[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Clinton Portis

Skrappy1

Hmmmm well then Denver better not make the playoff's when all the games are televised nationwide.

It could really get ugly then.................

580893[/snapback]

Speaking of free agent busts, the Raiders sure took a step forward by throwing money at over-the-hill players like Sapp and Washington. They're doing a hell of a job of contributing to their team's 4-7 record and anchoring that 29th-ranked defense. Mr. "QB Killa" has a whole half sack so far this season! :D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Shanny didn't get lucky with Droughns someone explain to me:

1.  Why Droughns was a fullback to start the season;

2.  Why the Broncos brought in Hearst in the offseason; and,

3.  Started with Griffin for the first 4 weeks of the season?

Give me a break.

580928[/snapback]

1. A better question would be, "How can a journeyman fullback br putting up better numbers than Portis?"

2. Why not? It's not like they had much depth at the position.

3. Because Griffin was their only halfback who both had experience and was healthy at the time.

Face it: Denver's running game succeeds primarily because of their offensive line and coaching.

Edited by Bill Swerski

1.  A better question would be, "How can a journeyman fullback br putting up better numbers than Portis?"

2.  Why not?  It's not like they had much depth at the position.

3.  Because Griffin was their only halfback who both had experience and was healthy at the time.

Face it:  Denver's running game succeeds primarily because of their offensive line and coaching.

580981[/snapback]

This is a Champion of the Obvious statement. The fact that it needed to be said...well...that'sw another story.

The fact is that no back succeeds consistently without a o-line that can create running lanes. The Washington o-line is truly awful. They need 3 in the draft.

Look:

1. You have to give Shanny credit. We can't just sit here and say all luck he's found 5 or 6 very good backs.

2. With that said anyone would be dumb not to realize it's the system. Now Portis is going to gain over 1300 yards this year in Wash with an AWFUL OL, so maybe he's not part of this. But Droughns, to Davis, to Gary, to Anderson, to Portis I mean come on now. Yes you need to have some ability, but the system is the king here.

I think the real reason the Redskins are struggling is the decisions ownership has made over the last few years. You simply cannot run through the number of coaches and schemes they have and expect guys to fit every system. Are they a power running team? Fun N Gun? Trap-blocking team? They've drafted players from 4 different systems, plucked free agents from different teams, and expected them to play well together. No way in hell. Until Danny-boy allows a coach to stick around for a few years and draft players instead of changing coaches like he changes his underwear, they aren't going anywhere. You can throw all the $$ at it you want. The Brunell signing was awful. Simply awful. Didn't they see him in Jax last year?

Look:

1. You have to give Shanny credit. We can't just sit here and say all luck he's found 5 or 6 very good backs.

2. With that said anyone would be dumb not to realize it's the system. Now Portis is going to gain over 1300 yards this year in Wash with an AWFUL OL, so maybe he's not part of this. But Droughns, to Davis, to Gary, to Anderson, to Portis I mean come on now. Yes you need to have some ability, but the system is the king here.

581007[/snapback]

lol...maybe "some people don't get it"....

how many "late round drafted RB's" have excelled in this system....let alone in the NFL?...this goes back to the mid-90's...and several backs have been NFL studs...or fantasy studs with this team...

there really is no argument..

I think the real reason the Redskins are struggling is the decisions ownership has made over the last few years.  You simply cannot run through the number of coaches and schemes  they have and expect guys to fit every system.  Are they a power running team?  Fun N Gun?  Trap-blocking team?  They've drafted players from 4 different systems, plucked free agents from different teams, and expected them to play well together.  No way in hell.  Until Danny-boy allows a coach to stick around for a few years and draft players instead of changing coaches like he changes his underwear, they aren't going anywhere.  You can throw all the $$ at it you want.  The Brunell signing was awful.  Simply awful.  Didn't they see him in Jax last year?

