[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Clinton Portis

Favreforlife

A lot depends on what changes Washington makes in the offseason. New QB? New coach? I think he has definitely fallen out of the first round and looks more like a #2 RB. But an improved passing game and more wide open offensive scheme could move him back to a low first rounder IMO.

I think he remains a 1st round pick. With Ramsey at the helm, and a healthier O-line, he could have a very strong year next year. He is one of those players that people on draft day might be scared of that I like to go after early in the 2nd round, or even late in the 1st round.

I think he remains a 1st round pick.  With Ramsey at the helm, and a healthier O-line, he could have a very strong year next year.  He is one of those players that people on draft day might be scared of that I like to go after early in the 2nd round, or even late in the 1st round.

584973[/snapback]

I agree with this. IF they improve their OL he is clearly worthy of stud status. Also their line gets better right off the bat when they get Jansen back who got hurt for the season in the preseason. Losing a T like that is VERY tough on a team. Add in Samuels at the other T and Thomas at G and to me all they need is a C and a G. If they can add both through FA or the draft then to me Portis will be a top 5 RB again. Lets remember this. In most leagues he's still a top 15 or so RB even though he's had an AWFUL year by everyone's admission. PLUS he's still on pace for 1375 rushing yards again in an AWFUL year. If they add some OL and play Ramsey along with Coles and Gardner at WR, and have a still very good offensive coach in Gibbs Portis should be back next year.

Edited by giantsfan

I had Portis his rookie year, and what a year. I got him again this year and have been very disappointed. I agree, the OL must improve. He has had good games but not as consistant as in the past. I will shy away next year. Knowing my luck someone will gamble on him and he will have a record year.

I agree with this. IF they improve their OL he is clearly worthy of stud status. Also their line gets better right off the bat when they get Jansen back who got hurt for the season in the preseason. Losing a T like that is VERY tough on a team. Add in Samuels at the other T and Thomas at G and to me all they need is a C and a G. If they can add both through FA or the draft then to me Portis will be a top 5 RB again. Lets remember this. In most leagues he's still a top 15 or so RB even though he's had an AWFUL year by everyone's admission. PLUS he's still on pace for 1375 rushing yards again in an AWFUL year. If they add some OL and play Ramsey along with Coles and Gardner at WR, and have a still very good offensive coach in Gibbs Portis should be back next year.

584999[/snapback]

Very nice! Thanks giantsfan

No back, I don't care who they are, is going to be productive when they are constanty getting hit in the backfield.

Washington should regain their probowl lineman next year. If I were Gibbs I would spend my first 2 picks on linemen, and then throw up a small school flying in round 4-5. Ramsey will be fine if he's not getting killed, and so will Portis.

For that mattter, I might be shopping for a better line coach if I were Gibbs.

No back, I don't care who they are, is going to be productive when they are constanty getting hit in the backfield.

585299[/snapback]

Agreed. Talent-wise, Portis may be one of the Top 5 backs in the league, but he can't do much with that surrounding cast.

Portis will be a high second-tier back next year. What will keep him out first-tier status is the fact that the 'Skins line absolutely sucks. Even with Jansen's return, their line is mediocre at best. They weren't able to run the ball effectively or provide adequate pass blocking for Ramsey, even with a healthy Jansen.

Danny Boy has loaded his team with high-priced vets that either don't produce up to expectations (Arrington, Coles, Portis) or don't produce at all (Brunell, Barrow, Springs). Since these guys don't allow for an cap flexability, I don't see how they're going to fix their problems on offensive line by next year. Like Nick said, their best bet right now is to spend their first two draft picks on linemen and try to hire a better OL coach.

I think it's pretty simple. If their OL improves in the off season then Portis will be a top 10 pick next year when fantasy drafts come around. If it doesn't and they only get Jansen back he should be an early to mid 2nd rounder. Lets just remember in a "bad" year he's still a top 15 or so RB, and is on pace for 1375 rushing yards.

Edited by giantsfan

Agreed.  Talent-wise, Portis may be one of the Top 5 backs in the league, but he can't do much with that surrounding cast.

Portis will be a high second-tier back next year.  What will keep him out first-tier status is the fact that the 'Skins line absolutely sucks.  Even with Jansen's return, their line is mediocre at best.  They weren't able to run the ball effectively or provide adequate pass blocking for Ramsey, even with a healthy Jansen.

Danny Boy has loaded his team with high-priced vets that either don't produce up to expectations (Arrington, Coles, Portis) or don't produce at all (Brunell, Barrow, Springs).  Since these guys don't allow for an cap flexability, I don't see how they're going to fix their problems on offensive line by next year.  Like Nick said, their best bet right now is to spend their first two draft picks on linemen and try to hire a better OL coach.

585375[/snapback]

I just read your quote. I agree with some of what you say, but find a better OL coach than Bugle....No Way. They need to build a line and not buy one. Buges will get it straightened out soon enough. Jansen, Samuels and Brown should be a pretty good cast of OL next year.

I think it's pretty simple. If their OL improves in the off season then Portis will be a top 10 pick next year when fantasy drafts come around. If it doesn't and they only get Jansen back he should be an early to mid 2nd rounder. Lets just remember in a "bad" year he's still a top 15 or so RB, and is on pace for 1375 rushing yards.

585529[/snapback]

I think there is a lot to be said about consistency. If they don't change any player from the o-line (besides getting Jansen back) I think this line improves. I will however say that it is definitely time for a new o-line coach. I thought it was Bugle, but must be mistaken because whoever it is blows.

Earlier in the year I argued vehemently with Swerski, that Portis would be good THIS year.

Boy was I wrong. :D:D

However, I think (fingers crossed) that Gibbs & the Skins get the O'Line fixed. Still, most people will be scared sheetless to draft him, based on how he's performed this year. So, IMO, Portis probably ends up being a relative value pick next year.

Now if Gibbs & the Skins don't do anything to shore up the O'Line this off season, all Portis prognostications are off!

I am a Ladell Betts owner in a dynasty league, and I for one, found it interesting that he actually produced last week and Portis could not.

Anyone think that Betts will see more time down the stretch?

Earlier in the year I argued vehemently with Swerski, that Portis would be good THIS year.

Boy was I wrong. :D:D

586474[/snapback]

Even I didn't foresee this coming. I figured that he'd end up with maybe 1,300 rushing yds, 9 total TDs, and about a 4.4 yds/carry average. FWIW, he'll probably get the 1,300 rushing yds.

Things will get somewhat better for him next year, but they currently have too many holes on that offense for him to return to elite status that soon. IMO, he'll be a decent early/mid 2nd-round pick and put up respectable Rudi Johnson-type numbers.

When you say new lineman/coach often that is not the problem.

Pittsburgh is a prime example...... same line and coach as last year and

they went from the bottom of the league in rushing to the top.

It could turn around for Portis very rapidly next year without major changes in personnel.