[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Blaylock/Johnson to Share Touches Again

Only In America

KC Chiefs website reporting that they will continue to share touches moving forward to get Johnson more work.

MITCH HOLTHUS: One encouraging thing was you were able to run the ball against a team that was number one in the NFL against the run. You averaged 5.5 yards a carry on 20 carries. How encouraged were you with the running game?

VERMEIL: ‘I was pleased with that. We had 14 carries the first half and that’s maybe where we made a mistake as coaches. We got away from it a little bit in the third quarter and then got back to it. I was pleased with both Derrick Blaylock and Larry Johnson. They ran the ball well. Blaylock averaged 7.1 yards a carry.

“When you go back and you’re playing those teams that are that explosive on offense you keep thinking, gee, we’ve got to score points in a hurry because they’re going to come back and score. Or you think the other way, we’ll just stay on the field and eat up the clock and gradually get a score. The problem is recently they come back and get another one faster than you can get one. It’s been a problem and we haven’t been able to solve it.”

Q: Larry Johnson on a 94-yard scoring drive, he’s got roughly 39 yards on that drive and I counted six broken tackles. Your thoughts on him in his first real time on the field?

VERMEIL: “I was pleased with him; I was proud in how he handled the pressure. He did not seem nervous. I told him before anybody else. I told him before I told any coaches that he was going in on the third series. I told him that Wednesday to get himself mentally ready for it. He was and he played with poise and had one problem with a ‘Mike” linebacker pickup on a play-action pass, but that could happen to the best of them, especially coming out of the ‘I’ formation. We’ll continue to do that and help him grow.”

Blaylock will still be the starter and should see more carries than Johnson but his value will take a small ding.

Vermeil also said this:

Q: How do you plan on using Derrick Blaylock and Larry Johnson on Sunday?

VERMEIL: “It’ll be similar to last week, I’m sure.”

I take that to mean advantage Blaylock, in that he played more series', but LJ will play a decent amount also.

I checked back through the GameBook on NFL.com and I actually think it's good news for Blaylock owners that Vermiel is saying this week will "be similar".

Coach Dick said that he had pre-determined that LJ would play the 3rd series. On that drive LJ got 6 carries. He got his 7th carry as a clock killer with 8 seconds left in the first half- and in the second half saw a grand total of 3 carries.

Vermiel also mentioned that Johnson had some trouble with a blitz pick-up and you can pretty much bet that if Trent Green is still sore that he'll try his best to protect him, and that would mean much more Blaylock.

Don't sweat it fellow Blaylock owners- all is good!

Edited by Marauders11

Johnson saw more touches last week and i see the trend to continue to grow in his favor, it makes no sense for Vermeil not to give the ball to Johnson and see if he is the future........isn't that why he was drafted in the first place?

585430[/snapback]

Blaylock played more than LJ that was my point. And they both had 11 touches when you factor in catches. On top of that Blaylock was in on the last drive.

With that all said here's what I don't get. Both guys are 25, Blaylock has been great when he's played lets be honest about that. LJ averaged 4.3 YPC last week Blaylock averaged 7.1 YPC last week. Blaylock has 7 TD's in VERY limited action. And in Blaylock's "worst" game he still had over 90 total yards against a VERY tough NE D. Why isn't he their future? Why shoudln't we get a look at him. I think people are over rating this LJ thing. LJ and Blaylock are the same age. Personally I think Blaylock is getting a raw deal here. He's been VERY good when he's played. Overall 4.9 YPC for Blaylock and LJ is at 4 YPC. Come on Blaylock is better period.

You can convince yourself all you'd like but the reality is it's Johnson's job in waiting and he has just been in Vermeil's doghouse, otherwise Blaylock might be on the practice squad  :D

585463[/snapback]

While I think it's going too far to say don't sweat it Blaylock owners I think you are off also OhioSt. What do you base this on? Do you have LJ, like LJ, or dislike Blaylock, because you aren't basing it on fact. He is right when he said 6 of LJ's carries came in 1 series. I showed you the #'s and how they CLEARLY favor Blaylock. So you aren't basing this on fact. You either have LJ or dislike Blaylock. Now I have NO clue what will happen, but Blayloc deserves to play. LJ might get more of a chance, only Vermeil knows, but facts support playing Blaylock.

