[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colts Defense Is Improving...

Jrick35

The much maligned Colts defense which is currently ranked 31st in the NFL is ranked 14th in the Aikman Efficiency Ratings.

Maybe this unit isn't as bad as everyone is saying.

They jumped 4 places from last week and seem to be improving every week.

Along with the Offense this is an excellent sign for Colts fans.

Go Colts!!

Let's not forget games at NE, vs. GB, at KC, vs. Minn. Four pretty good offenses. And, so you know, Houston is ranked 14th in offense. If you're going to point out the bad teams, you gotta mention the good ones. And the Colts lead the NFL in forced turnovers and turnover differential.

Let's not forget games at NE, vs. GB, at KC, vs. Minn.  Four pretty good offenses.  And, so you know, Houston is ranked 14th in offense.  If you're going to point out the bad teams, you gotta mention the good ones.  And the Colts lead the NFL in forced turnovers and turnover differential.

586021[/snapback]

Just pointing out a possibility of why they had been improving as of late... and they SMOKED Houston. :D

Heck, I'm a Viking fan so I understand what it's like to be desperate for any type of positives on Defense.

Let's not forget games at NE, vs. GB, at KC, vs. Minn.  Four pretty good offenses.  And, so you know, Houston is ranked 14th in offense.  If you're going to point out the bad teams, you gotta mention the good ones.  And the Colts lead the NFL in forced turnovers and turnover differential.

586021[/snapback]

NE - 27 points

Green Bay - 31 points

KC - 45 points

Minn - 28 points

Were you pointing out these 4 games to help the Colts D or point out that they didn't do so well.............

I've never said they were great. But they are better than people give them credit for. Some of the reasons they are ranked so low in PASSING YARDAGE, is the good offenses they have had to play this year and the amount of garbage time passing they have given up when protecting big leads. . .

Edited by CaptainHook

I've never said they were great.  But they are better  than people give them credit for.  Some of the reasons they are ranked so low in PASSING YARDAGE, is the good offenses they have had to play this year and the amount of garbage time passing they have given up when protecting  big leads. . .

586092[/snapback]

No the reason they are so low in passing yardard is completely the garbage time. Teams have to abandon the run early against them. Their defense is looking better because it is very easy to rush the passer and get pressure when you are 100% sure they are going to pass the ball.

I've never said they were great.  But they are better  than people give them credit for.  Some of the reasons they are ranked so low in PASSING YARDAGE, is the good offenses they have had to play this year and the amount of garbage time passing they have given up when protecting  big leads. . .

586092[/snapback]

Not to mention almost every team is down by double digits and forced to pass to try and catch up.

No the reason they are so low in passing yardard is completely the garbage time. Teams have to abandon the run early against them. Their defense is looking better because it is very easy to rush the passer and get pressure when you are 100% sure they are going to pass the ball.

586125[/snapback]

I wouldn't go that far. The pass defense looked horrible at home vs. Jax and at KC in back-to-back losses. They have looked better, but part of that was due to the great play by rookie S Bob Sanders, who will miss a couple more weeks with a knee injury.

I wouldn't go that far.  The pass defense looked horrible at home vs. Jax and at KC in back-to-back losses.  They have looked better, but part of that was due to the great play by rookie S Bob Sanders, who will miss a couple more weeks with a knee injury.

586134[/snapback]

You are right there...he is a huge addition to their D.

No matter how poor their defensive stats are, there's one guy that's absolutely scary on the pass rush...  Dwight Freeney.  That guy is as quick off the corner as anyone I've seen in the NFL this year.  Maybe KGB in Green Bay is close.

586788[/snapback]

Peppers is just as fast, if not faster.

