[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What is going on in Jacksonville?

CaptainHook

Just wondering why fans aren't supporting an up-and-coming team? Check this out:

Thanks to an expected invasion of Pittsburgh fans, the Jaguars' crucial Sunday night game against the Steelers is sold out for television purposes and will be shown locally.

The nationally televised contest, which kicks off at 8:30 p.m. on ESPN, will be just the second regular-season Jaguars home game broadcast locally this year. Four other games at Alltel Stadium have been blacked out, including each of the past three.

Although single tickets for the Pittsburgh game are still available, Jaguars spokesman Dan Edwards said the team reached the blackout threshold of 59,000 non-premium seats several weeks ago -- thanks largely to the resurgent Steelers (now 10-1) and their fans.

With the help of the Steelers, the Jaguars even marketed the game directly to Pittsburgh season-ticket holders this summer. Jacksonville officials now expect more than 5,000 Steelers fans to be in the crowd.

"There's going to be a lot of them,'' said Edwards.

The Jaguars will wear their all-black uniforms Sunday for the only time this season.

We've had the same problem this year in San Diego. The only sell-out so far this year was the Oakland game, and that was because of all the crazed Oakland fans invading Qualcomm stadium. Years of mediocrity in San Diego have produced apathy that's hard to reverse. This Sunday's Denver game is sold out, but the last home game of the season versus Kansas City is STILL not a sell-out.

We're a very small market with a very large stadium. That's really all there is too it.

I love living in Northern Florida, but in all honesty, now that I know the area as well as I do, I'm shocked that Jacksonville was awarded an NFL franchise. This isn't a city. It's a town. It's a BIG town, but it's still a town.

I am not sure what you mean as local. I have never known a Vikings game to be blacked out. I live 100 miles (Iowa) away so that may be the reason.

583543[/snapback]

Pre-1998 or so, Vikings games were routinely blacked out. They couldn't give tix away. Blackouts are to a 35 mile radius of the stadium, so you would not have been affected.

Pre-1998 or so, Vikings games were routinely blacked out.  They couldn't give tix away.  Blackouts are to a 35 mile radius of the stadium, so you would not have been affected.

583780[/snapback]

Pretty sure it's 75 miles, not 35.

There has not been a televised game here in Phoenix in the 5 years that I have been here. I thnk they sold out their last home game of the season in '98 which was the year that they went to the playoffs for the first and only time since relocating to the desert. It is a shame more fans do not go to the games, but like Chargerz said, years of mediocrity are hard to reverse. At least Jacksonville will not have to worry about a sell out at Alltel Stadium in February. That one is a given, although it is a long shot that they'll be the ones playing in it.

In Los Angeles they were actually considering the Chargers to be the home team, and there were a few times where we got 'blacked out' which mornally isn't abig deal, except that they got this to take for the NFL Ticket a few times. I know for a fact we couldn't get the Ten/SD game earlier this year.

Could be, with SD and JAX, a couple things. Maybe apathy due to years of mediocrity or the fact that they're winning ugly and people just don't believe the winning will continue.

I'm not a Bucs season ticket holder but I go to every game I can and it wasn't but a few years ago that I stopped going as often because they killed me with frustration everytime I went. They were doing it to me on TV as well but it's a whole lot easier to take when you don't have to take that long walk back to the car followed by the long drive home.