While I think it's going too far to say don't sweat it Blaylock owners I think you are off also OhioSt. What do you base this on? Do you have LJ, like LJ, or dislike Blaylock, because you aren't basing it on fact. He is right when he said 6 of LJ's carries came in 1 series. I showed you the #'s and how they CLEARLY favor Blaylock. So you aren't basing this on fact. You either have LJ or dislike Blaylock. Now I have NO clue what will happen, but Blayloc deserves to play. LJ might get more of a chance, only Vermeil knows, but facts support playing Blaylock.

585471[/snapback]

I don't own either but logic would tell you that now that Holmes may decide to shut it down for the year, the Chiefs have no playoff hopes and management has invested alot in Johnson and nothing in Blaylock would factor in on the playing time. Johnson has been in Vermeils doghouse since pre season and IMO if it were up to him, Johnson would still be sitting but the powers that be must be putting pressure on him to play and IMO it's only a matter of a few games (if Holmes doesn't return) that Blaylock will be a distant memory .

Edited by theeohiostate

I don't own either but logic would tell you that now that Holmes may decide to shut it down for the year, the Chiefs have no playoff hopes and management has invested alot in Johnson and nothing in Blaylock.  Johnson has been in Vermeils doghouse since pre season and IMO if it were up to him, Johnson would still be sitting but the powers that be must be putting pressure on him to play and IMO it's only a matter of a few games (if Holmes doesn't return) that Blaylock will be a distant memory .

585509[/snapback]

Fair enough I respect your opinion. I just laugh when I think about that. Not at you but at KC. EVERY single # you throw out favors Blaylock. EVERY ONE. Even last week in LJ's "good" game he averged 4.3 YPC to Blaylock's 7.1 YPC. From EVERY single thing we've seen this year from A to Z Blaylock is better and they are BOTH 25. I think Blaylock gets a raw deal if LJ gets more than him.

Fair enough I respect your opinion. I just laugh when I think about that. Not at you but at KC. EVERY single # you throw out favors Blaylock. EVERY ONE. Even last week in LJ's "good" game he averged 4.3 YPC to Blaylock's 7.1 YPC. From EVERY single thing we've seen this year from A to Z Blaylock is better and they are BOTH 25. I think Blaylock gets a raw deal if LJ gets more than him.

585519[/snapback]

I agree, but high draft picks are ALWAYS given a legitimate shot and LJ has his coming.

Kitna would have led the Bengals to the playoffs this year IMO, but we have Palmer . That's just how this business is, Palmer could fall on his face and Kitna could be a starter elsewhere.

I agree, but high draft picks are ALWAYS given a legitimate shot and LJ has his coming.

Kitna would have led the Bengals to the playoffs this year IMO, but we have Palmer . That's just how this business is, Palmer could fall on his face and Kitna could be a starter elsewhere.

585542[/snapback]

I agree but lets remember that LJ was a low to mid 20's pick not # 1 like Palmer. I don't know I just think Blaylock is getting the short end here. He has looked so good and LJ has looked at best average. But I'm sure LJ will get his this weekend that I don't doubt. I still expect Blaylock to play more, but LJ will get some as well.

What Johnson has over Blaylock is size.  He's 6'1" 230 vs. 5.11" 210.

Size isn't everything in an NFL back, but most teams would generally prefer a larger back for strength and durability issues.  Blaylock is not undersized, he's just not the moose that LJ is.

585552[/snapback]

Very true and very sad. For 2 inches and 20 lbs we should forget that Blaylock has clearly looked better and LJ has looked average at best. What I find funny is how everyone says what a good game LJ had last week. Again he averaged 4.3 YPC to Blaylock's 7.1 YPC last week. To me that's funny.

