[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Drew Brees to remain a Charger

theeohiostate

After one loss everything is ok - after 2 losses the whispers begin - after the 3rd loss people will ask for brees' head on a platter and rivers suddenly will become the second coming of jebus himself...if san diego is angling to trade brees its a good deal, but with brees 1st slip up the whispers will begin...

That's not the problem the Giants have at all. Kurt Warner is on a one year contract. He's gone at the end of the year. Where does 'untradeable' fit in there?

582191[/snapback]

untradeable fits in if brees doesnt perform to what he's done this year, and his past history supports that he could fall apart after one year, if that occurs no one will trade for a qb signed to a one yr contract at a price tag of 8-9million, better to wait and get him cheaper at the end of the season

This smells a little bit ... and only a little bit ... like SF in the old Montana-starting, Young-sitting days...

582794[/snapback]

Yup! And didn't Montana sit behind DeBerg for a couple of seasons? I don't see that as a problem IF they can afford it. Why not sign Brees to a couple/three year deal? This will remove many of the cap hits the Chargers would be taking on River's incentives and partially balance out. I don't have a problem letting Rivers ride the pine for a few years to learn the system, restructure his contract down the road when he will take the reigns and let Brees go somewhere else. It is a win/win.

The Chargers, at least 27 million under the cap next year, are finally escaping from the lunacy of the contracts that killed them for years. When you are paying a 1/4 of your cap to players that are not playing on your team, you are a BAD football organization. I think a lot of the success comes form the new GM, A. J. Smith.

All this said, I still think they will consider trading him if they get the right offer! They could possible have three first rounders next year and two more the following year if they play it right. Rivers looks outstanding in practice (yes, not a real game) but could run this offense as well if not better in the future.

It looks like my Chargers will be having an upswing for the next few years (finally :D ), and I will be enjoying the ride :D

I think a lot of the success comes form the new GM, A. J. Smith.

It looks like my Chargers will be having an upswing for the next few years (finally  :D ), and I will be enjoying the ride  :D

583403[/snapback]

The much-maligned A.J. Smith is running the business side VERY well indeed. And Marty has morphed into a new-milennium (sp?) coach. Who would have EVER predicted THAT!?!?!!

I'm hoping this is a sign of good things to come for a LONG TIME!!!

B)

Edited by Chargerz

Brees earned it this year.  Rivers will have more time to learn how the NFL game is and benefit from having Brees around.  It is a good move for the Chargers to keep him.

582809[/snapback]

Exactly. Starting a Rookie QB right out of the gate can work, but more often than not you are just setting the kid up for failure. A couple of years holding the clipboard is exactly what most young QB's need, in order to learn as much as they can about the league and their role on the team.

Brees is playing well, and the team seems to have some chemistry working for them this year. I think this is the right move all the way around.

This doesn't look like a 1-yr wonder from Brees. His accuracy is superb this year. He's playing smarter by throwing away many balls. Brees is throwing 65% completions right now. Antonio Gates is moving the chains with all those 3rd down catches is a big reason why. The Chargers must be thinking Brees is our QB of the future.

Keeping Rivers makes it a financial mess. I don't know if they can trade him, they'd still have to pay that 14 million signing bonus. Every time Brees has a bad game, fans will be spewing out Rivers. Keeping 2 QBs is a mess, rarely does it benefit your team. Just pick your guy and back him up with a capable oldtimer.

Since the move to 32 teams in 8 divisions, there are only TWO games SD will have that are different than every other team in the division.  They will play either the first place or second place team (with Denver playing the other) from two AFC divisions.

So "schedule" based on last years record is an extremely diminished factor nowadays.

582940[/snapback]

agreed, and besides that with the parity in the nfl now days, you cant tell from yr to yr which teams will be good and which might not be as good as they were projected.

as for brees losing favor with the fans with a few bad games, i dont think so. it would be different except that he is being viewed as the guy who pulled this franchise out of a huge black hole right now and will be givin alot of leeway for being that guy.

Not only is Brees more accurate this year, but he's scanning the field better, looking off defenders, throwing to the "right" guy, and often throwing the ball before his receivers even make a break. It's tough to stop a guy from catching the ball when it's already in his hands right out of the break. I watch the Chargers Power Report every week and Schottenheimer continues to rave about Brees' anticipation and putting the ball where it needs to be. He's also commented on how Brees is much more decisive this year, and because of that, he's throwing with more velocity (instead of "feathering" the ball), and this is yet another reason why the ball is getting into the receivers hands quicker.

Lots of times, you see young QBs throw to WRs after the break and this gives defenders plenty of time to react to the ball and possibly deflect or intercept it. Such is no longer the case with Brees.

