[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ACC/Big Ten Challenge

gilthorp

This is one of the things I love about NCAA College Basketball. A few years ago, they started this thing, and it allows two teams that would normally not face each other until March 05 to see who has the goods.

Case in point: Wake Forest vs. Illinois on Wednesday.

Granted, I'm a bit biased since my Fighting Illini are the only good college story for me this year, I must say I watched them put away a normally tough Gonzaga team on Saturday, going up by as much as 38 until they called the dogs off.

They could have easily won that game by 50+ points if they kept their players in the game.

I know Wake Forest is tough, and they have stellar back-court play, so if you are a fan of college hoops, don't miss this game on Wednesday.

Other great matchups IMO are:

MSU vs. Duke

Maryland vs. Wisconsin

:D

A tarheel with a sense of humor.

584641[/snapback]

Alot of Tar Heels are in good spirits lately.

Tonight You'll see why.

Thee ACC starts out 4-1. I was a little suprised to see that Maryland was the one ACC team that went down. The only game that I wanted the ACC to lose was Dook - Mich. St. :D Wake - Illinois should be a great game. Wake is very talented, but I think a little over hyped. Illinois can definately win this one.

For those of you who haven't been paying attention, the Heels have looked like a NCAA Champion in their last 4 games: experienced, talented, deep.

GO HEELS!

Edited by billay

What happened in their first game?

584975[/snapback]

last year this team had 2 main issues: defense and their ego's. They were really cocky, they knew they had talent but they didn't know how to work hard on the court.

They simply didn't show up to the game with Santa Clara, that and they were missing their starting point guard. The absence of Felton in that first game really affected their offense. UNC scored 66 pts against SC. This season with Felton in the lineup they have averaged more than 90 and have broken 100 three times.

Alot of Tar Heels are in good spirits lately. 

Tonight You'll see why.

Thee ACC starts out 4-1.  I was a little suprised to see that Maryland was the one ACC team that went down.  The only game that I wanted the ACC to lose was Dook - Mich. St.  :D Wake - Illinois should be a great game.  Wake is very talented, but I think a little over hyped.  Illinois can definately win this one.

For those of you who haven't been paying attention, the Heels have looked like a NCAA Champion in their last 4 games: experienced, talented, deep.

GO HEELS!

584677[/snapback]

Badgers are always tough at home. Plus, the new guys really stepped up big.

Butch is going to be a monster.

I know...you missed the point. We can't win up there, you can't win down here...but in the Tourny, that'll be our 2nd win! :D

585641[/snapback]

Danm, that's where I was headed too before I changed my reply. :D

But since the tournament is in Chi-town this year, you probably have the home court advantage there too. B)

last year this team had 2 main issues: defense and their ego's.  They were really cocky, they knew they had talent but they didn't know how to work hard on the court. 

They simply didn't show up to the game with Santa Clara, that and they were missing their starting point guard.  The absence of Felton in that first game really affected their offense.  UNC scored 66 pts against SC.  This season with Felton in the lineup they have averaged more than 90 and have broken 100 three times.

585075[/snapback]

As a Duke fan I would say this is due to poor coaching---not having your team ready. I thought Coach Duh was gone? :D

As a Duke fan I would say this is due to poor coaching---not having your team ready.  I thought Coach Duh was gone? :D

585816[/snapback]

Roy had his hands full of ego's when he arrived. I didn't expect that he would get all that undercontrol in 1 season. Now, McCants is the only player that the jury is still out on. He's a Prima donna, and Roy has said openly that if McCants cant play as a team player this year then he mad a mistake in not encouraging McCants to go pro last year.

I heard some speculation that Roy's demeanor at the Santa Clara game was very odd, that he sat on the bench, arms crossed, mouth shut for most of the second half, almost as though, he was seeing how the team would react.

Why ever it happened, the Heels have looked strong since.

I certainly have no doubt in Roy's coaching ability. The team has come a long way in a year and a half. Make no mistake this team will contend for a national title. They're that good.

Impressive performance by my boys tonight...18 points is a lot nicer than it really was. They could have won that game by 40+ if they didn't call off the dogs.

586496[/snapback]

Yes, at one point it almost got to 40. A real ass kicking. I was suprised to see that Wake actually got it inside 20 before it was all over.

Yes, at one point it almost got to 40.  A real ass kicking.  I was suprised to see that Wake actually got it inside 20 before it was all over.

586507[/snapback]

All of the first half damage done with their top guy, D. Williams sitting because of 2 fouls. Looks like they'll live with the 3 and die by the 3 this year, which will win them the Big Ten, but once again they'll not have the low post power to take it all.

Tough to keep up with them with all that speed though...it will be fun to see them play this year--just stay healthy!! :D