[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colts Defense Is Improving...

Jrick35

No matter how poor their defensive stats are, there's one guy that's absolutely scary on the pass rush...  Dwight Freeney.  That guy is as quick off the corner as anyone I've seen in the NFL this year.  Maybe KGB in Green Bay is close.

586788[/snapback]

This D reminds me of the St. Louis superbowl D's. Sort of coming out of nowhere and improving every week. A flat out scary offense can really screw up the opposing teams offense allowing the colts D to blitz like mad. This week I've sort of made a mental note to stay away from the colts D for now. Maybe I'm wrong, but they really are playing well.

BTW, Peppers is not faster than Freeney. Living in NC and watching the Panthers play every weekend I can tell you that right now Freeney scares me more than Peppers isn't good. Just right now Freeney seems to be better.

BTW does TSWRTBDTCTDTP* actually stand for something?

587264[/snapback]

It was in the original post:

The Steelers will run the ball down the Colts throat during the playoffs

Jokes aren't funny if they need to be explained. Unfortunately, I am used to having to explain my jokes :D

It was in the original post:

The Steelers will run the ball down the Colts throat during the playoffs

Jokes aren't funny if they need to be explained.  Unfortunately, I am used to having to explain my jokes :D

587709[/snapback]

Actually that was funny despite needing to be explained. :D

Peppers is just as fast, if not faster..........

...  Dwight Freeney.  That guy is as quick off the corner as anyone I've seen in the NFL this year.  Maybe KGB in Green Bay is close.

586858[/snapback]

IMO, Freeney runs so far around the tackle, he takes himself out of 50% of the plays.

Also, I read an article before last years AFC Championship, and the stats for Freeney on run plays was downright scary (bad), I don't recall the numbers.

He has 21 tackles and 7 sacks this year, nothing to validate all the hype he receives from play by play and commentators.

IMO, Freeney runs so far around the tackle, he takes himself out of 50% of the plays.

Also, I read an article before last years AFC Championship, and the stats for Freeney on run plays was downright scary (bad), I don't recall the numbers.

He has 21 tackles and 7 sacks this year, nothing to validate all the hype he receives from play by play and commentators.

588183[/snapback]

He does that because he is responsible for the outside contain. He is coached to do that. The linebacker is responsible for the gap between him and the DT. Freeney's responsibility is to take away the outside.

You are right about his game in the AFC Championship. Freeney is not the same on snowy, muddy turf. But then again, no defensive lineman is. You'd think rain/snow would hurt the passing game, but it usually slows down defenders more. . .

Oh, and by comparison, Richard Seymour has only 28 tackles and four sacks. :D

Edited by CaptainHook

The article had nothing to do with the AFC Championship game itself (muddy, snowy), it was in reference to the lack of plays Feeney had on run plays. Basically being non-existant against the run.

So, Semour has similar numbers, a few more tackles and a few less sacks, but they google about Freeney almost as much as Farve on the national telecasts.

IMO he is a great pash rusher, but he is one dimensional and might be hyped a bit too much.

Run stuffing is not his responsibility in that defense. But I agree, it is not his strong suit. But that is the norm with a RE. Usually, they are undersized speed rushers who sack the QB. Finding the guy like Strahan that can rush from his LE spot and sack the QB as well as defend the run is much rarer find. Freeney can be a one-man wrecking crew though. Check out the Miami or Tennessee game last year, or the Vikings game this year. At his size, the Colts did not draft him for his run-stopping abilities, but his non-stop motor, and his ability to sack the QB. He has also been double and triple teamed A LOT this year, more than ever before. Check out the sack totals of Montae Reagor and Robert Mathis if you really want to see his impact.

So, Semour has similar numbers, a few more tackles and a few less sacks, but they google about Freeney almost as much as Farve on the national telecasts.

588731[/snapback]

Not only is that untrue, but it's also an incredibly stupid thing to say. The media do not "google about Freeney almost as much as Favre." Not even close. Hell, I remember watching ESPN's pre-game show prior to this season's opener and the question, "Who do you take: Freeney or Seymour" was brought up. The pundits picked Seymour.

I agree that Freeney isn't a great run-stopper (in fact, Brad Scioli will be playing first down and obvious run downs this weekend), but neither is Simeon Rice. I'll take someone like Rice or Freeney over an end who can't rush the passer any day.

Not only is that untrue, but it's also an incredibly stupid thing to say.  The media do not "google about Freeney almost as much as Favre."  Not even close.  Hell, I remember watching ESPN's pre-game show prior to this season's opener and the question, "Who do you take: Freeney or Seymour" was brought up.  The pundits picked Seymour.

I agree that Freeney isn't a great run-stopper (in fact, Brad Scioli will be playing first down and obvious run downs this weekend), but neither is Simeon Rice.  I'll take someone like Rice or Freeney over an end who can't rush the passer any day.

589149[/snapback]

ESPN studio pregame is much different than a "national telecast", mainly meaning Sunday or Monday night. And yes, they do google over him.

Edited by Patsfan04