[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Some things puzzle me about football

giantsfan

Physically gifted tight ends create matchup problems no matter what a defense does.

If you put a linebakcer on them, they out run them.

If you put a safety on them, they out muscle them.

If you commit a double team to them and they stay in to block, you are screwed on the outside.

There is a reason for the uptick in TE production this year. Coverage schemes are set up to stop WRs. Defensive coordinators will adjust.

Physically gifted tight ends create matchup problems no matter what a defense does.

If you put a linebakcer on them, they out run them.

If you put a safety on them, they out muscle them.

If you commit a double team to them and they stay in to block, you are screwed on the outside.

There is a reason for the uptick in TE production this year. Coverage schemes are set up to stop WRs. Defensive coordinators will adjust.

580269[/snapback]

I'm sure that's it, but if you are playing SD, and especially Atl how can you not make it your # 1 goal to shut down the TE. That's what I don't get. You can stop any receiver if you choose to. Double Gates help a bit on Keenan, and leave Parker 1 on 1, but how can these teams continually let Gates get TD's. Atl is even worse because Vick really throws to no one else.

I'm sure that's it, but if you are playing SD, and especially Atl how can you not make it your # 1 goal to shut down the TE. That's what I don't get. You can stop any receiver if you choose to. Double Gates help a bit on Keenan, and leave Parker 1 on 1, but how can these teams continually let Gates get TD's. Atl is even worse because Vick really throws to no one else.

580286[/snapback]

I've wondered this myself. I have Gates, and every week I expect a down week because I figure the other team will just double team him every play, especially in the RZ.

I saw a "coaches' tape" breakdown on Gates where he was double teamed but he is just that good he finds ways to get open. He did a sweet move that resembled a post move down in the blocks and then he just kept running toward the sidelines and he was wide open. This guy has some major talent, he has quick moves, soft hands and great body control. I see this guy being the greatest TE ever when it's all said and done. Peace.

580286[/snapback]

Actually you have just hit on how important balance on offense is. And how the run can set up the pass and vice-versa.

In both instances you are talking about teams that have oustanding run games.

If your opponent can run the ball well you simply can not ignore the that in the Red Zone.

In SD they have the best RB in football right now in LT. So when they are in the redzone you have to play the run. Which means no more than 4 DB's which means Gates will be one-on-one, probably against a LB. If you put a DB on him then McCardell or Parker will get open.

In ATL you have a great RB tandem in Duckett & Dunn, they don't get the press they deserve, and inside the redzone they can run up the gut with Duckett, wide with Dunn or if they drop back to pass then Vick might run it in. So again you have to play run which means no more than 4 DB's and Crumpler is one-on-one, probably against a LB. And as ineffective as the WR's are in ATL, if you ignore them they will burn you.

If you are lucky enough to have a good running game and a great TE then your redzone options are abundant and the defense is in big trouble.

That's why Manning has been so great in the red Zone this year. They have so many options that you simply can not ignore anyone. That spreads a defense to thin.

Then it is up to your QB to be able to find the open guy and more often than not the TE is the one that ends up with the mis-match.

It's a hard thing to defend against because frankly until this year there were only 2-3 TE's that were good enough to create these mis-matches. Now there are 6-7.

Gates

Gonzo

Heap (when healthy)

Witten

Crumpler

Pollard/Clark

If your goal is to shut down Gates, the only way to do that is to double up on him. If you do that, McCardell, Parker, or Osgood will have great one-on-one matchups. You also take away another player from stopping LT. Pick your poison.

And Shockey, and to a lesser extent E. Johnson who's top 5 or so in catches I believe. Bottom line is there are MANY good TE's now when in the past there were 3 or 4 tops. Which in a weird way lowers the value of a Gonzo or Heap. When they were the only show in town they had to be drafted high. Now with so many TE options you can get a good 1 later. I mean Gates, Witten, and EJ either went very late or didn't get drafted in EJ's case in my 12 team TE required league.

You forgot McMichael. He has been great considering the stiffs throwing him the ball.

580349[/snapback]

I agree on McMichaels.

To the guy who mentioned Winslow Jr., I don't necessarily disagree, I'm just withholding judgement until he plays more.

There's also Shockey who may yet develop into this type of TE.

So I would say that Defensive Coordinators all over the country are staying up late looking for the schemes to shut these guys down.

You can't forget Wiggins...

...you can only hope to forget his breakdance moves! :D

580372[/snapback]

Anything that has to do with Jermaine cracks me up completely. You cannot dog on his breakdancing moves, they are better than Turbo, Ozone, and Special-K put together. I hope to be seeing him "popping it out" in my league's playoffs!!!

Ok so the TE list is up to

Gates

Gonzo

Heap (when healthy)

Witten

Crumpler

Pollard/Clark

Johnson

Wiggins

McMichaels

Shockey

And maybe Winslow Jr.

That's 11-12 Top Flight TE's. a little better than 1 team out of every 3 has a TE that makes the defense scheme for them.

I don't necessarily think that findind and utilizing a Top Flight TE is a new idea, I think it's just been a while since there were this many good ones.

Coaches have used this position in this way in the past.

Let's take the list old school.

There used to be

Bavarro

Novacek

Christianson

Coates

Winslow Sr

Who else am I leaving out?

Ok so the TE list is up to

Gates

Gonzo

Heap (when healthy)

Witten

Crumpler

Pollard/Clark

Johnson

Wiggins

McMichaels

Shockey

And maybe Winslow Jr.

That's 11-12 Top Flight TE's. a little better than 1 team out of every 3 has a TE that makes the defense scheme for them.

I don't necessarily think that findind and utilizing a Top Flight TE is a new idea, I think it's just been a while since there were this many good ones.

There used to be

Bavarro

Novacek

Christianson

Coates

Winslow Sr

580583[/snapback]

Ditka

Jackie Smith?

Have you seen Gates catches?

Its not simply on putting people on him. This guys is truley amazing he uses his big body to get position and then not only does he get position but he can jump, turn, tangle, use his hands to catch the ball. It is simply amazing.

He makes catches alot of WRs cant. I am not saying he has better hands than them but he certainly knows how to use his body. The defender will be guarding him and then he will leap turn around and make the catch.

There really is no guarading that. Brees knows where to throw it.

Also to add...that team has so many different formations you rarely see Gates in the same formation twice. Add this on top of his ability and is almost impossible to guard.

Edited by MrTed46

There used to be

Bavarro

Novacek

Christianson

Coates

Winslow Sr

580583[/snapback]

Ozzie Newsome - 662 catches for 7980 yards, 47 TD, 89 catches each in '83 & '84.

Old School TE List:

Bavarro

Novacek

Christianson

Coates

Winslow Sr

Chumura

Ditka

J. Smith

Newsome (How'd I forget OZZIE)

Sharpe

Who else?

581172[/snapback]

HUGE difference is those guys played all different times for the most part. Maybe 3 or 4 around the same time at most. We now have today 10, 11, 12, whatever # of very good receiving TE's. No comparison IMO.

And you forgot B. Jones from the Niners.

Edited by giantsfan

HUGE difference is those guys played all different times for the most part. Maybe 3 or 4 around the same time at most. We now have today 10, 11, 12, whatever # of very good receiving TE's. No comparison IMO.

And you forgot B. Jones from the Niners.

581182[/snapback]

We aren't comparing. We actually already agreed that there is an abundance of excellent TE's right now.

This list is just a look back at some of the great TE's of the past.

A list to which B. Jones has just been added.