Not only is Brees more accurate this year, but he's scanning the field better, looking off defenders, throwing to the "right" guy, and often throwing the ball before his receivers even make a break.  It's tough to stop a guy from catching the ball when it's already in his hands right out of the break.  I watch the Chargers Power Report every week and Schottenheimer continues to rave about Brees' anticipation and putting the ball where it needs to be.  He's also commented on how Brees is much more decisive this year, and because of that, he's throwing with more velocity (instead of "feathering" the ball), and this is yet another reason why the ball is getting into the receivers hands quicker.

Lots of times, you see young QBs throw to WRs after the break and this gives defenders plenty of time to react to the ball and possibly deflect or intercept it.  Such is no longer the case with Brees.

583922[/snapback]

A 180 degree turn from last year! Go figure!!! I STILL don't believe the change!

Brees earned it this year.  Rivers will have more time to learn how the NFL game is and benefit from having Brees around.  It is a good move for the Chargers to keep him.

582809[/snapback]

Yep. Plus, you're always one lineman-rolls-up-the-QB's-leg away from needing the other guy.

Yep.  Plus, you're always one lineman-rolls-up-the-QB's-leg away from needing the other guy.

584118[/snapback]

Yeah, look at what happened to Chicago this year. A quarterback nightmare!!! :eek:

rivers is not just a back up he is the future of the franchise, and that can cause problems...chicago's problem is that they had no type of talent in the backup position ie.trent dilfer...most teams that go in to a season with a set starter and a backup who is labeled the future undergo problems of who should start ie.dallas,giants,buffalo

This is great news for Charger fans, IMO.

They have enough cap room and will franchise Brees for 8-9 million.

If he finished the year strong, he WILL be the starter next season.

.........info provided by Mort on ESPN.

581935[/snapback]

Makes perfect sense to franchise him at this point. Buys them one extra year to see if this year was a fluke or not. They can't extend his contract or sign him to another 3 year deal at this point with Rivers waiting in the wings. Franchise him this year and if after 8 or 9 weeks next year he's still getting it done, then start talking about a long term deal. If Brees turns out to be legit, they can always trade Rivers. I'm sure the Ravens, Cardinals, Browns, Dolphins, Bears, and probably a few other teams would be glad to have him.

I'm guessing Bree's will get the franchise tag also for next year. From a development stand point I think it would be beneficial to have Rivers hold the board for another year. San Diego should have an idea on Rivers by years end even if he doesn't get any substantial playing time. Bree's looks great this year and just by armchair gm I would look seriously at moving Rivers to another team and rolling the dice with Bree's on a new deal. They seem to be gelling and that is with a WR that only has been with the team since about game 4.

As far as strength of schedule speculating goes I think that is a waste of time. The NFL seems to change every week as to who's schedule is tougher.

brees in the last 2 years has thrown for 28td's and 31int and has a qb rating of 72.2 and was benched in favor of doug flutie...the chargers thought enough of him at the begining of the year that they drafted a QB with their #1 pick - it would be a mistake to appoint him as the future after one solid season-if they do resign him it should be for the sole intention of trading him

brees in the last 2 years has thrown for 28td's and 31int and has a qb rating of 72.2 and was benched in favor of doug flutie...the chargers thought enough of him at the begining of the year that they drafted a QB with their #1 pick - it would be a mistake to appoint him as the future after one solid season-if they do resign him it should be for the sole intention of trading him

584310[/snapback]

What's funny is SD couldn't even get a 7th round pick for Bree's last year prior to the draft. Anyway, the history with Bree's is not compelling but what he has done this year is. Hard to blindly roll the dice on just 10 or 11 games but what I have seen of him is a very good QB this year. Not even the same guy...It's not the first QB that sucked his first couple of years and moved on to have a successful career.

If you had Tater Bell in Denver right now who you spent a #2 on what would you do with him? Me, I would be shopping him in the off-season. He was the heir apparent also.

584310[/snapback]

Your post shows how important a players team around them is to their individual success. The team is vastly improved in almost every area this season, that helps out the play of Brees. He has much more time in the pocket to throw the ball this season than last. Remember how LT had 100 receptions last year? Those all weren't by design and Brees was usually forced to dump the ball of the the RB because he was getting pressured and had to quickly get the ball to the closest person.

Another reason for Brees' better interception stats this year is because of some luck. The last 2 seasons it seemed like every tipped ball was caught by the other team and they would never drop an interception. This season balls that I thought would be intercepted were dropped and tipped balls that sky upwards aren't landing in the other teams hands.

All of this is assisting to him becoming so much better, but let's realize that it takes some QBs longer than others to learn how to play the toughest position in professional sports. He's finally learned.

Agreed Count....Brees was probably always a good QB(I always thought so) but we just never got to see it because of his supporting cast..now we can see it and I don't know about you, but it seems pretty obvious that Brees is the QB of the now and the future of the Chargers....I thought taking Rivers when they did in the draft was as bad a move as the getting Tomlinson (and some) for Vick was good for the franchise from the start..he was taken way to high......and like others said on here the cap hit they would take in any trade of Rivers would hurt the team....looks like the Chargers are gonna be giving up a whole lotta money to QB's the next few years.