578494[/snapback]

Read the by-laws again. They do not say that.

Team one, should have his previous weeks line up inserted and team 2 is full of shiat!! Had i wanted Stokley in my line up on Thursday, you would have recieved and email at the time i wanted him inserted , thereby giving me some documentation of my request that reflected the time, to cry wolf a few days later is absurd!!

Owner 2 is SOL since he submitted a lineup. Late.

As dopey as it may be, under your current rules, it seems that Owner 1 now has the option of submitting NO lineup for this week & thus reverting to last week's starters, which gets him Marvin's points. A loophole to be sure, but at the moment, it appears he has that option. If he chooses to submit a new lineup today, he loses Marvin's points.

Edited by ts

Funny how we all commish differently. I would give team A Marvin & team B Stokely. Team B didn't submit a lineup, and started Stokely the week before, therefore, IMO, he gets Stokely. Once the game started, and the owner hadn't taken out Stokely, that, right there, locks in Stokely.

It seems to me, many commishes and owners alike, can't wait to scream "Na, na. . .you fu(ked up!" :DB):D :violin: :D

As a commish, I make decisions based on "what common sense says I should do, as opposed to what the rules tell me I must do". When all the owners have a commish they trust to be consistent with the few decisions that need to be made, the league runs very smoothly. Don't get me wrong, I will take opinions, but the owners, pretty much know the answer I will give before they call me.

Edited by Ramhock

Actually both owners have submitted partial lineups now ... despite what owner 1 said ... he went ahead and submitted a lineup short one player.

578540[/snapback]

The only fair thing to do is to strictly apply the rules - they're both stuck with what they submitted.

No notes after the fact. Had he e-mailed you on Thursday morning that he wanted Brandon to carry over, then your covered.  He should have done this instead of setting his line-up without Stokely

The first owner made no line-up changes.  While I don't particularly like this scenario either, either way it turned out he would have had to take Harrison's output.  Then again, I would say to him that, based on the rules, he would have to make no line-up changes in order for this to take effect.  The rules seem to state that last week's line-up will only be used if no changes are made before the monday night game, right?  It doesn't seem to be position specific.

Unfortunately, I think you have to go with the letter of the rules on this one.  Owner 2 SOL, owner 1 SOL if he wants to adjust his line-up otherwise.

578477[/snapback]

I agree with Nick. Its all or nothing. Team #1 uses last week's lineup providing he does not submit a lineup before kickoff on Monday night.

Team #2 submitted a lineup, therefore precluding him from carrying over last week's lineup.

If you want to have a "carry over" provision, might it not be best to trigger it if a lineup has not been submitted by kickoff of the first game of the week?

Actually both owners have submitted partial lineups now ... despite what owner 1 said ... he went ahead and submitted a lineup short one player.

578540[/snapback]

Oops. Neither's lineup from last week should carry over.

I'd like to agree with Ramhock, but I think that once you start interpreting an owners intent, of what he meant to or would have done, you're going down a slippery slope.

It probably only works in those pot smoking hippy leagues that Ramhock undoubtely is in. :D