[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Clinton Portis

Skrappy1

In a post game interview Gibbs said he was fine.

580067[/snapback]

Yeah he said he's fine and healthy.

I also saw this today:

Portis had just six carries for 17 yards in Sunday's loss to the Steelers. He also had just one catch for no yards.

A fantasy disaster for Portis owners, who knew this would be a brutal matchup, but even this was a pure dud for a guy who's supposed to be one of fantasy's elite. The only solace for Portis owners looking at the low carries is it had more to do with footing problems on the sloppy Heinz Field surface. Portis even missed a full drive or two while trying to have his cleats lengthened. The matchups should get easier for Portis down the stretch (save for one against the Eagles), though his owners continue to get hurt by the Redskins' poor offensive line play and overall offensive ineptitude. His numbers aren't bad, but we bet they'd be a lot better in Denver.

So maybe he wasn't just pulled for Betts. Who knows. Plus like it says other than Philly he has some good matchups the last 5 weeks. I start 2 between Edge, Lewis, and Portis and with Edge a given I wouldn't mind starting Portis in some of those good matchups. On top of that I have all 3 already on my team next year. Lets hope for BIG rebounds back to the top 5 for Lewis and Portis, and for Edge to go some where and get some TD's.

Edited by giantsfan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll bet he's not this morning.

580072[/snapback]

Given that Bailey has as many INTs as Portis does TDs, that Bailey leads the team in tackles, that Droughns is producing, and that his team is 7-4 and poised to either win the division or earn a Wild Card, I don't think that Mike's feeling too bad overall.

I agree.  Gibbs is a much bigger problem than Portis.  Sad to say, but Gibbs' time in football is over.  He's not the coach he once was.

579582[/snapback]

Come on. Gibbs gets a pass as long as he is on the sidelines. He is THE MAN in DC. It is going to take him a year to get back into the swing and correct his mistakes. The bigger problem with the team is the O-Line and the QB that we paid $40 mill to. It has been a tough year, but I firmly believe that Gibbs will turn it around. We have a grat D that has not had its full LB crew all year and we have had a make shift O-Line. I guess I am an optimist, but I think Coach can turn it around.

Given that Bailey has as many INTs as Portis does TDs, that Bailey leads the team in tackles, that Droughns is producing, and that his team is 7-4 and poised to either win the division or earn a Wild Card, I don't think that Mike's feeling too bad overall.

580187[/snapback]

Yeah he's thrilled Bailey was punked again.

Yeah he's thrilled Bailey was punked again.

580403[/snapback]

I think that he's more thrilled that he's not paying Portis $50 million to do the same things that Droughns is doing for next to nothing. On top of that, he got one of the better CBs in the league after his secondary got torched for 5 TDs in the playoffs last year.

As bad as Bailey has been on national TV, it's difficult to argue that Denver's not a better team this year.

I think that he's more thrilled that he's not paying Portis $50 million to do the same things that Droughns is doing for next to nothing.  On top of that, he got one of the better CBs in the league after his secondary got torched for 5 TDs in the playoffs last year.

As bad as Bailey has been on national TV, it's difficult to argue that Denver's not a better team this year.

580779[/snapback]

He got lucky with Droughns, pure and simple so please don't act like Droughns is additional proof of the genius of skeletor. He watched his secondary and Bailey specifically get torched for 3 TDs last night although it looked like Bailey though he had help over the middle on the 3rd one.

Denver may be a better team than last year, my only point is Bailey ain't that great.

Okay now we are going too far on Portis. In my league before yesterday he was 11th and even after yesterday he is the 15th ranked RB. What people expected no, but not just a total waste. The man has NO OL and NO QB. So while he hasn't gotten the job done lets not act like he's a scrub now and can't be good again next year with a healthy OL and better QB play.

Okay now we are going too far on Portis. In my league before yesterday he was 11th and even after yesterday he is the 15th ranked RB. What people expected no, but not just a total waste. The man has NO OL and NO QB. So while he hasn't gotten the job done lets not act like he's a scrub now and can't be good again next year with a healthy OL and better QB play.

580861[/snapback]

i'm just saying he wasn't worth a 1st round pick...

He got lucky with Droughns, pure and simple so please don't act like Droughns is additional proof of the genius of skeletor.  He watched his secondary and Bailey specifically get torched for 3 TDs last night although it looked like Bailey though he had help over the middle on the 3rd one.

Denver may be a better team than last year, my only point is Bailey ain't that great.