I really, really hope the Steelers play the Colts in the playoffs. Not that I think it would guarantee a Steeler's victory, but I would love to see the contrasting styles of offense and team philosophies collide. I'd also like to see how good that Colts defense is in the 4th quarter after facing the Steelers rushing attack all day. OTOH, if the Colts get out to an early lead it would take Pittsburgh out of their comfort zone, and it would be great to see Big Ben respond to that in a positive way. But as I said, the contrasting styles, how the game unfolds, who scores first, who has the momentum at what time of the game, and all that stuff would be very exciting I think. It wouldn't surprise me if either team got blown out, or if it was a close game in the 4th quarter.... I want to see it.

IMO there is not a better pass rusher in the league than Freeny..the Colts defensive unit is definately not as bad as their stats would indicate..they still need to get stronger by playoff time to make a serious run at it all.... the defense has showed signs of improving but the secondary is still very shaky....they are gonna play teams in the playoffs that WILL shut down their offense,in those games is where Edge and the Defense are gonna have to get it done.

BTW, what the hell is the Aikman Efficiency Ratings :D

587141[/snapback]

Currently ther NFL Ranks Offenses & Defenses based solely on yards gained or allowed.

The AER is a system that Troy Aikman has devised for rating Offenses & Defenses on more than just yards gained or allowed. It actually uses 7 different categories to rate teams and it is preferred by many of the NFL's Head Coaches as a reference to how their teams are performing.

Here is the description of his system from NFL.com

The Aikman Efficiency Ratings measure offensive and defensive performance using a combination of seven key statistics identified by Troy Aikman, and then measured against league norms (and extremes) established over the last 10 years. An offense or defense performing exactly at league norms in all categories will achieve a score of 75.

It will take a truly exceptional unit to score more than 90 during an entire season on either the offensive or defensive scale. In 2003, AER scores ranged on offense from 93.95 (Kansas City) to 63.55 (New York Giants) and on defense from 86.87 (New England) to 62.60 (San Diego).

The seven categories measured are:

Adjusted Points (20 percent) -- Total Points Scored or Allowed minus Points on Returns and Safeties.

Turnovers (20 percent).

Red Zone Efficiency (20 percent) -- Measured by Percent of Possible Points (figured by taking the number of Red Zone Chances times 7, then dividing it by the number of Points Actually Scored (defined as TDs times 7 plus FGs times 3).

Yards Per Play -- Divided into Yards Per Rush (10 percent of total) and Yards Per Pass Play (10 percent of total). Yards Per Pass Play includes yards on plays involving sacks.

First Down Achievement -- Divided into Total First Downs (10 percent of total) and 3rd Down Conversion Percentage (10 percent of total).

And here is a link to the complete ratings.Aikman Efficiency Ratings

First: :D at being happy that they are ranked 14th.

Second: According to the TSWRTBDTCTDTP* rating the Colts defense isn't going to be good enough to win them a championship this year.

Third: Since you don't have a disclaimer in your sig about sarcasm like BengalMania does, I'm just fooling around... mostly :D

*The Steelers will run the ball down the Colts throat during the playoffs

I picked up the Colts Defense this week specifically for their week 15 match-up against Baltimore at the RCA Dome.

With the prospect of no Jamal Lewis and Boller HAVING to pass 30+ times to keep up, this could pay huge dividends. (I hope)

I have Baltimore's D, but guess what I am doing the old switcheroo and sitting them week 15.

First:  :D at being happy that they are ranked 14th.

Second:  According to the TSWRTBDTCTDTP* rating the Colts defense isn't going to be good enough to win them a championship this year.

Third:  Since you don't have a disclaimer in your sig about sarcasm like BengalMania does, I'm just fooling around... mostly  :D

*The Steelers will run the ball down the Colts throat during the playoffs

587223[/snapback]

Sarcasm is most appreciated. In fact it is an art form.

BTW does TSWRTBDTCTDTP* actually stand for something?

I like your loyalty to your Steelers although have you noticed what this thread is lacking?

Not one Pats fan has been in here to brag about their team. Almost every Colts thread draws that. Do you think they are losing faith?

And I agree with you about the possibilities of a Steelers-Colts playoff game. That could be a great game.