Both guys are 25, Blaylock has been great when he's played lets be honest about that.  Why isn't he their future? Why shoudln't we get a look at him. I think people are over rating this LJ thing. LJ and Blaylock are the same age. Personally I think Blaylock is getting a raw deal here. He's been VERY good when he's played.

585464[/snapback]

Maybe Vermeil wants to showcase LJ for an off-season trade.

Very true and very sad. For 2 inches and 20 lbs we should forget that Blaylock has clearly looked better and LJ has looked average at best. What I find funny is how everyone says what a good game LJ had last week. Again he averaged 4.3 YPC to Blaylock's 7.1 YPC last week. To me that's funny.

585585[/snapback]

We also should not forget that Blaylock has had more of a chance to play and become comfortable in the offense. We also should not forget that Holmes does not average 7 YPC, and nobody is advocating sitting Holmes for Blaylock.

It will sort itself out.

We also should not forget that Blaylock has had more of a chance to play and become comfortable in the offense.  We also should not forget that Holmes does not average 7 YPC, and nobody is advocating sitting Holmes for Blaylock.

It will sort itself out.

585639[/snapback]

No that was 7.1 YPC in one game. For the season Blaylock is at 4.9 YPC to LJ's 4.0 YPC. To me those #'s speak volumes. Blaylock has played enough to say that 4.9 YPC # is pretty real. Just think he's getting screwed a bit that's all.

No that was 7.1 YPC in one game. For the season Blaylock is at 4.9 YPC to LJ's 4.0 YPC. To me those #'s speak volumes. Blaylock has played enough to say that 4.9 YPC # is pretty real. Just think he's getting screwed a bit that's all.

585646[/snapback]

I know it is one game :D I also know that blaylock has a higher YPC on the season than Holmes by .3 yards. I still don't think it means much.

First, blaylock got an absolute ton of yards in a garbage time game against atlanta when he and holmes both rushed for 4 scores.

I also think that, regardless of when he got the yards, he has played well.

I also think that the Chiefs need to give their first round draft pick a chance to run on a more regular basis, regardless of what it does to your fantasy team :D

I know it is one game  :D  I also know that blaylock has a higher YPC on the season than Holmes by .3 yards.  I still don't think it means much.

First, blaylock got an absolute ton of yards in a garbage time game against atlanta when he and holmes both rushed for 4 scores.

I also think that, regardless of when he got the yards, he has played well.

I also think that the Chiefs need to give their first round draft pick a chance to run on a more regular basis, regardless of what it does to your fantasy team :D

585684[/snapback]

Truthfully this has NOTHING to do with my fantasy team. I have Edge, Lewis, and Portis on my team. Even if Blaylock got 0 carries for the rest of the year it really means nothing to me. From a fair standpoint Blaylock has been the MUCH better RB, and should be the main guy there. LJ to me has been at best average and even that is being kind.

Edited by giantsfan

LJ to me has been at best average and even that is being kind.

585705[/snapback]

:D  He's had 21 carries on the season.  Are you that good of a talent evaluator?

585821[/snapback]

I was talking about Blaylock. Blaylock's 4.9 YPC avg is gotten with enough carries.

585831[/snapback]

No...you made this statement about LJ, which lead to my mention of the 21 carries. I am asking how you could possibly know that in 21 carries?

No...you made this statement about LJ, which lead to my mention of the 21 carries.  I am asking how you could possibly know that in 21 carries?

585897[/snapback]

The YPC average was in reference to Blaylock. That says he's good. The comment that LJ has been at best average can be seen in 21 carries. You can see him run he is an at best average RB just like most of the other Big 10 RB's have been for some reason. With only 21 carries the 4.0 YPC average doesn't mean much. But watch him play, watch Blaylock and his 4.9 YPC average and 7 TD's play and you realize Blaylock is better and LJ is average.

Edited by giantsfan