581013[/snapback]

Exactly which is pretty much what I said on page 2 in here I believe. That's where Gibbs can change things though. He can't push Gibbs out or control Gibbs. Assuming the cap isn't an issue what I do is simple. Start Ramsey at QB. Get Jansen and Thomas back on the OL. Draft 2 if not 3 more OL and that's it. If they do that and have another year under Gibbs I think they can be good next year. BUT if they insist on more changes and bringing in more big name guys for more money they will stink again.

Edited by giantsfan

You have to give Shanny credit. We can't just sit here and say all luck he's found 5 or 6 very good backs.

581007[/snapback]

Isn't the question really whether these actually were 6 very good backs, or whether the Denver system makes them look like very good backs?

In either case, Shanny deserves the credit, or at lease a large part of it.

Isn't the question really whether these actually were 6 very good backs, or whether the Denver system makes them look like very good backs?

581022[/snapback]

Agree. IMO anyone who sits on here and says Shanny gets no credit is just not being fair. He gets credit, but the system clearly does as well.

581022[/snapback]

:D IMHO Alex Gibbs deserves the credit. If Shanny can keep his system in place and draft players that fit into that system fine, but these guys blocking for Droughns right now are still Gibbs guys under the Gibbs system. Switzer was great and all but those were Jimmy's teams.

Shanny may or may not be a great head coach. Nothing about the Portis/Bailey trade nor the Droughns success tells me Shanny is a genius. 52 tackles and 3 ints pretty much makes you Terrance Newan so big whoop. Portis has no help and I'll give Gibbs the credit for the system until I see that system succeed without him.

That answers none of my 3 questions.  This theory can be shot down with three words:

1. Alex

2. Gibbs

3. Luck

580974[/snapback]

Right again. Man are you bright. Alex Gibbs, who Shanny hired right away to coach his O-line, and what 6 straight RB's to rush for over 1,000 yds. I don't even think Droughns is that great of RB. The system is just that good!!! Period.

He brought in Hearst as insurance. Believe me, he wouldn't have even made the team except for injuries to the RB's.

:D IMHO Alex Gibbs deserves the credit.  If Shanny can keep his system in place and draft players that fit into that system fine, but these guys blocking for Droughns right now are still Gibbs guys under the Gibbs system.  Switzer was great and all but those were Jimmy's teams.

Shanny may or may not be a great head coach.  Nothing about the Portis/Bailey trade nor the Droughns success tells me Shanny is a genius.  52 tackles and 3 ints pretty much makes you Terrance Newan so big whoop.  Portis has no help and I'll give Gibbs the credit for the system until I see that system succeed without him.

581085[/snapback]

Shanny was smart enough to hire him to start with. Then basically wouldn't let hime retire until he felt comfortable the system would succeed without him, and now that Gibbs is in Atlanta, the system still works.

Bottom line. Shanny created the system pure and simple. He gets all of the credit for their success and therefore all of the blame for their failure. This system includes play calling, certain players at certain positions, etc. Which he continues to create without Gibbs. Gibbs has been basically on the sidelines for the past 2 1/2 years not spending each day coaching the line so he hasn't had a huge impact on their success for awhile now.

Why can't you give credit where credit is due?

Shanny was smart enough to hire him to start with.  Then basically wouldn't let hime retire until he felt comfortable the system would succeed without him, and now that Gibbs is in Atlanta, the system still works.

Bottom line.  Shanny created the system pure and simple.  He gets all of the credit for their success and therefore all of the blame for their failure.  This system includes play calling, certain players at certain positions, etc.  Which he continues to create without Gibbs.  Gibbs has been basically on the sidelines for the past 2 1/2 years not spending each day coaching the line so he hasn't had a huge impact on their success for awhile now.

Why can't you give credit where credit is due?

581269[/snapback]

Me give credit where creidt is due as you try and belittle Alex Gibbs, whatever. You aren't even reading what I'm typing. Besides, Shanahan's what all of 11 games post-Gibbs. Switzer won for two seasons after Jimmy left.

All I've ever said is that if you want to convince me Shanny's a genius you will have to point to more than then RBs and the Portis/Bailey trade.