580839[/snapback]

How many times does Shanny have to get "lucky" with his RB's before people realize it is his system?

and on Bailey,he is good enough to where he guards his man (usually the best WR on the other team) with no help....he makes it easier on the whole defense..he is much more important that Portis ever thought about being for the Broncos..

I tell you who don't get no love around the league at CB but is having a fantastic year is Smoot.

580779[/snapback]

Hmmmm well then Denver better not make the playoff's when all the games are televised nationwide.

It could really get ugly then.................

I never said he is a scrub..fantasy value.

and his fantasy value is gettin worst. especially in a td heavy league.

that team is all messed up not portis. the time he rushes for over 100yrd they won

580880[/snapback]

I hear you. All I'm saying is with better QB play, and a healthy OL he will be back to a top RB next year. All he's missing this year are the TD's because he'll get his 1300 to 1400 yards. And with that D and Gibbs as coach you'd have to think the O will improve which means so will Portis.

Edited by giantsfan

He got lucky with Droughns, pure and simple so please don't act like Droughns is additional proof of the genius of skeletor. 

580839[/snapback]

Lucky? Are you kidding me?! :D

Apparently he was equally "lucky" with Mike Anderson and Olandis Gary. :D

Portis is a better back than all of the aforementioned guys, but the fact remains that Denver has (and has had) one of the best run-blocking lines in the league and can run the ball effectively with backup-quality halfbacks.

He watched his secondary and Bailey specifically get torched for 3 TDs last night although it looked like Bailey though he had help over the middle on the 3rd one.

Agreed that Bailey did not play well last night, but he WAS playing in a snowstorm, Collins WAS dead accurate with those deep passes, and Denver WAS NOT generating much of a pass rush.

Even if Bailey "ain't that great," he's still one of the better corners in the league. At the very least, he's a significant upgrade over what they had before. If you'll recall, Denver's secondary completely fell apart in the playoffs last year.

Edited by Bill Swerski

I hear you. All I'm saying is with better QB play, and a healthy OL he will be back to a top RB next year. All he's missing this year are the TD's because he'll get his 1300 to 1400 yards. And with that D and Gibbs as coach you'd have to think the O will improve which means so will Portis.

580896[/snapback]

I agree GiantsFan...Portis is not to blame for the year the Redskins are having...the major blame goes to the offensive line who have their QB's thinking they have only 2 seconds to throw the ball..when they(their QB's) get time they don't expect to have time so they still make bad throws.....Gibbs will get a line to gel...this mess is not his fault..he is just using what he has got..I think judging him by this year is a mistake.

He got lucky with Droughns, pure and simple so please don't act like Droughns is additional proof of the genius of skeletor.  He watched his secondary and Bailey specifically get torched for 3 TDs last night although it looked like Bailey though he had help over the middle on the 3rd one.

580839[/snapback]

Right!! Just like he got lucky with Portis, Anderson, Davis, etc. He's just the luckiest guy that ever lived. It's certainly not because the first thing he did was go out and hire the best O-line coach in the game, or that he might actually be a decent coach. Nope....your right...it's pure luck. :D

I agree GiantsFan...Portis is not to blame for the year the Redskins are having...the major blame goes to the offensive line who have their QB's thinking they have only 2 seconds to throw the ball..when they(their QB's) get time they don't expect to have time so they still make bad throws.....Gibbs will get a line to gel...this mess is not his fault..he is just using what he has got..I think judging him by this year is a mistake.

580913[/snapback]

I agree. Lets also remember the cornerstone of that line Jansen went down for the year in the preseason. Take a T like that off a line and see what happens. Add that in with Brunell being awful and there you go. To be honest with you the ONLY place I get on Gibbs is Brunell. Not only wasn't he worth the money, but he should have been benched MANY games ago for Ramsey. I don't know if it was pride that made Gibbs stay with Brunell, but that's where I get on him. Brunell should have been benched after game 5 or 6 at the most. My other fear for the Skins is with ALL these big name guys they've signed over the past few years when will their salary cap pay back come? It has to with all the HUGE signing bonuses they've given out the past 2 or 3 years.

If Shanny didn't get lucky with Droughns someone explain to me:

1.  Why Droughns was a fullback to start the season;

2.  Why the Broncos brought in Hearst in the offseason; and,

3.  Started with Griffin for the first 4 weeks of the season?

Give me a break.

580928[/snapback]

Is it any different than how he got lucky with Terrell Davis,Orlandis Gary,Mike Anderson,Clinton Portis and now Droughns?

after so many times it stops being luck.